PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Plating

A2VeeDub
08-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Where's a good place to get some parts from my 18C replated?

I have 4 vents, Morse shifter, hatch latch, hatch hinges, and maybe a few other small goodies that need to be replated.

Should I look locally to Baltimore or should I ship them to a "well-known" place. Most of the stuff has some small "blistering" from under the original chrome. Is this repairable?

Any idea what I can expect for cost and can anyone recommend a place that has given them good results. I'm getting tired of the blue streaks on my paint from the brass starting to come through.

MOP
08-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Plating has become more expensive due to the environmental issues. A good shop is worth waiting for, there must be one close to you area. Motorcycle or custom car shops should be able to give you references.

BUIZILLA
08-27-2009, 08:35 AM
try Tri City Plating in Elizabethton, Tenn.

2donzi2
08-27-2009, 08:43 AM
I searched from Dallas to South Florida and was getting outrageous prices. Having had lots of chrome done in the past, I was not aware how much it had gone up. I found a place in Hialeah Florida (miami) called Hialeah Plating. They were 1/2 of what everyone else was charging and I was pleased with the work. Had some small brass repairs that needed to be done before plated which they took care of. They have done chrome on 3 boats for me. Just an old warehouse in an industrial area.

Scott Pearson
08-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Browns Plating in Kentucky....Hands down the best. Does all of my plating.

A2VeeDub
08-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Any rough ideas on pricing? Few hundred bucks or are we talking upwards of $500?

gcarter
08-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Bill, El Conquistador del Mar, has a contact in the Dallas area and knows of a place in S. Cal that is pretty cheap but he thinks they're sending it to Mexico.

gcarter
08-27-2009, 09:43 AM
5-6 years ago I paid $350+ for hinges and lifting rings.

Scott Pearson
08-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Its not gonna be $500.00 I can tell you that. Remember...you get what you pay for! I would say $1,000 +

A2VeeDub
08-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Thats eye opening.

Thanks.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Bill, El Conquistador del Mar, has a contact in the Dallas area and knows of a place in S. Cal that is pretty cheap but he thinks they're sending it to Mexico.

George is referring to LA Wheel in California that I only guess has the work done in Mexico considering some Jaguar wheel triple chrome plating prices that they did for me, but I had my 1971 Donzi chrome work done by a local place in Sherman, TX that took it to their platers in Dallas. I don't know who they use, but I was pleased with the finished work and price. Here is the post: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=464842&postcount=106 Bill

jg480
08-27-2009, 11:53 AM
I used A-W Custom Chrome, They do alot of prototype work for GM. They are in the Detroit area. It cost me $900.00 to do all the chrome on my 18c, less the motor hatch hinges and grab rail

mrfixxall
08-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Chit,,its gone way up since i had some stuff done on the x..it cost me $20.00 each to get the chrome vents done at a local shop nead me..10 yrs and still look like new:)

rtgogo
08-27-2009, 02:00 PM
I second the Browns recommendation. They've dipped a lot of my Harley parts and do great work.

fegettes
08-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Chit,,its gone way up since i had some stuff done on the x..it cost me $20.00 each to get the chrome vents done at a local shop nead me..10 yrs and still look like new:)

Yeah, it is way up. All of my chrome on my Stingray was rechromed for $265 back maybe 20 years ago. That included all three bumpers, all of the hard top and soft top parts, interior parts, and under the hood parts. And it all still looks good. I would be terrified of the price to get this done again.

A couple years ago I wanted to reanodize my Blackhawk parts and couldn't find anyone to perform this, so I ended up gold plating them. That was a little pricey.

Steve

margo
08-30-2009, 08:49 PM
I had a set of hatch hinges and the round hatch latch done in Ft Lauderdale, for a 86 Minx. Cost 125.00. Great job, they were in rough shape

2donzi2
08-30-2009, 09:33 PM
I paid 1300.00 to do my my 18 and my Hornet. Lifting rings, vents, thru hulls, gas filler, gas vent, hinges, light poles, light bezels and railm ends. I was quoted 1000-1200 for one boat.

silverghost
11-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Most of the plating outfits have more Antique & classic car & streetrod and cycle business than they really want!
They use the EPA regs. as an excuse to charge these nutty prices!
The EPA is killing much of the USA's plating & foundry casting businesses!
Much plating is now taken to Mexico !
Those shops in the US who specialize in this type of work are looking for folks with deep pockets !
Also they cannot use the old chrome tecniques anymore !
You are now paying big money for inferior work!
If you do all or most of the prep work & old chrome removal & buffing you can still find some fair deals around Philly.
A friend knows a guy who works at Frankford Plating in Philly who does our plating on his lunch hour. You must know that they don't charge
their regular industrial/commercial production accounts these nutty high prices!

Conquistador_del_mar
11-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Most of the plating outfits have more Antique & classic car & streetrod and cycle business than they really want!
They use the EPA regs. as an excuse to charge these nutty prices!
The EPA is killing much of the USA's plating & foundry casting businesses!
Much plating is now taken to Mexico !
Those shops in the US who specialize in this type of work are looking for folks with deep pockets !
Also they cannot use the old chrome tecniques anymore !
You are now paying big money for inferior work!
If you do all or most of the prep work & old chrome removal & buffing you can still find some fair deals around Philly.
A friend knows a guy who works at Frankford Plating in Philly who does our plating on his lunch hour. You must know that they don't charge
their regular industrial/commercial production accounts these nutty high prices!

That is why the chroming I had done was apparently fairly inexpensive. The place where I took mine has their industrial parts chromed in Dallas so they were willing to take my parts to that chromer on their weekly runs. They did a very satisfactory job for me for the $359, and they probably made a little just for the trouble. Here is the post I made again. Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=464842&postcount=106

ajochum
11-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Don't think its been mentioned yet, but be very careful of what you term "chrome plating". Triple chrome plating is the only way to go, where they add the copper, the nickel and finally the chrome. I have a guy who I think is a wonderful person, but he insists that triple plating isn't necessary. Well, my bumpers lasted about 5 years and the whole process has to start over.

I'm attaching a video on chroming which is pretty informative. It also explains to me just why it is so expensive. And yes, the EPA got involved, but I'm sure they had to with people just pouring the residue into the water supply. In Mexico, they don't have these requirements, but I can only imagine what it must be doing to their bodies and their children.
http://www.myspace.com/lakesidecustomplating (http://www.myspace.com/lakesidecustomplating).

For the record, I priced out 3 companies to re-do my front and rear bumpers and the bumperettes (4) and the prices ranged from $1350 (these guys) to $1800.

knots2u
11-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Chromemasters
Nashville, Tenn.

Better than Browns and they'll answer the phone!

BUIZILLA
11-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Tri City Plating in Elizabethton, TN

Bob
11-09-2009, 09:14 PM
AC Plating in Bakersfield, CA. They specialize in Hot Rods amd custom cars. Very Reasonable. Did the hardware on my Hornet for $400-500. Turn around in 2 weeks.

FISHIN SUCKS
11-09-2009, 11:40 PM
I used a plater in Toledo, OH, to do all 8 of my blower vents (no pits, just dull), charged $20/each and turned out great in spring '08. I don't have his card with me right now, but if interested, I can get you the name and number. Coincidentally, I have a customer in Bakersfield on the same street (Mt. Vernon Ave) that Bob is referring to, and they will not use him. Happy to hear Bob did not get screwed:crossfing:!