PDA

View Full Version : Late night fire in the cruiser

The Hedgehog
08-27-2009, 06:22 PM
So I am sleeping in the cruiser at 5:00 am and hear the A/C shut off. I sat up and peered into the main salon. I could see a glow from the area right next to the panel. I jumped up and grabbed a fire extinguisher. I ran over to see a nice electrical fire brewing up under my dash. I quickly put out the flames and grabbed my headlamp to survey the situation. Bad Business. I shut down all shore power and disconnected the lines. When the sun came up I got to do a full damage inspection. It appears that one of the terminal connection crimps worked loose causing it to heat up. Well after redoing all connections and replacing all possibly impacted wiring I am back in business.

This is some kind of scary stuff. Anyone else seen something like this?

MOP
08-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Some glad it turned out OK!!!! Could have been a nasty situation, happy for you!!!!!!!

Phil

Ghost
08-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Glad you're okay--nice reaction. Scary prospect.

penbroke
08-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Good reaction indeed! Fire on a boat can get real ugly in a hurry. Glad it turned out ok in the end.

Checking all the connections every couple years or so like Scott said is a really good idea.

Frank

zelatore
08-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Just be glad you were there to catch it!

I've had a couple small incidents along those lines happen over the years, but nothing too bad. One with fire, the other with water. Both times I was on board and was able to deal with it quickly before any real damage was done, but either could have done in the boat if left unattended.

The Hedgehog
08-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks guys.

Poodle: You can bet that I will be checking those connections on an annual basis at least from now on. Before this I would not have even thought of it.

I am still a little freaked out. I doubt that it would have happened while I was not on the boat but the thought of leaving for dinner with my dogs on the boat and A/C on will haunt me for a while.

Morgan's Cloud
08-28-2009, 06:55 AM
That you were there to catch it ! !:nilly:

About three years ago a friend brought in a 2nd hand Mainship .After all import taxes paid , offloaded it from the docks / overboard and steamed it to a friend's dock. Later that evening his son bugged him continuously to go and see it .. 'Pop' finally yieled and they got in the car to go see it .
Moments after they got on board , pop was up in the F/bridge and the engine started to crank... He yells out to son to stop playing with the ignition but son says that he's not touching anything. After a few panicked moments smoke is found in the engine room and under the galley sink cupboard. Bright red wiring melting all over the place.
A fault caused by the original owner using inappropriate wires and they were , like you , lucky enought to be on the boat when the fault went 'live'.

Can you imagine loosing your 'new' boat on the same day you take delivery of it ? ?

HOWARD O
08-28-2009, 07:42 AM
I am still a little freaked out. I doubt that it would have happened while I was not on the boat but the thought of leaving for dinner with my dogs on the boat and A/C on will haunt me for a while.

Wow, that's VERY scary. Glad it turned out okay and gave you a serious head's up to check everything. Yikes......

gcarter
08-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Good save!
I had a main 30 A receptacle get hot once while on board in a marina in Ft. Myers. It was just a matter of unplugging and pulling out the receptacle to retighten the connections. Makes you think though.

The Hedgehog
08-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Good save!
I had a main 30 A receptacle get hot once while on board in a marina in Ft. Myers. It was just a matter of unplugging and pulling out the receptacle to retighten the connections. Makes you think though.

It does. From what I have learned most of those types of problems are commonly associated with people letting the cord dangle from the outlet as the boat rocks around and so on.

I just hope that everyone who reads this will check their connections on a regular basis. Especially everything on the unprotected side of things.