PDA

View Full Version : Will Fountain/Baja Survive

Carl C
08-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Just wondering what you guys think........

chappy
08-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Yes.

Carl C
08-28-2009, 09:25 AM
I don't even know how to vote myself!!! I could see it going either way. I guess I'd like to see Faja survive but if they don't it will be less competition for Donzi Marine.

Carl C
08-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Buiz, sorry, I screwed up and had to lock out the duplicate poll.

BUIZILLA
08-28-2009, 09:47 AM
maybe Captain Delete Key will move the post over here.. :lookaroun:

BlownCrewCab
08-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Kinda like Cigarette, When times are slow someone will buy it thinking it's a money maker just because of the name, they will Put an azz load of money in it trying to make it look like a success then they too will realize only a select few ever made money in the Boat biz and they will sell it and history will repeat it's self again. Reggie may stay with the first one or two owners then he'll retire or start anouther boat co called "Mountain" with a big Lump on the deck....If you can sell a boat with a beak, you can sell a boat with a lump on the deck. He'll make videos and commercials on how the Lump makes it the extra special fastest, extra super safest and extra ultra best handling and the people will flock to see the boat with a Big nipple on the deck concieved by the Lil Man with fake colored Slicked Back Hair only this time he'll call Himself "Wedgie" Cause he's trying to be a pain in the azz so he can get his real co back and extract every last valuble dollar out of it...

chappy
08-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Kinda like Cigarette, When times are slow someone will buy it thinking it's a money maker just because of the name, they will Put an azz load of money in it trying to make it look like a success then they too will realize only a select few ever made money in the Boat biz and they will sell it and history will repeat it's self again. Reggie may stay with the first one or two owners then he'll retire or start anouther boat co called "Mountain" with a big Lump on the deck....If you can sell a boat with a beak, you can sell a boat with a lump on the deck. He'll make videos and commercials on how the Lump makes it the extra special fastest, extra super safest and extra ultra best handling and the people will flock to see the boat with a Big nipple on the deck concieved by the Lil Man with fake colored Slicked Back Hair only this time he'll call Himself "Wedgie" Cause he's trying to be a pain in the azz so he can get his real co back and extract every last valuble dollar out of it...

Wedgie.

:rofl:

Schnook
08-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Whatever happens, just the name has a ton of value. What re-emerges may or may not be the same physical co. but someone will want the marketing value of the name. Now whether or not they choose to include Mr. Fountain in the new venture will remain to be seen.

VetteLT193
08-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Most Fountain owners are loyal to the brand, for good reason, because they are great boats.

I know there are a bunch of haters of Fountain but I wouldn't hesitate buying one. I looked when I bought my Minx (wanted a 24CS). Looked again before the buying the ZXO. They hold their value so well they never seem to be a real option.

So... Fountain will make it, one way or another.

gold-n-rod
08-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Kinda like Cigarette, When times are slow someone will buy it thinking it's a money maker just because of the name, they will Put an azz load of money in it trying to make it look like a success then they too will realize only a select few ever made money in the Boat biz and they will sell it and history will repeat it's self again.

One could easily replace "Cigarette" with "Donzi" in this scenario, could they not?

mrfixxall
08-28-2009, 12:40 PM

LAMO!!!! But aint it the truth:)

Ghost
08-28-2009, 12:51 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/image.php?u=2863&dateline=1251478332 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/member.php?u=2863)

Pardon the hijack, but Gold-n-rod, is that avatar a young Patrick Roy before Ritalin?

mattyboy
08-28-2009, 12:57 PM
my answer would be yes but they have to bring spending on brylcreem and gold chains in line ;) :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6F4GtyRfto

gold-n-rod
08-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Pardon the hijack, but Gold-n-rod, is that avatar a young Patrick Roy before Ritalin?

No, that's me! People tell me I got my Uncle Charlie's eyes? What do you think?

Conquistador_del_mar
08-28-2009, 01:20 PM

I think that guy needs to put down the crack pipe - he's got the Manson look. Bill

chappy
08-28-2009, 01:24 PM

I think you won the 100 yard dash in the 90 yard gym.:biggrin.:

BlownCrewCab
08-28-2009, 01:42 PM
I was starting to look like that for a week or more at a time, Thats why I had to leave Miami:party::party::party: Tooooo Much Partying:yes:

Ghost
08-28-2009, 01:50 PM

LOL, I think your Aunt knew fear. :) Funny picture--your expression cracks me up. Should be in a movie somewhere.

As for Fountain, I wonder. I suppose that quality and names that have a good reputation will continue to exist in some fashion, but who knows in what form. A college buddy of mine had some crappy aftermarket radio in his car and I remember the creepy feeling I got when I saw a "Marantz" label on it. I always heard good things about Fountain's stuff, hopefully if things are consolidated, some of it will stay around and it won't just be a good name plastered on junk.

BUIZILLA
08-28-2009, 01:55 PM
I think you won the 100 yard dash in the 90 yard gym.:biggrin.: does that mean there's a 10 yard deep dent in the wall?

Donzi_Dude
08-28-2009, 03:16 PM
sorry but, they have no intent on emerging from bankruptcy.

Fountain is done. Baja will be bought and the name will carry on.

silverghost
08-28-2009, 11:13 PM
I happen to LIKE Reggie Fountain !
The last of a breed !
He is a Real raceboat driver!
Operates the helm & throttle himself !
You just don't see this done anymore!
Now days it takes THREE to pilot a raceboat !
The guy with more money than brains steers the boat.
The second guy operates the throttles~
The third guy tells them where to go~
Sorta like Moe, Larry, & Curley !
Now who really needs a specialized throttleman anyway?
Not I & not Reggie !
In fact~~~ We don't need to lug that third guy around either!
That's a 450 lb weight savings !
Go Reggie !
GO FOUNTAIN !

mike o
09-03-2009, 06:58 PM
This conversation does beg the question: If Fountain goes by the wayside, what does it do to the value of the boats? In reality, like ours they are just a fiberglass shell carrying other manufacturers products, nothing exotic there.. I wonder if the same could be asked with the 16 and 18 classics's. Since their future is still up in the air ( last I read here) with the new management. I wonder how many 16's and 18's where built in the last 5 years. I think they will all survive.:crossfing:

dr
09-05-2009, 05:26 AM
I don’t know the boating business, so does this mean Donzi as we know it or otherwise will survive...

Cuda
09-05-2009, 09:06 AM
I think they will all three make it.

mike o
09-05-2009, 09:41 AM
I think they will all three make it. Yes sir Mr Cuda. The cream always rises to the top.

Carl C
09-05-2009, 11:08 AM
I'd like to see them all survive and prosper but if there has to be a thinning out it would be a shame to lose Donzi and it's rich history. I'd bet Reggie could start a new successful company. I respect what Reg has done but his boats just don't have the mystique they once had.

Marlin275
09-05-2009, 11:17 AM
it would be a shame to lose Donzi and it's rich history.

Donzi will survive
the name alone is worth millions
look at Chris-Craft and Cigarette they can't die
they just keep selling to new owners

Donzi is more famous than 95% of the boats on the market!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50305&d=1252167655

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50306&d=1252167678

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50307&d=1252167844

mike o
09-05-2009, 12:13 PM
That 21-22' chris craft shown above is an extremely popular boat around here. I was told its one of their..... or is.... the best selling boat they make? The classic look is what does it. So what does that say...................:kingme:

Cuda
09-06-2009, 12:16 PM
his boats just don't have the mystique they once had.
That's a matter of opinion. I don't particularly like Fountains, but there are some die hard Fountain fans that will debate that.

Carl C
09-06-2009, 02:50 PM
That's a matter of opinion. I don't particularly like Fountains, but there are some die hard Fountain fans that will debate that.

Fountain is a good boat and I used to dream of someday owning a 42' Fountain. It was my absolute dream boat. Now that would be an OL or MTI.

Cuda
09-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Fountain is a good boat and I used to dream of someday owning a 42' Fountain. It was my absolute dream boat. Now that would be an OL or MTI.
Mine is a rowboat from Sears.

mattyboy
09-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Donzi will survive
the name alone is worth millions
look at Chris-Craft and Cigarette they can't die
they just keep selling to new owners

Donzi is more famous than 95% of the boats on the market!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50305&d=1252167655

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50306&d=1252167678

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50307&d=1252167844

Marlin but look at the pics you posted the Chris Craft and the Cig still have the lines and the looks that made them famous . That Chris Craft launch if it was made of wood could be their brochure boat from 1962, once a company looses it's identity it is lost!!!!! more people know donzi for the 16 and 18 than they do for ZR or ZRC

Cuda
09-07-2009, 07:29 AM
In my opinion, Donzi would be making a grave mistake if they discontinue the Classic line. The 39's and the talk of a Donzi cat puts Donzi in direct competetion with companies that have years more experience, and years more reputation for building such boats.

There is an old saying that "dance with who brung ya". The 16 is who brung Donzi to the dance.

osur866
09-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Don't really know how to vote on this one, however I will say this about Fountain, Anyone that has every visited LOTO will tell you it is Fountain country, you are hard pressed to find a Donzi at the docks but will have no problem seeing many I mean many a beak boats at the docks or running up and down the the wherever you go. My point is this, different parts of the country have a different saceration level of Donzi's or beak boats, heck go out west and you find mostly go fast deck boats, in this weak state of affairs with many of business going under I think any could go by the wayside at any given point right now. Would it be a sad day if several do, sure less competition means the end user is the looser and that's us the boat owners and future buyers of boats. Just my .02 worth Steve

Ghost
09-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Bayliner will buy the name and put a beak on this: <ducking>

http://www.walleye.com/boatads2008/morleyboat.jpg

Feels like the names will be bought because they are good names. I do wonder what the reality will be for any marque, in design, who actually builds and how they build, and what plants remain. Very sad.