PDA

View Full Version : Visit to the Corvette Museum yesterday...

roadtrip se
08-30-2009, 09:25 AM
The weather looked iffy yesterday morning, so we shot over to Bowling Green and ran through the recently expanded Corvette Museum.

If you like cars, it was great before, but now it is better than ever with the old cars, the people behind them, the racing legacy, the concepts, and even the development story for the C6 and its derivatives.

Random photos...

roadtrip se
08-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Very cool place...

BUIZILLA
08-30-2009, 09:36 AM
love the wheels on that Astro..

roadtrip se
08-30-2009, 09:36 AM
:convertib::convertib::convertib::yes:

MOP
08-30-2009, 12:38 PM
I had an old faded 53 with a blue flame 6, 3 carbs, cast header and a two speed powerglide. I had a 3 speed 250hp split 63 bright red, was a sweet ride that I won second place in the NY State Gymkhana against the three time holder. I can only imagine what they would be worth today, kind of goes along with a few of the toys I had years back. If we only knew what we know now many of us could be pretty wealthy.

Ghost
08-30-2009, 03:53 PM
love the wheels on that Astro..

Love the Astro on those wheels...

Where has that been? I want the Vette that looks like THAT.

The Hedgehog
08-30-2009, 09:44 PM
That is always a good stop.

What did the new expansions include? It sounds like I need to go by for another visit.

roadtrip se
08-31-2009, 04:17 PM
The place looks to have doubled in size.

From what I can re-collect from my previous visits to the place, the additions are:

1) There is a theater that shows a film running through the history of the car.

2) Much more display space with a greater emphasis on racing, concepts, and development of the c5 and c6.

3) The nursery, with a corral of ready to be delivered cars, can make a grown man cry, if he doesn't have Jay Leno's wallet.

4) A huge collector's store, cafe, and meeting hall.

5) More interactive displays. Example. The ZR1 Nurenburg (sp) Loop driver video plays in front of the actual prototype car that ran it. Very sweet...

6) More displays about the people behind the car.

Overall, I thought the museum did a great job in the past of showcasing the history of the car, and now, it has a more modern bend to it, with the addition of the newer generation stuff. Some of the purists might not like it, but the cooperation between GM and the museum is evident.

End result? A great place for a car guy. If you are like me, you have driven past this place a thousand times and never stop in that often.

Do it.

The Hedgehog
08-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks SE.

I will make the stop. I tend to do some work in the Bowling Green area and have been contemplating a revisit. I am sold.