PDA

View Full Version : Website improvements for 2003....

harbormaster
12-19-2002, 08:48 PM
OK folks. Here's your chance.
What improvements/features would you like to see added to the website this year?

Post it here.

Rootsy
12-19-2002, 08:56 PM
like you mentioned, the ability to update our boat pages ourselves... but i think you are working on that correct?

i do not know a whole lot about the chat part... but maybe ability to have avatars? and not lose our names if someone somewhere else is using it... maybe force us to logon under username as at the OTHER site?

i donno just tossin out suggestions cause i am fully satisfied with our playground as it is righ now!!!!!

Jamie

HyperDonzi
12-19-2002, 08:59 PM
The only thing I would like to see added is a "quote button" other than that, GREAT SITE!!

Gearhead99
12-19-2002, 09:04 PM
Samme as Pododal.

harbormaster
12-19-2002, 09:43 PM
Hey Hyper...

Quote button?

riverrat
12-20-2002, 06:32 AM
spell ck would be cool.. maybe a video section that works?
the rat :D :D

boxy
12-20-2002, 08:19 AM
The quote button allows you to respond to a post in thread, and show it as a quote in your post, it's helpful if the thread is fairly long and you want to reference something posted at the beginning... it appears at the bottom of each post, so if I wanted to quote your original post I'd just hit the quote button, and a reply box would open up, with the quote already highlighted.

The only other thing I would like to see is all of the Standard measurements converted to Metric... :D :D

Just kidding

Harbor, if absolutely nothing changes, it will still be a fantastic place to hang out.
Merry Christmas everbody..

Ranman
12-20-2002, 08:27 AM
I agree that the site is impressive as is, but since you're asking, how about a way to see all of the pictures that have been uploaded to the site. I hate it when I can remember a pic that was posted but can't find it. I spend a lot of time searching for old posted pics buried in threads. Also, the ability to add, delete, modify the pics I upload would be nice.

Can we update our own registry entries yet? I know you mentioned it in the past, but that would be another one.

Great work though Scot.

LKSD
12-20-2002, 08:58 AM
i like ranmans idea. other than that i think the site is great............kudos ........jamie

ToonaFish
12-20-2002, 10:41 AM
Man, I thought I'd had too much egg nog last night when I saw the new look... thanks Poodle for clearing that up!

Scot With One T For Texas: The board is perfect and we leave any changes to your impeccable taste and discernment!

Bunches,

Celene 'brown nose matches the brown gunk leaking from her ceiling'

Crazy Horse
12-20-2002, 10:47 AM
Nice job with the new look Scot.

I suggest a page designated to head shots (photos) of all members. That way when we are chatting or emailing we can put a face to the name. It would be especially helpful to those of us who attend the events.

florida gator
12-20-2002, 10:47 AM
Access to Donzi Girls.

Mine is 7 mos preg right now. I don't think you want me to post pics of her right now.

Ed Donnelly
12-20-2002, 10:59 AM
Great idea Crazy Horse,then I could see how many other balding old farts are on the registry like me....Ed

abelchinewalker
12-20-2002, 11:10 AM
Scot,

I love the new look, I would like to see 'spell check' as poodle suggested and the 'name with the face' thing like Crazy Horse suggested.

Florida you should post your wife, there is nothing more beautiful than a preg. woman.

Donnie

Steven Cohn
12-20-2002, 12:35 PM
HarborMaster, This place is going from best to GREATEST! The new edit tool ROCKS! I agree, a spell checker would be nice.

McGary911
12-20-2002, 12:40 PM
Cool holiday look.......nice surprise this morning.

Crazy Horses head shot idea is a great one.

Something that wouldn't be terrible would be a little indicator next to a post indicating that it has photo(s) attached. That will let us dial up guys know when a thread will take a while to open or not.

Thats nitpicking though. This board is great.

Budmann
12-20-2002, 01:05 PM
Perhaps an easier way to post pictures. A copy, paste would be great! I'm not that computer savy so any little task turns into a major event. If I'm the only one that has a problem than disregard this post. I otherwise think you have a wonderful site and comend you on your efforts.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-20-2002, 01:47 PM
Hi Scot.
1. The ability to "subscribe" to a thread, ie get an email when a post reply is added to a thread.
2. Number viewd colum.

Happy Holiday Scot, from the middle of nowhere in Ohio.
Bryan

harbormaster
12-20-2002, 06:14 PM
1. Spell checker will be in the future when the software folks decide to reinstate it.

2. Hyper, the quote button is now functional.
Merry Christmas....

3. Member Photos would be good. This has already existed in the profile but everyone neglects to post a photo. Heck, I wish that alot of you would post your real location.
Everyone needs to post a photo in your profile with your real name and handle. I will harvest the photos and build a nice page with the names and photos.

4. I am working on a authentication code so everyone has access to edit their own registry page. I will be done hpefully by Feb. By the way if you have not entered your boat in the registry, get off your duff and do it today.

5. Photo posting. I have written procedures on this till I am blue in the face. Someone else needs to try to write it. I give up.

6. The edit tool has always been here. I just changed the look of it.

7. The thumbnail page of all the photos posted is a grat idea. I will get right on that one!

8. River Rodent, the Video link at the top and bottom of the page is now fixed. I know there are other things that do not work. Let me know by email of other broken links etc.

9. The rating system is back. If your rating is not high enough I don't want to hear about it. If it is that important to you then I suggest you buddy up with someone who can rate you higher. :D

10. I receive at least 2 emails a week asking how to get access to the donzi girls. I am sorry but if you cannot read then you cannot have access. It is in plain text underneath the words "DONZI Girls". :D

I was also told by someone the other day that they could not send a photo for Donzi Girl access because they had no scanner or digital camera. Here is what you do.....

1. Just go buy a disposable camera.
2. Take a photo of a girl on or near a Donzi.
3. Take it to get developed.
4. Tell the developer you want a photo CD.
5. They will develop the film onto a CD.
6. Then mail the CD to me.

If this is too difficult then you willnot get access to the Donzi Girl section because you really truly do not want access bad enough. Alot of guys work harder than that pleading with their wives and girl friends for permission to take their photos and post them.
:D

abelchinewalker
12-20-2002, 06:52 PM
Well put Scot, if you ever run for president I will vote for you.

Donnie

doug hess
12-20-2002, 07:25 PM
You have the best screens of any of the boards showing the most data with minimum scrolling or lateral adjustment.

Because of commercials ads on one of the off shore boards every screen has to be shifted to the left to see all of the text at one time. This has to be done again and again as you go to different pages. Advertisers come first and users second. I make it a point to never buy from that outfit.

On another fix it board the masthead data fills up every screen. To see the item text you have to scroll up. Again every new page is the same process.

I think the Donzi Registry is great.

Air 22
12-20-2002, 07:42 PM
:D Scott...the site is great. Anything added is bonus1 Merry Christmas smileybo

Donzi Blackhawk
12-20-2002, 08:01 PM
Scot,

What do you think about a section devoted to screen savers? There are alot of photos of our boats on this site, but would it be possible to show them as a slide show?

As far as posting photos what seems to be the greatest hang up for people? I might be able to help, I find posting photos very simple.

Merry Christmas, Bryant & Kathleen

Brad Lyon
12-20-2002, 08:47 PM
Scot,

You have me spoiled! I never really appreciated how easy it is to read, post pictures and reply to posts on Donzi.net until I started visiting the following site:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1021&page=1

I love reading all of the information at the above site but it is the biggest pain in the A$$ to use.

There have been some very good suggestions but if it stays the same as it is right now you will still have the best site out there! A couple of suggestions for some of the requests:

I always type my posts in MS Word then copy and paste. It not only automatically checks spelling it also checks grammar at the same time. I can’t spell for crap and my grammar isn’t much better.

John (Crazy Horse), you really don’t want to see my ugly mug on the Donzi site, I will go along with posting all of the ladies pictures though…..

Brad

PS. This site has some neat graemlins: http://pub103.ezboard.com/fthedigitaldinguscommunityfrm50

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-20-2002, 10:54 PM
HARBORMASTER, after just enjoying a great long chat with you and others in the CHAT ROOM how about a little area that shows WHO is in the chat room in real time, the who is on the board thing is actually a waste since most turn that feature off in profiles and are listed as GUESTS.

Thanks
HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Bryan

harbormaster
12-20-2002, 11:28 PM
Good Idea Bryan. I will look into it.

Greg K
12-21-2002, 12:34 AM
I would like to see an page on the site for a calendar of Donzi events listed by month with links to info. Thanks.

harbormaster
12-21-2002, 12:52 AM
OK Greg That sounds easy enough. I will add that to the list. should everyone be allowed to update it?

Shanghied Again
12-21-2002, 08:23 AM
Scot a calender would be great! Then we can see were all the events are, The site looks fantastic going back to 1996 and lookingat the changes, you bought the site a loooong way! Thats why you are the Harbormaster.
:D

boldts
12-21-2002, 09:10 AM
Scot,

As you know, this site as been a Godsend to a Midwestern Donzi owner who never even saw another Donzi until 2 years ago. I've learned more about Donzi and it's owners than I had seen or read about in 16 years of owning my 18 Classic. Didn't even know there was a 16, 22, Criterion, Hornet, and all the ZX models that are out there and many live closer to me than I imagined.

I too am a terrible speller and use Brad's technique. Calendar would be great and you are welcome to use the one I have on the Midwest Donzi Club site. I use these boards in most cases to get the dates and information anyway.

By the way, if it weren't for this website and it's members, there would be NO Midwest Donzi Club or a gathering of Donzi boats that has become one of the largest gatherings of all makes of Donzi boats in the country. The friends I have made over the past 2 years has been phenomenal! Heck, I can even tell people I know people at American Marine Holdings (Donzi) now.

The Christmas look of the site looks fantastic and something that most of us probably think is just a simple change of colors. As a website developer in my spare time, you don't find those nice Christmas Tree buttons anywhere free and they don't come with what you want written on them either. That is all time spent by the person running the website. HARBORMASTER

Thank-you so much for everything you do for us! The Midwest Donzi Club will continue to support you in anyway we can. If you would like some help organizing the member listings or creating a calendar and the research needed to keep it up to date, let me know. I'd like to help if I can. Only problem, Beth isn't always as understanding as Kim must be! LOL

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone from the Midwest Donzi Club.

anotherScott
12-21-2002, 09:48 AM
Scot, Anything you do will be an added bonus. I remember when the site started, you had to wait a few days to get a handful of posts to read. Now, if you miss several days it takes forever to catch up! Keep up the good work.
One thing you might want to add, is another "t" to your name:)
Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year.
Scott (anotherScott)

Greg K
12-21-2002, 10:54 AM
Scot,

I'm not sure if everyone should be allowed to update it..how much time would it take for you to update it after an event is submitted to you with events limited to the clubs or sponsored events. Informal gatherings could be on there too...though these would have to be decided if they merit to prevent the following.."Lake Norman every other weekend with the Dork" do not fill up the calendars.

Thanks HM

Darrell
12-21-2002, 11:44 AM
Scot

Love the new look! A speel chekkeer would be great.

Darrell

HyperDonzi
12-21-2002, 11:54 AM
Harbormaster:
Hey Hyper...

Quote button?Just like this :D
Thanks HM.

Marlin275
12-21-2002, 01:13 PM
It used to be when you read a post the color of the type would change, that doesn't seem to work now?

Dr. Dan
12-22-2002, 09:06 PM
:cool: Hey Scott....I agree with Frank and Greg....we have discussed this before ...but it never got legs....an Event Calender at a Glance would be very useful! I would like to see the following Events or groups functions listed; MidWest,NorthEast,Lake Winni,SeaDogs,Atlantic Coast, but smaller weekend gatherings as Greg mentions could be handled as they are now on the Events Heading:

Awakening of the Horses (end of May)
Lake George Spring DustOff
1000 Isles (Weekend of July 11th)
Lake Winnie Poker Run (late July)
Thunder On The Bay (2nd Weekend Aug)
Eufaula (Labor Day)
Possum Kingdom
Donzi Owners Hometown Rally (October)

Dates would have to be solidified, but for example, these are the current "Key" gatherings that are now scheduled for 2003. As Events are added, we would have to make some sort of criteria to have it qualify to actually be "Posted To The Calender" ...otherwise it would be a hoge poge of you know what....I think if any Club is sponsoring an Event it would warrant a spot on the schedule if "it was likely to have " say 12 or more of us gathered or participate! Or whatever number of boats. The benefits for vacation planning would be obvious....and it would likely work to help increase attendence at these Events! If the Owners Rally this past year was put on a calender say at least 3 months prior to its occurrence, I know that we would have had conservatively a dozen or more families/boats participate.....so this would be a great tool for us all!.....Sorry for the Rambling Guys :rolleyes: ...Doc