PDA

View Full Version : Alpha 1 Outdrive H2O pump

DamnDonzi22
08-27-2009, 08:18 PM
I removed the circulating pump and installed a crossover system on a bigblock Merc. Also installed a sea water pump with an individual H2O pickup for more volume. What should I do with the H2O pump in the outdrive?

gcarter
08-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Just remove the impellor from the housing.
It's been done many times before...
Also, remove the hose from the bellhousing to the gimbal housing and make a block off plate for the inside of the gimbal housing where the cooling hose emerges.

DamnDonzi22
08-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Does the H2O pump in the drive help cool the upper gear case?

mrfixxall
08-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Does the H2O pump in the drive help cool the upper gear case?

what george said and plug the transm hose and use the existing hose between the gimbal and drive and attach it to a drive shower..

gcarter
08-27-2009, 09:06 PM
You will have water circulation through the drive from your forward motion. No sense in driving the pump and all that friction......
Remember there is no restriction to the water exiting the drive since there's no hose.......

MOP
08-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Just got done doing the same thing to Micheal's boat darn Alpha pump just would not handle a full F/W system, now has a crank pump and a through hull pickup (fishing boat)!!!

Pismo
08-28-2009, 07:03 PM
I agree, use the natural flow that occurs without the impeller to make a drive shower.

BigGrizzly
08-29-2009, 10:19 AM
For me and an alpha, I would turn it into a drive shower.

DamnDonzi22
08-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Ran the boat for 3 hours today on Sebago. Checking the top of drive occasionally for heat. It was hot. So to cool it down I would back down and idle for a bit to cool down the upper. How would I go about rigging a shower using the drive impeller and the old transom hose? Or am I better off to just pony up and buy a bolt on shower for the Alpha?

Pismo
08-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Ran the boat for 3 hours today on Sebago. Checking the top of drive occasionally for heat. It was hot. So to cool it down I would back down and idle for a bit to cool down the upper. How would I go about rigging a shower using the drive impeller and the old transom hose? Or am I better off to just pony up and buy a bolt on shower for the Alpha?

It will move enough water for a drive shower without the impeller so take it out and never worry about it again.

gcarter
08-30-2009, 07:48 PM
The off the shelf version is available on eBay for $100 or less.

BTW, it's probably always been hot.

Pismo
08-31-2009, 06:34 AM
If merc would connect the upper and lower by more than a pinhole then nobody would need drive coolers.