PDA

View Full Version : Merc. vs. OMC

dbsummers
08-28-2009, 08:17 AM
So I'm looking for some input/advise on this whole OMC is "not as good" as Merc. Thing. I've always just been around Merc. boats but I'm looking at a 22 C with an OMC.

Is the OMC (in people's opinions) not as "good" as Merc? Why or why not? Not as reliable? lesser performance?

What's the story here? Can you folks shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

Dan

undertaker
08-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Dan.......PM Dr. Dan he has a HP500 hooked to a King Cobra drive....he has a lot of seat time with this set up he will be able to answer some of your questions.....FYI his boat runs very strong......

Dr. Dan is doing a poker run this weekend so he might not get back to you ASAP but when he returns next week I am sure he will PM you back..

Undertaker

Carl C
08-28-2009, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't say "not as good". To me it is just less common, harder to find parts for and a bit of a white elephant so not as easy to sell. The 460/King Cobra is a proven package but how many are out there compared to the 454/502/Bravo package?

VetteLT193
08-28-2009, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't say "not as good". To me it is just less common, harder to find parts for and a bit of a white elephant so not as easy to sell. The 460/King Cobra is a proven package but how many are out there compared to the 454/502/Bravo package?

That's right on.

Many people see the King Cobra as a better drive than the Bravo.

But, the market for re-sale has far fewer buyers so there is a big price difference... OMC being the 'deal' for prospective buyers. Parts are getting more and more rare but still can be found. compared to Merc though, forget about it. Merc parts are easy to find and they are easy to find a good prices. So, pay for it now or pay for it later I guess.

MOP
08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
There was doubt a few years back about the quality, that has been shot down many times. The standard Cobra is stronger the a standard Alpha, the hump top King Cobra has gained a very good reputation and without doubt stronger then most models of Bravo's. The caveats are all stated above, parts are getting scarce and resale is lower.

goatee
08-28-2009, 09:36 AM
carl is right on the money. better or not, its harder to find service and parts.

mattyboy
08-28-2009, 01:47 PM
all that has been said is true but let me give you another view of this.

Dr Dan's boat has been mentioned it is running a 500efi for several seasons he has had a minor drive problem that he had fixed but the last big problem was on the merc side of the king cobra - merc marriage.

I would not hesitate to buy a king cobra driven OMC boat provided the hull is in good shape. pocket the money that is saved buying it over a merc boat in similar shape and age . keep the money for a rainy day . "If" that rainy day does come bolt a volvo replacement on it and enjoy ;)

The Hedgehog
08-28-2009, 06:24 PM
I would say it depends on where you want to go with it.

There is nothing wrong with the Cobra drive. It is strong and you can buy them cheaper. If you are one that is always modifying things and moving up, it will be easier done with a Merc Bravo. The Cobra is a great drive up to 500hp (maybe more) and 70 mph. You can do external hydraulic steering on them. It is more expensive but doable. You can not get a shorty for them.

VetteLT193
08-28-2009, 08:46 PM
They don't need a shorty. And having driven the good Dr's boat a time or two, I can tell you 70 isn't even close to their limit..

70 isn't the limit of a 500 HP Bravo 1 either.

Air 22
08-28-2009, 09:13 PM
The fine Dr and I were on our maiden voyage together running 22C's w/ HP500EFI's @ AOTH this year...his King Cobra and my Bravo 1 were easily cruising 75+..:) then..."Houston we have a problem" Buizzy remember the "direct connect" call???...:(

The only "limit's" are in your checkbook....:wink:

Carl C
08-28-2009, 09:22 PM
My Bravo 1 lasted 7 hours behind 525 hp:boggled:

mattyboy
08-28-2009, 09:32 PM
all that and a bag of chips

plus the teal monster rides well with it's added weight oh wait that should make it slower :bonk:

VetteLT193
08-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Hmm, how many seasons did Doc's go before it need a clutch, vs how many hours did say, 'trips go before it need an overhaul??
Which BTW, IF my memory serves me right, 'trip started with a new XR on his 500, Doc just yanked out the 454 and dropped in the HP on a Cobra drive with "prior experience" ...

Driver.......... period.

Eddie had 1000+ hours on an Alpha 1 behind a big block. Changed it still running fine, for the Bravo, while doing his resto 10-ish years ago.

I think 800 hours on that now. mildly beefed 500 HP, blue, under the hatch for a while (100 of the 800 I think)... non blue before that, 425-450 HP for most of it.

And... no drive shower. All salt. And he's not a wimp, just knows how to run and maintain a boat.

Air 22
08-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Driver.......... period.
Eddie had 1000+ hours on an Alpha 1 behind a big block. Changed it still running fine, for the Bravo, while doing his resto 10-ish years ago.
I think 800 hours on that now. mildly beefed 500 HP, blue, under the hatch for a while (100 of the 800 I think)... non blue before that, 425-450 HP for most of it.
And... no drive shower. All salt. And he's not a wimp, just knows how to run and maintain a boat.

Driver...Period?....ummmmm... this is gonna be fun:popcorn:...I can hear rounds being chambered as we speak...:nilly:

Cuda
08-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Perception is reality. Everyone percieves the Bravo as being better.
It depends on whether you buy a boat looking at resale, or if you buy it looking to run it. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to buy a well maintained OMC. Keep fresh oil in them, don't drive like a kook, and it should last longer than you do. I heard the same thing about parts for the TRS I had. I've yet to hear of someone throwing away a TRS because they couldn't get parts.

The Hedgehog
08-29-2009, 09:38 AM
They don't need a shorty. And having driven the good Dr's boat a time or two, I can tell you 70 isn't even close to their limit..

No, but I think that 70 is a prudent limit for not having external steering. I am sure that you could take it to 100 if you wanted but it would not be a good idea.

No boat "needs" a shorty. I just threw it in as an option.

My point was not that it was a bad drive. I don't think it is. My point was that when it comes to upgrades there are limits.

I would actually love to see someone put on that nice steering system that Dan showed me at AOTH and take a classic to 85 or 90 with a KC. That would be different and cool.

The Hedgehog
08-29-2009, 10:47 AM
I had the cylinders to go with the bracket Danny has in my truck @ AOTH, but... :nilly:

I saw the bracket. Nice looking piece. I think that it is very cool that you were able to pull that off.

Air 22
08-29-2009, 10:51 AM
I had the cylinders to go with the bracket Danny has in my truck @ AOTH, but... :nilly:

For some..AOTH was a tad expensive this year...:nilly: That being said...I have a feeling a shopping list is being written....:angel:

Cuda
08-29-2009, 12:08 PM
The man who did my drive work in St Pete (Bryde's Marine) told me he and his son put 3000 hours on a 454/Alpha with a heavy Pursuit fish boat. I think keeping fresh drive oil in it instead of salt water was the key.