PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella holder (NOT a bimini!)

Tony
08-27-2009, 05:35 PM
I know this mod might pale in relative comparison to all the cool engine stuff some are doing, but I am happy with how it turned out. Plus, modifications are all relative, right?

My umbrella erection system (NOT a bimini!) allows us to pop up a standard 8' beach umbrella with its 1" pole while we are at anchor. Umbrella stows in the bow, and holder fits neatly in the front of the in-floor locker. Some of you remember my last holder system, but I was never happy with it.

This time I used a stainless rod holder ($2.50 @ a resale shop), then glued 1" foam pipe insulation ($.97) to the umbrella pole. At first the fit was too snug, so I relieved some material with my table saw. Now it slips in and out of the rod holder perfectly, and has a cushion capability to withstand rolling water at the sandbar. Voila, 'eh?

So...does this post qualify for the least expensive mod ever?
Didn't we have a post about that once?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31090&d=1187147618

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31093&d=1187147649
:beer:

joseph m. hahnl
08-27-2009, 05:39 PM
I know this mod might pale in relative comparison to all the cool engine stuff some are doing, but I am happy with how it turned out. Plus, modifications are all relative, right?

My umbrella erection system (NOT a bimini!) allows us to pop up a standard 8' beach umbrella with its 1" pole while we are at anchor. Umbrella stows in the bow, and holder fits neatly in the front of the in-floor locker. Some of you remember my last holder system, but I was never happy with it.

This time I used a stainless rod holder ($2.50 @ a resale shop), then glued 1" foam pipe insulation ($.97) to the umbrella pole. At first the fit was too snug, so I relieved some material with my table saw. Now it slips in and out of the rod holder perfectly, and has a cushion capability to withstand rolling water at the sandbar. Voila, 'eh?

Didn't we have a post about that once?

do you have to remove the floor locker cover and leave it off to use it?

Tony
08-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Yes, I take it off, turn it 90 degrees, and then place it mostly over the locker compartment.
It is lipped up a couple inches, but still serves as the floor, kind of.

BigGrizzly
08-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Nice clean job, I am impressed.

joseph m. hahnl
08-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Yes, I take it off, turn it 90 degrees, and then place it mostly over the locker compartment.
It is lipped up a couple inches, but still serves as the floor, kind of.

Cool: I got to ask, where did you find the umbrella with the red and white?

Ghost
08-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Cool. Is the UES (umbrella erection system) base mounted in the floor locker? (From the brackets in the pics I assumed it's screwed or bolted into one of the locker walls.)

Time to cut a nice piece of marine plywood (or build a nice teak grate) or something as a second locker cover, with a hole for the umbrella. Maybe even a 2-piece or hinged 2-piece if you wanna get fancy, and you can still get in the locker without pulling the whole thing out. Dress it up with a router and stain and oil/varnish--it'll be pretty swanky.

Of course this would bust your low-budget award... :)

(However I would recommend against mounting a bracket to hang the factory locker cover from the umbrella pole as a shelf. Though it would serve double-duty as the old favorite appetizer-tray/bait-cutting-board.)

thescooter
08-28-2009, 03:59 PM
i like it i was thing on doing something like that on my boat. now i have some good ideas.can you post apicwith it in the holder on the boat.
thescooter

Tony
08-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Randy.

Joe, I got real lucky at a Meijers one day and found a red & white one.
It is not a very common color in a beach umbrella.

A second locker cover is a great idea, as is making it out of teak.
I work better with wood than I do with fiberglass...

When I get back up north I will post some more pictures...

gold-n-rod
08-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Great pic, Tony. I remember that day like it was yesterday. What a great event...... except that Mr. Big had to complain that we did too much mooring and not enough running. And that he "wouldn't come back" as a result.

Fcuk him. It was a great event. Too bad his bad attitude caused the end of the Torch Lake event.

Excellent pic, Tony. A great picture of Donzi folks having a ton of fun. Thanks for posting it!!!!!

yeller
08-30-2009, 12:03 PM
This time I used a stainless rod holder ($2.50 @ a resale shop), then glued 1" foam pipe insulation ($.97) to the umbrella pole...
Didn't we have a post about that once?Tony, I've been thinking about doing that mod ever since I saw your original post.

......and no, it doesn't qualify you for least expensive mod ever. The least expensive mods are free.
Now if you could do a mod that gave you money back.......:wink: