PDA

View Full Version : Project St. Tropez

jg480
08-31-2009, 04:20 AM
Last night my next project arrived. I can't wait to get started on her but It will probably not be till spring. Can anyone tell me where I can find the Hull #'s I need to try and Identify this thing so that I can put it in my name. Thanks Jim.

Morgan's Cloud
08-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Ah , Jim ... You're part of an exclusive club now ... :biggrin.:

I bought mine believeing it was a '66 ... The hardware was time correct but , as touched on in my 'klub St Tropez' thread , I have been over every square inch of the boat , in and out and have yet to find any number anywhere .

No , not under the deck anywhere ... not anywhere in the console, not up by the bow eye and I'm pretty sure that mine pre-dated the foil tag thing and it certainly pre-dated the HIN's being made on the hull stern .

Do you have an idea as to the year of yours ?

I'm sure that someone here said just recently that on the very early ones there were more than likely some that had NO numbers at all ... anywhere ..

BTW .. does yours have two tanks or just one ..... ?

Steve

jg480
08-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Steve, I have no idea what year it is, Hell I don't even know how many years Donzi made the boat or how many were made. I just knew I wanted one. I'm going to look it over tonight after my wife gets home and I'll let you know about the gas tank.
Jim

rustnrot
08-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Glad it got there okay. I guess the tires and bearings held out?

Now is your chance (I have done it before several times on old boats) to make it whatever year you want!

I also learned long ago not to bother registering it until it is completely ready for the water (in my case I have saved years and years of "wasted" fees).

jg480
08-31-2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah Mark it made it! No blow outs, one bad bearing that she changed in TN. and one broken leaf spring about an hour from my house. Gottalove those Michigan roads.
Poodle there isn't any drivetrain left in it I'll look around it tonight for some hints of it's age.
Jim

rustnrot
08-31-2009, 04:19 PM
FYI I am Tom=rustnrot. Mark the seller is yesyoucan. I will check with you next summer on my annual Michigan visit.

This will be a great boat for the Great Lakes, I can see it pulling up to the River Crab now!

jg480
08-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Sorry about that Tom! I've got a cottage on that island across from the River Crab. Look me up next time your in Michigan I'll take you for a ride in this one. It should be done it's 2 year resto next week.
Jim

olredalert
08-31-2009, 07:00 PM
------jg480,,,Just wondering where you live here in Mi.? I am just south of St.Clair and it sounds as if you are in the area.........Mr.Bill

jg480
08-31-2009, 07:12 PM
Bill, I live on Bluebill, right by the Colony tower, we've spoke before about the coral 16' in Algonac. My neighbor's buddy put the teak floor in your El Pescador. I've been telling Bob Stone that I'd like to meet with you sometime and pick you brain. If you have some free time give me a call.
Jim 810-794-0216

jg480
08-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Steve, the gas tank was replaced by some butcher, but oddly enough there are two original vent fittings.
Jim

jonzis donzi
08-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Where did you get that cool dash?

jg480
08-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Got the dash from Nisonger.

Morgan's Cloud
09-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Jim , where did the butcher put the new tank ?

Interesting that you've got two hull vents .... On mine , one tank is under the cockpit floor at the very front of the boat , and well hidden . The other is under the console . Total tankage = 42 gallons , or what the original brochure called for . The front had never been changed and was only 22 gallons so I know that mine had to come from the factory rigged this way. Others it seems only have one tank running from partially under the console up into the fwd lazarette.

I would hazard a guess that the two tank ones may be older than the one tank models ....

One of the things to look out for on your to do list is to check the full length strakes about 3 feet in front of the transom . I can think of more than one that had structural cracks in them in that spot !

Steve