PDA

View Full Version : 18 barrelback vs 22 classic space

wagspe208
08-26-2009, 10:28 PM
I have a 68 v-drive barrelback. I am looking to get something with a little more interior room. How much do I gain with a 22' piece?
My 18 is totally good with me and the GF or 4 friendly adults and one small cooler. I need more cooler space. LOL
Wags

wagspe208
08-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Hmmm... I guess no one here has any idea?? Doubt it.
How about someone with a 22 classic measure the cockpit dimension for me?? Please??
Wags

Donzi Vol
08-31-2009, 11:50 PM
Wags,

While I don't have a 22, I have spent a fair amount of time in a couple. I also have an 18, and understand the confined space problem. However, in my opinion there isn't a heck of a lot more room in a 22. I'm sure by measurements it is bigger, but when you get 4 people in there you've still got the same juggling around. Of course you've got 4 more feet of deck to put people out on if they're getting in your way :)

Your barrel back sounds great. I just traded a triple hatch restoration boat. Luckily I'll still get to see the restoration progress and final product.

Hope this helps.

-David

RedDog
09-01-2009, 07:07 AM
ditto

I've had both - not much difference in room

glashole
09-01-2009, 07:10 AM
pontoon boats have lots of room

A2VeeDub
09-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Wags,

While I don't have a 22, I have spent a fair amount of time in a couple. I also have an 18, and understand the confined space problem. However, in my opinion there isn't a heck of a lot more room in a 22. I'm sure by measurements it is bigger, but when you get 4 people in there you've still got the same juggling around. Of course you've got 4 more feet of deck to put people out on if they're getting in your way :)

-David

Second that. I own an 18 and my father owns a 22. I'm pretty sure the cockpit on the 22 measures slightly bigger, but most of the length is added to the front deck and a little to the rear hatch. The biggest difference is the cockpit depth which makes the 5th passenger a little more at ease with nothing to hold onto. I think the front deck is a little higher so you might be able to fit a taller cooler under it.

I usually carry two soft coolers in my 18. One with beer and one with food. The ones that came with 36 cans of Coors light in them work well.

Carl C
09-01-2009, 07:30 AM
There is no more room in the 22, there is, however, a solution that is not for everyone:

gcarter
09-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Of course a Carlized 22C has lots of storage space.
It'd be hard to come close w/a Carlized 18.

Donzi Vol
09-01-2009, 09:44 AM
pontoon boats have lots of room

LOL! Hilarious

There is no more room in the 22, there is, however, a solution that is not for everyone:

Carl, that's awesome. I think that makes so much more sense than the ski locker, but what do I know?

VetteLT193
09-01-2009, 09:55 AM
I have a 68 v-drive barrelback. I am looking to get something with a little more interior room. How much do I gain with a 22' piece?
My 18 is totally good with me and the GF or 4 friendly adults and one small cooler. I need more cooler space. LOL
Wags

The 22 has a little more room. It is mainly taller. Pack the floor locker with ice and your favorite beverage for backup to your main cooler.

wagspe208
09-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Ah...there we go. Thanks for the responses guys.
I have no floor locker as the boat is a v-drive.
I don't need a food cooler. I guess I will make do with the beer only cooler.
I probably could piss off a couple of friends, then the whole back seat could be a cooler. LOL

I was planning on a deck off, and recore, tank ?, etc project this winter. Much cheaper than a newer 22. Much more time, though.
Thanks again
Wags

Donzi Vol
09-01-2009, 07:38 PM
I was planning on a deck off, and recore, tank ?, etc project this winter. Much cheaper than a newer 22. Much more time, though.
Thanks again
Wags

Wags,
What's your email? I'll send you some pics of our triple hatch restoration. We had to redo the entire core. CrewCab has done heck of a job!
Oh and we need some pictures of your barrel back. I love those boats!
All the best,
David

wagspe208
09-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Wags,
What's your email? I'll send you some pics of our triple hatch restoration. We had to redo the entire core. CrewCab has done heck of a job!
Oh and we need some pictures of your barrel back. I love those boats!
All the best,
David
Wagspe208@yahoo.com
I'd love to see some pictures. I spent the last 10 months on the drag boat. Now this winter is for the pleasure boat.
Wags

Donzi Vol
09-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Wagspe208@yahoo.com
I'd love to see some pictures. I spent the last 10 months on the drag boat. Now this winter is for the pleasure boat.
Wags

Alright, your inbox should be busting out now. I've sent you some pictures...and got a little carried away!