PDA

View Full Version : GT21 modern resto news

axelkloehn
08-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Here are some pix from the latest resto status:

1. the fairing I have built, 2. classic no-windshield optic, 3. moved back edge to cockpit and new style gauges arrangement, 4. fresh transom- still no cutout- afraid of cutting with no jig but can't get any, will have to do it without :garfield: ,
and more pix: GT21 standard windscreen position compared to moved back windscreen...

...of course a lot of putty on it, but paintjob will be done with carpaint- there was already too much strange stuff on the hull, has to be covered with primer and filler. Underwater body will be cleaned from antifouling and will be done with gelshield and gelcoat.

I love the job George Carter is doing at his 22, mine was already in a too bad and mixed up condition to do a clean gelcoat job... unfortunately :frown:

...but I hope it ends up being a cool ride...

Cheers, Axel:germany:

The Hedgehog
08-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Cool project Axel. Thanks for the update:germany::beer:

gcarter
08-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Actually, I think if you were to build a drill guide @ 11* (I think, someone can correct me) it wouldn't be too hard to at least drill the holes.

axelkloehn
08-28-2009, 03:08 AM
Actually, I think if you were to build a drill guide @ 11* (I think, someone can correct me) it wouldn't be too hard to at least drill the holes.

Yep, I built a guide out of plywood which fits my Bravo Transom perfectly, and I measured the transom angle with 10°, which means the X should be somewhere around 14". It's just I want to take my time doing it, not in a hurry :wink:.
The holes in the inner bravo-transom are not very exact, I used it as a guide, but don't feel very comfortable with it. If anyone has a better guide (printout I can stick on) or a pic of a technical drawing with exact measures that would help a lot...

Cheers, Axel :germany:

HOWARD O
08-28-2009, 06:05 AM
Nice work! Appreciate you taking the time to share with us too! :yes:

Howard

Morgan's Cloud
08-28-2009, 06:33 AM
You must be up all hours of the night working on that , you're making rapid progress !

Glad to see that old 'cabin door' in the dash has gone .....

What was the outcome with the original fuel tank situation ?

Steve

axelkloehn
08-28-2009, 01:50 PM
You must be up all hours of the night working on that , you're making rapid progress !

Glad to see that old 'cabin door' in the dash has gone .....

What was the outcome with the original fuel tank situation ?

Steve

Fuel tank? Well, I actually cut a hole on top of the tank and had a look inside. I cleaned it from bizarre things and it looked pretty much ok afterwards... I know that the problem is located under the bottom, but I put my hopes high that it is ok there... than I closed the hole again and that's about it... if it turns out to be a problem later it will be replaced with a fiberglass tank.
Cutting holes is something you shouldn't do to a donzi, I know, but it was too late lifting the deck. Anyway, the hole is just 10"x10" and it looks like a service hatch...

By the way, I did the transom cutout today. It turned out to be ok, it's just that the two bottom holes don't match perfectly, but I think I can manage that with a bit of oversize drilling...

gcarter
08-28-2009, 05:38 PM
You probably should be thinking about a polyethyline tank rather than glas....maybe that's what you were intending.
Glass and gasoline don't always get along.

Just Say N20
08-28-2009, 06:00 PM
You bring up an interesting point.

Gasoline and fiberglass designed fuel tanks get along fine.

Gasohol and fiberglass designed fuel tanks don't get along fine.

Axelhloehn, do you have alcohol in your gasoline over there? The complete morons in our government decided it would be a good idea to take something that is used for food, divert it from being used for food so they can run it through a process that uses as much energy to produce a gallon of alcohol as it contains, so they can mix it with our gasoline at a 10% rate.

This wonderful idea has caused the price of food to go up, caused fuel economy to go down because gasohol has less energy per gallon (or Liter) than straight gasoline, and wreaked havoc with boat fuel systems and engines because of alcohol's ability to attract water, and its highly solvent nature that destroys older gaskets, fuel lines and rubber parts as well as loosening up anything that had been inside the fuel tank/lines and sending it to the engine.

That's IF the tanks aren't fiberglass. If they are fiberglass, and more than about 8 years old, they will start to dissolve because of the alcohol (resins used with the fiberglass weren't designed to encounter alcohol), which usually means replacing then, with all the fun that entails with your relatively new, expensive boat.

It's a fantastic idea :bonk:. Do you have to deal with this fun too?

axelkloehn
08-29-2009, 03:25 AM
Axelhloehn, do you have alcohol in your gasoline over there? ...

...oh, we have 5% Ethanol in our gas which is based on Alcohol, I'd better not use a fiberglass fuel tank.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Cheers, Axel:alky:

Jamesbon
08-29-2009, 07:10 PM
I like what you did with mounting the windscreen further back than stock. Had I thought of this I would have done the same.

After having a 22 C, my bow on the GT seems so short with the windshield mounted in the factory position. Your method makes her look better balanced... :) Nice work...

axelkloehn
08-30-2009, 02:51 AM
I like what you did with mounting the windscreen further back than stock. Had I thought of this I would have done the same.

After having a 22 C, my bow on the GT seems so short with the windshield mounted in the factory position. Your method makes her look better balanced... :) Nice work...

Exactly!

It looks better balanced, but it still has the traditional Donzi look, and keeps every option: fairing most forward, fairing more aft or riding without it -> the classic Donzi no-screen-look, which was with the stock GT21 almost impossible.

Thank you for your comment, it proves I did the right thing...

Sweet Cheekz
08-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Looks great Axel

Parnell

axelkloehn
10-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Here is an current update of my GT21 resto, after hours of sanding, spraying filler, applying lots of putty, sanding again, filler and more filler....

By the way- my latest best friends are my sander (I killed two of them by now), my hoover and my spray-gun... and my wife gets a bit grumpy now cause im constantly looking like a ghost... :eek::eek::eek:

axelkloehn
10-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Just remember how it was before... and right now I kind of like it in blue-ish.............................................

MOP
10-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Axel get your self a big window fan let it blow across the work blowing the dust away from you, I use one of those square 20 inch ones works great.

gcarter
10-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Axel, if I may make a suggestion.....find someone there in Europe that makes hull dollies.
If you do, you'll find that they're way up on the list of best friends.
Maybe something like this;
http://www.williamsengineering.net/7m.html
You'll find the new found flexibility is worth far more than the purchase price when you can lose the trailer, have the hull close to the floor, and have the freedom to move it anywhere you want it.

The Hedgehog
10-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Looks like someone has been busy. Cool project Axel:yes:

axelkloehn
10-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Axel get your self a big window fan let it blow across the work blowing the dust away from you, I use one of those square 20 inch ones works great.

Good idea, you know usually I am working outside and our october-storms are strong enough... :wink::wink::wink:... I got the hangar just for the weekend because weather really sucks right now, but gotta move the hull outside again tomorrow :garfield:

If it would be my hangar I really would get myself hull-dollies, that's for sure, George... they would stop my trailer from needing a new paintjob after I finished my hull...

Bamboo Loui
10-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Axel---I really like your graphics and colour plan-- we have a visitor that comes to our lake-- I wish I had a picture-- graphics are similar but not as nice as yours. colour will be great!

axelkloehn
10-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Axel---I really like your graphics and colour plan-- we have a visitor that comes to our lake-- I wish I had a picture-- graphics are similar but not as nice as yours. colour will be great!

Thanks, will make some color tests on the engine hatch soon... can't wait to see how it turns out :)

Sweet Cheekz
10-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Axel
You continue to haul azz on this thing You are doing a nice job and keep up the updates
Parnell

axelkloehn
10-08-2009, 01:30 PM
latest update- this is how you can spent your holidays... sanding....spraying...sanding....spraying...s....s ....s....s....s...

And now comes the main question: white/red, white/blue or red/black, what color-combination? I really don't know yet... will make some tests on the engine hatch soon but I think white will be the basic color for hull and deck...

axelkloehn
10-08-2009, 04:06 PM
...like this??

axelkloehn
10-09-2009, 03:08 PM
...hmmmh, projected it on the surface- seems to be a bit pale or what do you guys think? What about the red one?? A bit wild isn't it? Well, will make some more proposals and take my time before spraying...

fogducker III
10-09-2009, 03:22 PM
The red with black lettering? :yes:

Looking really good, weather looks like it is co-operating with you....:wink:

Greg Guimond
10-09-2009, 03:43 PM
What about a Yellow, white, pearl black combo?

axelkloehn
10-09-2009, 04:15 PM
oh, yeah, colors... The worries I have with dark colors is the hull is over 40 years old and had a lot of impacts and many layers of paint on it- it's not as even as a 5 years old boat- you will see when you paint it too dark, white would be the safest, for sure...

axelkloehn
10-09-2009, 04:38 PM
I still like the blue, but then again I'm prejudiced.. What would it look like with the "GT21" logo shifted forward to just aft of what looks like a popup cleat midships next to the fairing on the side, (not the visible one forward of the fairing) drop the background lower in the stern and stretch it further forward on the hull??

:):):) good idea, thanks for your help :):):)

...what you see there is no pop-up cleat, it's the tank filler because I mirrored the foto to put my graphics on, it would be "iznod 12TG" otherwise :wink:

axelkloehn
10-10-2009, 03:34 AM
I'm liking it man!! Need to get the "Z" correct next..

You're right, it was a good idea stretching the blue background color, I start liking it too.
The Donzi "Z" decal is just a placeholder for an old Donzi marine sticker I am going to spray on, I am still working on a nice overworked classic decal.

axelkloehn
10-11-2009, 10:59 AM
...wouldn't it be nice if I would be so far..? :cool:

Well, it's just a computer-fake done with my vector-data for the airbrush- masks I generated today. The final data for the deck will follow the next days, a preview is attached...

MOP
10-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Sure looks like this will be a special boat, can't wait to see the final results!

CaribouLou
10-12-2009, 01:33 AM
Looks awesome. Feel free to come visit the US and do my boat.

Planetwarmer
10-12-2009, 01:31 PM
What material did you use for the windscreen?

silverghost
10-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Axel: What a fantastic project you have there ! You are doing a super Job !
Cannot wait to see your finished Donzi GT21-X project!
Why did you decide to use the Donzi for your project?
Are there other Donzi boats in Germany ?
Are there many other performance speedboats in Germany?
How about Fountain, Cigarette, Formula, etc?
Are there many other American power boats & Speedboats in your boating area in Germany ?
Where do you plan on using your Donzi ?
How about German boat builders?
Are there also any German-built marine V6-V8 Gasoline engines ?
I know many fine diesel marine engines are built in Germany!

axelkloehn
10-12-2009, 01:59 PM
What material did you use for the windscreen?

I took 2 sheets of laminated fiberglass (which is normally used for interior design or linings), about 0.2" thick and glued them together with epoxy so it is about 0.4" thick. Around the corners I l laminated them together from inside and outside with mattes of glass fiber, for stiffness on the tops I glued some alloy profiles and finished it with minimum use of putty.

axelkloehn
10-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Axel: What a fantastic project you have there ! You are doing a super Job !
Cannot wait to see your finished Donzi GT21-X project!
Why did you decide to use the Donzi for your project?
Are there other Donzi boats in Germany ?
Are there many other performance speedboats in Germany?
How about Fountain, Cigarette, Formula, etc?
Are there many other American power boats & Speedboats in your boating area in Germany ?
Where do you plan on using your Donzi ?
How about German boat builders?
Are there also any German-built marine V6-V8 Gasoline engines ?
I know many fine diesel marine engines are built in Germany!

Oh sure, this is not third world over here :wink:, a lot of my friends have cigarettes, formulas, fountain, sonic, scarabs, tullio abbate and many sunseeker and searays. Attached are some pix from our P1 summer event, where can see our boats. By the way, I painted most of them or did the color-and grafics design together with a paint-shop who did the basic colors and clearcoat.

German boatbuilders are not known for powerboats, they do more what we call "swimmin toilettes", yachts with exclusive interiors ore sailboats... not what I prefer.

I was screwing around with a glastron 16 and fiberform 17, but a donzi has always been my dream since I saw one at our marina when I was 10 years old (my parents had a "swimmin toilette" too, slow and heavy, 80 hp diesel engine :frown:). The sound of the thing, it was a sweet 16, was just incredible. It was racing with some Coronet daycruisers at the weekends and I couldn't forget it...

Classic Donzis are quiet rare in germany, most are Zs, ZXs and some 22 Classics. To find a classic to restore is almost impossible, so when I saw the GT at ebay located next to my home I pulled the trigger...

High performance turbo-diesels are coming up here, Volkswagen has a V6, a V8 and is strongly working on marinizing the V10...will be a great engine but costs too much....

silverghost
10-12-2009, 03:15 PM
As a young boy in 1969 my family and I visited your fine city & others in Germany.
My Mother's entire family were from Germany !
We took a day-long tour boat ride on the Rhine river at that time & I do not remember seeing any American Power or Speedboats there at that time! It was late Summer .
The river & bay was very busy !
But that was a very long time ago!
I did see other boats at that time with Volvo Outdrives & many inboard boats both wooden & fiberglass!
Knowing that Germany is always on the front cutting-edge of mechanical technology I thought perhapps there were performance powerboat & engine builders there also!
Germany is far from a third world country!
I see from one raceboat photo that the out-drives are very close together with only one large exhaust on each engine right starboard side. This suggests an inline engine of some sort; possibly a diesel ?
What is the engine power in this boat?
Do you have any photos of the engines used in these raceboats?
What is that large black hulled tall sailing ship I see in the upper right background of one of your photos? What is it's history?
Over in the USA we have plenty of older project performance speedboats, and other project boats, just waiting for some ambitious new owners! Many can be bought very cheaply !
Many have been abandoned by their owner and are taking up space in boatyards!
Sadly too many are just cut-up with a chainsaw and crushed or sent to the burn pile!
It's great to see you trying to save these few rare boats in Germany!

axelkloehn
10-12-2009, 03:31 PM
I see from one raceboat photo that the out-drives are very close together with only one large exhaust on each engine right starboard side. This suggests an inline engine of some sort; possibly a diesel ?
What is the engine power in this boat?

You mean the yellow fountain? The racing class is called P1 and they have Mercs, Ilmors and very few Lamborghini engines. This one has got 2x 525 Mercs and the exhausts from the front engine are located at the sides of the hull (see pic). The throttle-man is a friend of mine and parttime lives at Long Beach, CA. He ships cars to germany, mostly Hummers and BMW X5, Mercedes Jeeps cause they are built in the US- they sell well here. He brought the yellow Fountain over but no other boats yet. But he told me that a lot of boats end up in a shredder and that there are junkyards full of interesting hulls. What a shame... :bonk::bonk::bonk:

Some engine-builders tried around with Mercedes and BMW inline 6-V8 engines, but never had great success. Some small german diesels are used in V-drive boats, but no performance engines except Volkswagen. But even Volkswagen Marine is not in the profit zone at the moment...

The old sailship "Passat" is a freighter from the early 1900s. It's sistership "Pamir" became quite famous because it sunk in a hurricane 1957 and 80 of 86 sailors drowned.

Sweet Cheekz
10-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Well done Axel

Is that yellow top gun the old team virgin race boat?
Parnell

axelkloehn
10-13-2009, 01:41 AM
Well done Axel

Is that yellow top gun the old team virgin rave boat?
Parnell

...possible, don't know these 3 cigarette guys too much. They just come down to our place for the racing events. Can ask him next boating season which starts appr. midth of may 2010... :wink:

cheers, Axel :germany:

axelkloehn
11-01-2009, 01:02 PM
...latest update: this weekend I sprayed the GT in an Audi R8 white, almost 3 gallons paint/thinner/hardener in several layers... god I would love to finish that thing immediately but what I have learned with paint you gotta be patient.. There are still some days till next spring ;-)

Morgan's Cloud
11-02-2009, 07:01 AM
Axel , what are you going to do with the hull bottom ?

With all that had to be done , if it was me , I would have flipped the thing and fixed it to my heart's content before doing any paint work .....

Steve

axelkloehn
11-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Axel , what are you going to do with the hull bottom ?

With all that had to be done , if it was me , I would have flipped the thing and fixed it to my heart's content before doing any paint work .....

Steve

Yep, you are right, the hull bottom needs to be done as well. But I prefer mistreating myself, slip over the floor supine with the sander in my hands and have some horrible backache afterwards...:bonk:

Honestly, I got by luck a heated empty hangar for a week, so I decided not to let the boat just being primered outside over winter and put some paint on. It will be fine-sanded all over again and gets some graphics and airbrush next year- before this I will do the bottom with epoxy-primer, layers of gelshield and final coat- different treatment as above water cause that is carpaint.

But thanks for your idea, I very often thought about flipping the boat but it's just the space that's missing for that...so I gotta do it with a car lift.

Planetwarmer
11-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Way to use yer noggin!

CaribouLou
11-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Jeez, looks awesome man. Haven't been on here in awhile.....

If you ever want a vacation to Washington, you're welcome to stay at my place and work on my boat :wink:

axelkloehn
11-27-2009, 05:56 AM
Jeez, looks awesome man. Haven't been on here in awhile.....

If you ever want a vacation to Washington, you're welcome to stay at my place and work on my boat :wink:

You might be disapointed but I would prefer an offer from the nice & warm Keys in Florida... :wink:

Just for completeness, this is how it looked like after I pulled it out of the hangar where it was painted....

MOP
11-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Sure coming along some nice, at this rate you will be wet by spring!

CaribouLou
11-27-2009, 04:57 PM
You might be disapointed but I would prefer an offer from the nice & warm Keys in Florida... :wink:

Just for completeness, this is how it looked like after I pulled it out of the hangar where it was painted....

Hey, its nice here in the summer!

zelatore
11-27-2009, 09:47 PM

The keys are all well and good, but if I had to pick one or the other, I'm going to Washington........best boating I've ever experienced!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.

CaribouLou
11-27-2009, 10:06 PM
The keys are all well and good, but if I had to pick one or the other, I'm going to Washington........best boating I've ever experienced!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.

:yes:

Greg Guimond
11-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Axel,

That is a nice project and is really coming along. Here are two photos that I thought you might like as they are somewhat similiar looks to your boat. How do I get that ability to do paint "mock ups" on my boats with the computer? Certainly makes color selection a lot easier !! Good Luck.

axelkloehn
11-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Axel,

That is a nice project and is really coming along. Here are two photos that I thought you might like as they are somewhat similiar looks to your boat. How do I get that ability to do paint "mock ups" on my boats with the computer? Certainly makes color selection a lot easier !! Good Luck.

Greg,

most people do it with photoshop software. I very often use this software to overwork a picture which I have taken from the boat to get the hull white as a base for a new graphics layout.
In my case I use a vector software to create graphics in real size cause I need the data for my plotter for the masking foils. This software can also make high res pictures from my layout which show the hull with the new graphics.
It is not done in 10 minutes! And it needs some experience too, but it can be done by everyone who has a feeling for colors and graphics.

Sweet Cheekz
11-28-2009, 10:30 AM

Here too but sadly thats 9 months from now
SC

axelkloehn
11-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Here too but sadly thats 9 months from now
SC

yep!

Craig S
11-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Axel,

That yeller boat is awesome.

axelkloehn
04-22-2010, 05:11 AM
It's been a long, long winter but now I am starting to work on my boat again- painted the engine room last weekend.

I really did think a lot over winter time about my paint and graphics, had some proposals last year but now I think they might be a bit wild for such a classic.

Here's some old and new proposals- Wonder what you guys think?

Latest idea is hull in silver with white stripe, deck with blue stripes
or
deck with candy red stripes and silver/dark grey metallic graphics in 3d effect with shadows, hull in bright silver or white with a dark grey stripe? All stripes will have dark grey or black edges.

Cheers Axel

gcarter
04-22-2010, 06:10 AM
You do nice graphics work Axel!
I like the gray.....very subtle.

Sweet Cheekz
04-22-2010, 06:25 AM
All look great but I agree with George. The red is cool too although I would do the bottom stripe red also if I did that one. Can't wait to see it done
Parnell

axelkloehn
04-22-2010, 07:25 AM
You do nice graphics work Axel!
I like the gray.....very subtle.

"Subtle" is a good wording- you nailed it, George.

Parnell/George, thanks for your compliments.

CJmike
04-22-2010, 07:43 AM
I like the first one best. But thats just me...

mrfixxall
04-22-2010, 08:42 AM
It's been a long, long winter but now I am starting to work on my boat again- painted the engine room last weekend.

I really did think a lot over winter time about my paint and graphics, had some proposals last year but now I think they might be a bit wild for such a classic.

Here's some old and new proposals- Wonder what you guys think?

Latest idea is hull in silver with white stripe, deck with blue stripes
or
deck with candy red stripes and silver/dark grey metallic graphics in 3d effect with shadows, hull in bright silver or white with a dark grey stripe? All stripes will have dark grey or black edges.

Cheers Axel

take the first pic and leave the blue and grey but replace the lighter blue with yellow to see how that looks..

axelkloehn
04-22-2010, 09:16 AM
take the first pic and leave the blue and grey but replace the lighter blue with yellow to see how that looks..

MrFixx,

I have almost every color-variation from my first proposal, it's just that I think it's ok for the deck but too wild for the hull... but interesting to hear other opinions...

mrfixxall
04-22-2010, 09:46 AM
MrFixx,

I have almost every color-variation from my first proposal, it's just that I think it's ok for the deck but too wild for the hull... but interesting to hear other opinions...

Brighter yellow and blue :)

Bamboo Loui
04-22-2010, 11:34 AM
I had a bright yellow w/ purple accents Malibu-- looked great
Yellow/silver also looks great-- if I was a red guy I like the red rendition too!
Wife picks the first Blue rendition.

Morgan's Cloud
04-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Subtle = Solid hull colour / white bottom ...Single deck stripe very acceptable / optional .

The silver will appear grey from a short distance and give the impression that the paint job ended with the primer .. But it is indeed subtle .

You can keep all of the fancy graphics ... It 's a classic Donzi , not a late 80's Wellcraft Scarab wannabe ..

There ... my opinion worth exactly what it cost you ..:kingme:

Just Say N20
04-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Do you and Parnell exchange ideas secretly behind the scenes? :wink:

axelkloehn
04-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Do you and Parnell exchange ideas secretly behind the scenes? :wink:

...you bet! :crossfing:

Planetwarmer
04-22-2010, 02:31 PM
MrFixx,

I like these, but I would leave the "Donzi" off of the fore deck. I feel it clutters it up a bit. You already have a Donzi logo on the back. The stripes alone make the deck look longer.

Thats just my opinion, and I probably cant do any better. Either way, you do good work.

axelkloehn
04-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Trying, trying, trying...

...variation for the deck- single white stripe with two thin red ones
or two reds with different splatter

Planetwarmer
04-22-2010, 04:02 PM
I really like the last 2! The red looks good as 2 smaller stripes, because red can overpower if overdone (excluding a solid red). I like white and red, because it stands out on the water.

Planetwarmer
04-22-2010, 04:14 PM
A little FYI, Carroll Shelby's GT 350 stripes were not perfectly straight. They started off a certain width, got wider in the middle, and tapered down to slightly wider than that in which they started. He took the idea from Greek column design, which were not perfectly straight either. This reduces the illusion that the stripes (or columns) get smaller the farther away you are from the end. Unless you had a tape measure on the stripes, you would never notice. However, it sure is easy to tell when someone has repainted a car with "Shelby stripes" and did not change the width.

If you decide to use a stripe or stripes, look up the original dimensions of the stripes on a GT350R model, and incorporate that into your design. I bet your end result will be nicer.

Ed Donnelly
04-22-2010, 04:20 PM
As much as I love red

I think the gray is way classy................Ed

thehow33
04-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Trying, trying, trying...

...variation for the deck- single white stripe with two thin red ones
or two reds with different splatter

I vote number 2 but just a hair more white in between the 2 red lines. And I know others have complimented you, but let me tell you again. You do some really professional graphic designs. You could probably make some good side money creating graphics for a handful of boat designers because some of them are ridiculously ugly.

the 3rd one is kind of hard to see for some reason.

http://www.airbrush.com.au/images/Boat%20Graphics.jpghttp://www.davesmobilegraphics.com/images/graphics/scan0017.jpghttp://ct.iscute.com/i81/7/1/16/f_58e91ab86bc4.pngI don't know how the last one snuck in there

jonzis donzi
04-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Boat? What boat? I still can't see one. HAHAHA

axelkloehn
04-23-2010, 02:11 AM
...If you decide to use a stripe or stripes, look up the original dimensions of the stripes on a GT350R model, and incorporate that into your design. I bet your end result will be nicer.[/quote]

Yep, I agree. When I do my stripes I will take care of that, thanks for the idea. I will tape them by hand anyway, so I always check all perspectives if they look good or not.
For the computer proposal it's easier just to do them straight.

Planetwarmer
04-23-2010, 02:24 PM
...If you decide to use a stripe or stripes, look up the original dimensions of the stripes on a GT350R model, and incorporate that into your design. I bet your end result will be nicer.

Yep, I agree. When I do my stripes I will take car of that, thanks for the idea. I will tape them by hand anyway, so I always check all perspectives if they look good or not.
For the computer proposal it's easier just to do them straight.[/quote]

Hey! Lets not get lazy!:kingme:

axelkloehn
04-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Beautiful weather, worked on my GT today. Unfortunately I forgot my camera, so I just took pictures with my cellphone- pretty bad though, but good enough to give you an impression...

fogducker III
04-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Das good.......:yes::eek::wink:

Sweet Cheekz
04-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Looks great Axel
Parnell

Michi Besler
04-25-2010, 03:53 AM
wunderbar

axelkloehn
04-25-2010, 03:04 PM
...I guess this is my final design for the deck- high potential of a cool paintjob :cool:

Sweet Cheekz
04-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Very cool
Parnell

Planetwarmer
04-25-2010, 11:02 PM
I like it

axelkloehn
04-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Took a day off because I got my seats delivered, couldnot resist and immediately installed them.
Did fine wet sanding with 800 so the hull is now ready for graphics, airbrush and clearcoat.
Design is frozen, see the attached proposal.

Sorry for the quality, forgot my camera again.....

Tomorrow afternoon we will have another ride with Michi Beslers Shelby cause the weather is still beautiful :cool:

Planetwarmer
04-28-2010, 03:00 PM
I like the old Donzi stickers on the side, but have you considered the polished stainless DONZI lettering like your friends Shelby? Or maybe doing a red "shadow" around the original DONZI lettering on the decal that you currently have? That would tie the DONZI logo into the black, white, and red theme while keeping the old school look.

Just a thought.

axelkloehn
04-28-2010, 03:40 PM
I like the old Donzi stickers on the side, but have you considered the polished stainless DONZI lettering like your friends Shelby? Or maybe doing a red "shadow" around the original DONZI lettering on the decal that you currently have? That would tie the DONZI logo into the black, white, and red theme while keeping the old school look.

Just a thought.

Very good, thanks. I guess I will try that. Actually I am not really sure how to do the logo- at the moment it will not be painted, just stickers, so I still have the option to do something later on... polished stainless would also be fine, could also be done afterwards. Man, you're right, gotta think about it!

Sweet Cheekz
04-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Axel
There is so much to think about!!!
It looks great The interior is very nice.
Keep us updated
Parnell

gcarter
04-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Axel, I've never seen that type of graphics done.
Please do us all a favor and take plenty of descriptive pictures of how it's done.
Not that I could do it....my hands are much too shakey.

Planetwarmer
04-28-2010, 08:18 PM
It also might be cool to carry the graphics down the transom as well (stripe included).

axelkloehn
04-29-2010, 02:24 AM
It also might be cool to carry the graphics down the transom as well (stripe included).

yep, that's my intention.

Because I am doing the graphic-paintjob on my own I will take many pix during the process, promised :crossfing:
I have a week off work in may from 13th on, hope I will get it all done in that time.

axelkloehn
05-05-2010, 08:14 AM
More pix...

I covered my boat with my engine hatch left open last weekend- see what happens if the cover is loaded with amounts of water from some heavy rain yesterday. Fortunately no damage on the paint.

And some better shots from my interior, small gauges are just provisional.

Don't know what you guys think, but moving the windscreen/fairing further back was a good idea in my opinion...

Sweet Cheekz
05-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Axel
Looking good I agree the fairing is great It makes the bow look more like a 22 Probably should have done the same thing to mine.

Parnell

axelkloehn
05-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Axel
Looking good I agree the fairing is great It makes the bow look more like a 22 Probably should have done the same thing to mine.

Parnell

Thanks Parnell, yours is nice. Be happy you've saved a lot of time with not moving the screen.

I sometimes wonder if simple graphics would also be fine, but will go for the elaborate design...

VetteLT193
05-05-2010, 01:07 PM
the two blue stripes look awesome.

CaribouLou
05-05-2010, 01:26 PM
x2 on the blue stripes

axelkloehn
05-05-2010, 01:31 PM
x2 on the blue stripes

Do you guys know that I've bought my paint already :nilly:

gcarter
05-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Don't let'em get to you Axel!
Someone here suggested I re-gel the TR a blue color after I finished gelling it red.

Sweet Cheekz
05-05-2010, 02:37 PM
!
Someone here suggested I re-gel the TR a blue color after I finished gelling it red.

Ha! Clearly words spoken by someone who's never gelled a whole boat! :eek:

Parnell

axelkloehn
05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Prepared the vector-data for the plotter to plot the masking film in its original size, will plot the masking next weekend

CaribouLou
05-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Don't let'em get to you Axel!

All blue TR....I would like to see that....sounds awesome...

gcarter
05-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Prepared the vector-data for the plotter to plot the masking film in its original size, will plot the masking next weekend

Axel, how do you generate the very random "brush stroke like" patterns?

axelkloehn
05-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Axel, how do you generate the very random "brush stroke like" patterns?

George, I don't make a secret out of it.
There are different methods of doing this, in my case it was quiet easy. There exists plugins for software like corel draw, illustrator or others, which create brush-like-strokes. It's already vector-based, means there is a high-res outline for the plotter to cut the masking smoothly.
I just combined different types of brush-patterns, scaled, mirrored and "melted" them and with a bit luck they turn out quiet good.
Of course you need a bit feeling for graphics but you have seen I did many variations and I am still not sure I picked the right ones.

It will turn out nicely at the end, that's for sure, but there are so many options/colors... :wink:

Will make pix from the whole process!

gcarter
05-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks Axel.

CHACHI
05-06-2010, 09:08 AM
George, I can hear the gears turning now.

Ken

gcarter
05-06-2010, 01:54 PM
George, I don't make a secret out of it.
There are different methods of doing this, in my case it was quiet easy. There exists plugins for software like corel draw, illustrator or others, which create brush-like-strokes. It's already vector-based, means there is a high-res outline for the plotter to cut the masking smoothly.
I just combined different types of brush-patterns, scaled, mirrored and "melted" them and with a bit luck they turn out quiet good.
Of course you need a bit feeling for graphics but you have seen I did many variations and I am still not sure I picked the right ones.

It will turn out nicely at the end, that's for sure, but there are so many options/colors... :wink:

Will make pix from the whole process!
This plotter you're speaking of.....how big is it and what does it copy onto?
Do you have to cut it out, or does the plotter do it?

axelkloehn
05-06-2010, 02:47 PM
This plotter you're speaking of.....how big is it and what does it copy onto?
Do you have to cut it out, or does the plooter do it?

My plotter is from Summagraphics, instead of a pen there is a blade in it, so it cuts film for various purposes, high tack for lettering or low tack masking film for painting....Quiet helpful in my case.
You need transferfilm to transfer the cutouts/letters/graphics on the object, than you remove the transferfilm and the lettering/graphics remain on the object. Mine cuts film in 24 inch width.
If you wanna buy a plotter like this- they don't cost much and exist in varying widths- make sure it is one with guided tangential movement of the blade, much more precise as a simple one which just tows the blade around corners.

gcarter
05-06-2010, 03:11 PM
That's the detail I want!!!!!
Well done!
Assume we're all idiots and this is the first time we've seen stuff used this way....'cause it is.

axelkloehn
05-06-2010, 03:23 PM
That's the detail I want!!!!!
Well done!
Assume we're all idiots and this is the first time we've seen stuff used this way....'cause it is.

:kingme::kingme::kingme:

Oh come on...you guys have expertise in many different fields, feels good I could help you

Greg Guimond
05-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Axel,

Stick with your theme and don't waiver !!

Looking good :)

axelkloehn
05-07-2010, 04:20 PM
If there is anyone interested in a little painting and airbrush workshop I put a thread under:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61952

axelkloehn
05-08-2010, 12:14 PM
I tested my engine today, started it for a short time without water supply- everything fine, than I connected the waterpipe- guess what happened:

It's terrifying fog coming out of it :shocking::shocking::shocking: (see attached video)

Took both manifolds of, all fine, checked sparkplugs, first two on the right side were wet with water, took the intake manifold of and look what I have found!!!

How can you seal like this!!!!! :nilly::nilly::nilly:

Looks like I should check all gaskets- oil pan, cylinderheads, etc. Maybe this expert sealed everything like this.

Guess I have found the mistake, if one of you guys has another idea please go in...

Conquistador_del_mar
05-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I tested my engine today, started it for a short time without water supply- everything fine, than I connected the waterpipe- guess what happened:

It's terrifying fog coming out of it :shocking::shocking::shocking: (see attached video)

Took both manifolds of, all fine, checked sparkplugs, first two on the right side were wet with water, took the intake manifold of and look what I have found!!!

Looks like I should check all gaskets- oil pan, cylinderheads, etc. Maybe this expert sealed everything like this.

Guess I have found the mistake, if one of you guys has another idea please go in...

OMG - :bonk: He used silicone instead of intake manifold gaskets? Yep, I think you should double check everything if this was done. Sorry to hear this. Bill

MOP
05-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Silicone and aluminum do not like each other, it causes corrosion. Hopefully you will get away with cleaning things up and gasketing it the right way. Very good chance the water came from the manifold, motor does sound quite decent! Good chance some got into the oil which happens almost anytime the intake develops a leak.

axelkloehn
05-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Silicone and aluminum do not like each other, it causes corrosion. Hopefully you will get away with cleaning things up and gasketing it the right way. Very good chance the water came from the manifold, motor does sound quite decent! Good chance some got into the oil which happens almost anytime the intake develops a leak.

yep, there 's loads of water in the oil, if you have a close look at the pix you can see the oil in the center is creamy white- guess that's the reason why there was white smoke coming out of both exhausts at the end. It first started on the right side!

dsparis
05-08-2010, 04:01 PM
pull the pan and check the bearings for galling

farmer tx
05-08-2010, 09:26 PM

Thats a shame! I would have gone POSTAL!:uzi:

mrfixxall
05-09-2010, 02:19 AM
That engine is supposed to have a one piece style gasket which includes a valley pan..when installing a new one make sure its stainless steel,silicone the 4 corners and use high tack on all the intake ports..

if your going to take it apart you may as well change the cam also,if its from a jet boat the ICL is probably *110 which may not idle so good in gear..

Did you drain the block before winter?????

Planetwarmer
05-09-2010, 02:46 AM
At least you hadn't already installed it in the boat when you figured that out.

axelkloehn
05-09-2010, 03:59 AM
That engine is supposed to have a one piece style gasket which includes a valley pan..when installing a new one make sure its stainless steel,silicone the 4 corners and use high tack on all the intake ports..

if your going to take it apart you may as well change the cam also,if its from a jet boat the ICL is probably *110 which may not idle so good in gear..

Did you drain the block before winter?????

Block was drained before winter, there was fresh transparent oil inside. Engine is from a jetboat, will check the cam, thanks.
I guess the guy who fixed it bought a complete gasket set, but did not notice it comes without the steel manifold intake gasket. So he just took the silicone which was included in the set... :bonk:
It looks like he did not use the engine after this fixation, but I will check the rest.

axelkloehn
05-17-2010, 03:27 PM
finished the computer generated masks for my graphic design. tomorrow is my wifes birthday- no work at my GT, but will apply the masks wednesday and start spraying wednesday/thursday- got a week off work, so it's time to finish my paint now :)

Sweet Cheekz
05-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Axel

Looking good. One word of advice. Don't try to put them on in a big wind:boggled:

Parnell

axelkloehn
05-18-2010, 04:46 AM
Axel

Looking good. One word of advice. Don't try to put them on in a big wind:boggled:

Parnell

Parnell, thanks :wink: ...and we have some big winds at the moment, 6ft waves on our river last sunday! Michi took me for a little ride in his shelby!

gcarter
05-18-2010, 06:48 AM
That's impressive Axel.
I learn something every day.

axelkloehn
05-18-2010, 07:18 AM
That's impressive Axel.
I learn something every day.

Thanks George- and there are more days to come this week :wink:

wife just disappeared for some birthday shopping with her friends, so there was time to put the semi-transparent transferfilm on the masks- they are ready now to be transfered on the boat, might do it tomorrow!

axelkloehn
05-20-2010, 03:34 PM
applied all the masking and started painting today- took a bunch of photos, a full coverage of the painting and masking process will be shown soon!

The final color concept:

Planetwarmer
05-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Axel, the laser guy said the files that you sent will work perfectly. the art department was confused at first, because they didn't know how to fit a 23" logo on a 3" center cap.

axelkloehn
05-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Axel, the laser guy said the files that you sent will work perfectly. the art department was confused at first, because they didn't know how to fit a 23" logo on a 3" center cap.

well, let them shrink it down to the size of a worm and then it works :wink:

Glad they will work fine...

axelkloehn
05-21-2010, 01:28 PM
a preview: :cool: more pix to come...

CaribouLou
05-21-2010, 01:30 PM
That looks badass, congrats man! :eek:

cutwater
05-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Wow. Freakin awesome. Pleeeaaase post more pics :)

VetteLT193
05-21-2010, 02:34 PM
awesome. best part is the shadowing on the Donzi logo on the hatch to make it look like it's floating above the rest. Sweeeet.

Bamboo Loui
05-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Axel-- beautiful-- but even more is your graphics and methods-- wish you could have done a video-- step by step-- would be very nice.

axelkloehn
05-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Axel-- beautiful-- but even more is your graphics and methods-- wish you could have done a video-- step by step-- would be very nice.

no video- but a step by step picture show! but first I have to sort the pictures out, downsize them and, and, and... you gonna be surprised, promised! But it takes some time, will do it after this weekend.

Michi Besler
05-22-2010, 04:09 AM
wunderbar!!!

axelkloehn
05-25-2010, 02:11 PM
another preview:
can't believe it's +40 years old...

full coverage of the painting process comes tomorrow
---------------------------------------------------

Planetwarmer
05-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Very nice!:yes:

CaribouLou
05-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Super cool!

axelkloehn
05-26-2010, 02:50 AM
summary:

it's 95% of the time masking, 5% spraying :bonk:

It all worked out fine, the vinyl-masks turned out to be ok, applying and removing them on the boat, even on fresh paint, was no problem.

It was hell of a masking process, you have to get the symmetry right, and work properly with a fine spray gun for the base colors. I applied the shadows with an airbrush gun, and clearcoated the surfaces afterwards. No clearcoating in between!

The whole painting process took about 3 days due to drying time of the paint, and I clearcoated the deck first, and next day the sides of the boat.
.................................................. ................................................

axelkloehn
05-26-2010, 03:21 AM
and more:

axelkloehn
05-26-2010, 03:23 AM
the rest:

axelkloehn
05-26-2010, 03:35 AM
...guess it turned out pretty close to my original layout- one advantage if you work out your photoshop-design already with vector-data (suitable for a vinyl cutting plotter)- the design can be transferred 1:1 to the vinyl plotter, no inaccuracies turn up.

Sweet Cheekz
05-26-2010, 07:39 AM
Axel
It looks awesome Well done. Looks like all you have left is rigging the engine room Whats the launch date?
Parnell

gcarter
05-26-2010, 08:39 AM
So Axel, when you say a "fine" gun, do you mean a touch up gun?

axelkloehn
05-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Axel
It looks awesome Well done. Looks like all you have left is rigging the engine room Whats the launch date?
Parnell

Thanks Parnell, no specific launch date- still some work to do: paint drive and rigging, hook the olds-engine to the drive, build engine mounts, wiring, steering... Will take my time to do the things all right.

Sweet Cheekz
05-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Good idea but you only have 4 months of boating left Get cracking

Parnell

axelkloehn
05-26-2010, 09:07 AM
So Axel, when you say a "fine" gun, do you mean a touch up gun?

Sorry George, my description was not very precise. I used Sata equipment. Standard HVLP with 1.4 Jet for big surfaces and clearcoat, a fine Sata Minijet with 0.8 Jet for the color basecoats (metallic), small airbrush for shadows.

axelkloehn
05-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Good idea but you only have 4 months of boating left Get cracking

Parnell

you bet :crossfing:

Ed Donnelly
05-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Axel; That is just so cool seeing the step by step and how it all comes together.
I can't even stay between the lines of a paint by number 8x11.....Ed

axelkloehn
05-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Axel; That is just so cool seeing the step by step and how it all comes together.
I can't even stay between the lines of a paint by number 8x11.....Ed

Thanks Ed... That's what a good masking is made for :wink: Believe it or not, my hands are quiet shaky as well...

gcarter
05-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks Ed... That's what a good masking is made for :wink: Believe it or not, my hands are quiet shaky as well...

I think I could do the masked areas, but those shadows done w/the airbrush looks daunting.
I'm impressed.
Another question.......you spray a dense enough coat to completely cover but not build up so much as to have much of an edge, is that right?
After all, the clearcoat is going to give you your depth.

axelkloehn
05-26-2010, 12:32 PM
I think I could do the masked areas, but those shadows done w/the airbrush looks daunting.
I'm impressed.
Another question.......you spray a dense enough coat to completely cover but not build up so much as to have much of an edge, is that right?
After all, the clearcoat is going to give you your depth.

George, you can't avoid getting edges because of the masking, but you're right, you should not build up to much. The silver I sprayed was very transparent, it did not cover the white too good. There was really an edge, but with the amount of clearcoat I applied it is almost gone.
I was cheating on the engine hatch- I applied tons of clearcoat because of the complex masking and layers of paint which will appear with edges in the clearcoat. Next day after it has dried I did wetsanding the hatch again and applied some more clearcoat- no edges at all!
The depth effect comes with the clearcoat. The more the better!

CaribouLou
05-26-2010, 01:09 PM
...guess it turned out pretty close to my original layout- one advantage if you work out your photoshop-design already with vector-data (suitable for a vinyl cutting plotter)- the design can be transferred 1:1 to the vinyl plotter, no inaccuracies turn up.

Do you have anymore Donzi logos you've got in a vectored format?

axelkloehn
06-19-2010, 01:13 PM
...since we are all waiting for Parnells testdrive results I did some progress too. Not very spectacular, just reworked my Bravo, did some rigging, added carpet and my Donzi stickers.
We have some cold and rainy weather at the moment, I can't take any pictures outside....

axelkloehn
07-03-2010, 12:30 PM
pulled my GT in the sun today... engine and drive not installed, rest is almost done.
I oversized the Donzi logo and pennants, makes a more aggressive look in my opinion- wonder what you guys think.
Couldn't work on it today cause we have 101F!! Too hot to do anything.. :mad:

gcarter
07-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Very impressive Axel.

Sweet Cheekz
07-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Turned out great Axel really looks good How long before the engine goes in?
Parnell

axelkloehn
07-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Turned out great Axel really looks good How long before the engine goes in?
Parnell

thanks Parnell/George, will take some days off from work next week or the week after. Hope I can make it then. Just working saturdays for a few hours on the GT is simply not enough!

Ed Donnelly
07-05-2010, 06:36 AM
If it gets to be any more of a show piece, you will be afraid to drive it LOL ..Ed

axelkloehn
07-05-2010, 06:52 AM
If it gets to be any more of a show piece, you will be afraid to drive it LOL ..Ed

Thanks Ed- I know, that's why I hesitate to put an engine in (LOL) :wink::wink::wink:

axelkloehn
07-21-2010, 02:19 PM
...spent a long time to figure out how the olds could be hooked up to the Bravo, result can be seen in the pics.
Problems, problems, problems. The aft risers are too close to the transom, they almost stick thru it, there is no space for the merc power steering cylinder- the riser is blocking the space for it. I need a 1/2" distance between engine and bellhousing, otherwise the bellhousing hits the coupler (the coupler fit directly to the flywheel without any modifications!!)

And still after replacing the manifold gaskets and sealing it with hi temp permatex I have a problem with water in the oil after todays testrun with the engine hooked up to the waterhose.... cracked block, cylinder head, another gasket problem???

Looks like this is going to be something for the next long winter, I am not in the mood to fool around with this engine anymore...
At the moment I think about installing a standard sbc with 260hp, does anyone have an idea what the performance will be with the GT and a Bravo one hooked up to a 260hp sbc? 50mph or a bit more?

I really wanna drive the GT before the season is over...

Sweet Cheekz
07-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Sorry to hear Axel
I guess low 50's if a 18 runs high 50's It is a lot bigger boat but hopefully you can go out in it to motivate you for the winter It is a nice ride
Parnell

seano
07-21-2010, 03:49 PM
pulled my GT in the sun today... engine and drive not installed, rest is almost done.
I oversized the Donzi logo and pennants, makes a more aggressive look in my opinion- wonder what you guys think.
Couldn't work on it today cause we have 101F!! Too hot to do anything.. :mad:

Axel,

Nice work...I like the combination! 2 Questions...

Is the logo on the hatch a decal or painted? Any Idea where I can find one?

ALos...what's with all the caravans....u living among the pikers? LOL...sorry...just a bit of humor from my favorite Guy Ritchie film...

gcarter
07-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Axel, don't dispair so quickly. I know it's tough and money is tight.
But if you can figure out the water thing, GLM makes some nice aluminum center riser manifolds that are available from many sources.
A pretty good number of members here have gone this route.
Also, there's a lot of them available on eBay.

Planetwarmer
07-22-2010, 01:45 AM
Why the SBC/260? If you are going to buy another motor just to get it going, buy a BBC. I bet you could find a 454/carbed for cheap, or a 502mpi for a little more around somewhere.

axelkloehn
07-22-2010, 02:19 AM
Axel,

Nice work...I like the combination! 2 Questions...

Is the logo on the hatch a decal or painted? Any Idea where I can find one?

ALos...what's with all the caravans....u living among the pikers? LOL...sorry...just a bit of humor from my favorite Guy Ritchie film...

Thanks, logo on the hatch is painted, I have the data for a signmaker or decal printer if you want. I keep the GT at a friends place, he is dealing with caravans and was so kind to give me some spare working space.

axelkloehn
07-22-2010, 02:30 AM
Why the SBC/260? If you are going to buy another motor just to get it going, buy a BBC. I bet you could find a 454/carbed for cheap, or a 502mpi for a little more around somewhere.

Nathan, you're right, but here in germany an affordable bbc is hard to find, 502 almost impossible. A friend offered me a turnkey sbc from 1989 for 3k. I could put it in and drive... I am on the point of doing it because of my frustration that I almost missed one of the most beautiful summers we had for many years.
All your friends go boating and you're still in the garage working on that damned engine and cannot get it fixed! And don't mention the money I dumped in that thing....

Planetwarmer
07-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Nathan, you're right, but here in germany an affordable bbc is hard to find, 502 almost impossible. A friend offered me a turnkey sbc from 1989 for 3k. I could put it in and drive... I am on the point of doing it because of my frustration that I almost missed one of the most beautiful summers we had for many years.
All your friends go boating and you're still in the garage working on that damned engine and cannot get it fixed! And don't mention the money I dumped in that thing....
It may be easier to put an AMG V8 in it since you are in Germany.

Dont you have a Lamborgini? Pull that motor and put IT your the boat!:convertib::yes::kingme:

Planetwarmer
07-22-2010, 02:10 PM
I must say, 50mph is better than 0 mph.:yes:

In all honesty, 50 feels as fast as 70 (almost) when you have the motor pinging off the rev limiter! You just don't have the wind blowing your eyeballs out of your head.

If you put the sbc in, you will need to cut holes for the exhaust unless you divert it through the drive. When you go to install the Big block, your holes in the transom probably wont match up and will have to fill in the old holes, cut new holes, and repaint the entire transom again. If you do plan on installing the Olds motor this winter, and put the sbc in the boat for the summer, I would run the exhaust through the prop.

OR, take the hatch off, and run tractor-style headers!!!!!!!!!

seano
07-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks, logo on the hatch is painted, I have the data for a signmaker or decal printer if you want. I keep the GT at a friends place, he is dealing with caravans and was so kind to give me some spare working space.

possible to email the file to me? seano30<at>yahoo<dot>com

thanks!

axelkloehn
07-22-2010, 02:48 PM
I must say, 50mph is better than 0 mph.:yes:

In all honesty, 50 feels as fast as 70 (almost) when you have the motor pinging off the rev limiter! You just don't have the wind blowing your eyeballs out of your head.

If you put the sbc in, you will need to cut holes for the exhaust unless you divert it through the drive. When you go to install the Big block, your holes in the transom probably wont match up and will have to fill in the old holes, cut new holes, and repaint the entire transom again. If you do plan on installing the Olds motor this winter, and put the sbc in the boat for the summer, I would run the exhaust through the prop.

OR, take the hatch off, and run tractor-style headers!!!!!!!!!

That's right, exhaust is something to think about, thanks. I am thinking about installing a low exhaust arrangement like Parnell did to his GT. Quiet when you're slow, loud when you go fast. Will try to cut the holes that they will fit both engine options. Thru prop is not possible anymore, it's corroded where the U is mounted and no $$$ for a new Bravo rigging.
Depressing when you were planning 400hp and end up with 260... but 50mph is of course better than 0mph...

axelkloehn
07-22-2010, 02:53 PM
possible to email the file to me? seano30<at>yahoo<dot>com

thanks!

done :wink:

Planetwarmer
07-22-2010, 05:01 PM
That's right, exhaust is something to think about, thanks. I am thinking about installing a low exhaust arrangement like Parnell did to his GT. Quiet when you're slow, loud when you go fast. Will try to cut the holes that they will fit both engine options. Thru prop is not possible anymore, it's corroded where the U is mounted and no $$$ for a new Bravo rigging.
Depressing when you were planning 400hp and end up with 260... but 50mph is of course better than 0mph...
It is cheaper to build a small block than a big block. You could get 400 hp out of a 350, if that's all you wanted. The boat still may not run quite 70 though. Throw a different cam in the 350, different intake, heads if you can afford it, and rejet the carb, you would easily bump the hp up 100.

Parts for a 350 are a dime a dozen here, but it may be a different story in Germany though.

axelkloehn
07-23-2010, 01:15 AM
It is cheaper to build a small block than a big block. You could get 400 hp out of a 350, if that's all you wanted. The boat still may not run quite 70 though. Throw a different cam in the 350, different intake, heads if you can afford it, and rejet the carb, you would easily bump the hp up 100.

Parts for a 350 are a dime a dozen here, but it may be a different story in Germany though.

Yep, sbc parts are easier to get and cheaper here as well. Could be an option to pump a sbc up. I would be happy with 60-65 mph. Many thx for your input and mental support, Nathan

pix is higher res. Click on the thumbnail, than click on the popup and you get it in original size:

Planetwarmer
07-24-2010, 03:23 AM
Yep, sbc parts are easier to get and cheaper here as well. Could be an option to pump a sbc up. I would be happy with 60-65 mph. Many thx for your input and mental support, Nathan

pix is higher res. Click on the thumbnail, than click on the popup and you get it in original size:
Use a pitot tube style speedo and drill out the hole in the pick up. It will read 80mph at 60 and no passenger will know the difference. If that doesn't work, change the spring in the speedo itself to a weaker spring rate. Then you can run the 260hp stock.

axelkloehn
07-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Use a pitot tube style speedo and drill out the hole in the pick up. It will read 80mph at 60 and no passenger will know the difference. If that doesn't work, change the spring in the speedo itself to a weaker spring rate. Then you can run the 260hp stock.

That's the way to go!! Great idea :yes::bonk: But what's when a 14ft inflatable with a 65hp Johnson outboard is passing me? How do I explain that to the passengers?? :wink:

By the way- in the pics you can see a very helpful tool for locating your merc engine mounts, the lower for V8s, the higher for V6:

axelkloehn
09-11-2010, 02:35 PM
finally- and if the weather turns out to be fine tomorrow it will have it's first ride. Jesus, did not think I will make it this year....

Powersteering is bit jumpy, like there is air in the system. But there is enough ATF inside. Any ideas?

Sorry for the bad movie quality, taken with my cellphone.

Sweet Cheekz
09-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Congrats Axel!
Parnell

Just Say N20
09-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Axel, Congratulations!

That is awesome. The boat looks great, sounds great, and will get you out on the water.

I'm still hoping to get my boat wet this year.

By the way, I had decals made from the files you sent, and they turned out fantastic! Thanks so much.

gcarter
09-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Good going Axel.
Get her wet!:)

Greg Guimond
09-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Nice work Axel.....:yes:

Ed Donnelly
09-11-2010, 09:07 PM
That must be music to your ears..
It is to mine.............Well done....................Ed

Planetwarmer
09-12-2010, 01:15 AM
I'm sure the power steering has air in there somewhere. Work the steering back and fourth from lock to lock while its running. If that doesn't work, try it with it turned off.

Looks and sounds great. What motor/drive did you go with?

axelkloehn
09-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Thanks guys, just woke up and checked the weather. Cloudy, cold, but no rain, think I will try the first ride today... rain is expected this afternoon, so wish me luck!

Nathan, standard sbc with Bravo one. Something around 260hp, not the last word but might be ok in the beginning.

Planetwarmer
09-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Better than a paddle!

Sweet Cheekz
09-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Or a canoe

axelkloehn
09-12-2010, 10:54 AM
paddle? canoe? Here you go :hyper:

gcarter
09-12-2010, 10:59 AM

Great idea Axel......
Look cool and get your exercise at the same time!

axelkloehn
09-12-2010, 11:46 AM
IT WAS GREAT!!!!

Minor problems: power steering still a bit jumpy, wrong prop (14x23), lots of prop spin- very sensitive with wrong trim, over-pressure in the drive- drive oil came from the reservoir in the bilge, small water leak after driving- was ok before I started driving... but it was such a good feeling after all the work and problems!!

Foto coverage- many thanks to Michi who was driving with me in his shelby

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

axelkloehn
09-12-2010, 11:47 AM
movies:

gcarter
09-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Congratulations!

Makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it?

Michi Besler
09-12-2010, 11:58 AM
.......my friend, was a pleasure for me!:yes:

Ed Donnelly
09-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Now there are two beautiful Donzis running that water CONGRATS..Ed

Planetwarmer
09-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Hey! Its a twin engine!

axelkloehn
09-13-2010, 02:02 AM
thanks guys, I am really happy :)

Just Say N20
09-13-2010, 06:16 AM
That's Great! With all the challenges you had, you still got it running and in the water.

I love the picture with you driving your boat with your hands in the air. Mercedes is running a commercial in the US for the AMG gull wing car. The ad has a bunch of people putting their arms in the air after a victory. The last shot is of the MB from the front with the gull wing doors going up the same way to make the "V." This was definitely a victory for you!

axelkloehn
09-13-2010, 06:26 AM
thank you so much Bill- it was such a great feeling, a release of tremendous joy after all the difficulties and frustration, but in the end I turned out to be the winner... wish you the same feeling soon.
Axel