PDA

View Full Version : X Power Designs...A Serious Outdrive

Air 22
08-26-2009, 06:07 PM
If proven to be reliable...this could be the answer to the blown bravo problems w high HP engines....price is in line w/ similar applications....time will tell...so far so good! Gotta luv technology...:) August Powerboat pg.30 has some info.:wink:

good looking unit...:pimp:

http://xpowerdrive.com/frame_index.html

The Hedgehog
08-26-2009, 06:16 PM
I really want someone to do it.

The shaft height is too high for me without going into the experimental category. I am currently running around 4.5" below the pad. I am told that this would be even for me. When the ZX gets up there in speed it likes to hang the bow out so I dunno if it would work.

mrfixxall
08-26-2009, 07:20 PM
I really want someone to do it.

The shaft height is too high for me without going into the experimental category. I am currently running around 4.5" below the pad. I am told that this would be even for me. When the ZX gets up there in speed it likes to hang the bow out so I dunno if it would work.

thats what drive spacers are for hedge :)

The Hedgehog
08-26-2009, 08:43 PM
thats what drive spacers are for hedge :)

I know I know, but 4.5"?

MOP
08-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Stern Skeg! That should put a hold on 180's!

MOP
08-26-2009, 09:19 PM
There must be some running out there!

mrfixxall
08-26-2009, 10:02 PM
I know I know, but 4.5"?

ok ok ok ok and 19'' props :biggrin.:

tamburello
08-27-2009, 08:41 AM
"Fishin' Sucks" and I talked to the company founder Bill Auberlin at the Los Angeles boat show. He was fun to talk to and he spent quite a while explaining the details of the drive to us. This drive is pretty sweet and it has some amazing engineering resources behind it.

Bill races in the American LeMans series for BMW so he used his race engineer connections at BMW and elsewhere to help design the drive, can you say incredible resources. This thing has some amazing thought put into it and the quality of parts in this drive are top notch. Bill walked us through some of the design and development process and how the X Power drive compares with the best bravo based components out there.

I caught up with Bill in July at the Rum Run offshore race in Long Beach. He said that his company has been installing the drives on a number of local West coast boats. So far he's filling existing orders as fast as his team can assemble drives. He started with local boats so that his crew in Huntington could install the drives at their site, I'm not sure if he has a dealer network set up yet.

The drives are out there. A test boat with 1,300+ hp has logged a bunch of hours with an X Power drive and Bill is running a pair on his Spectre cat with 2 x 1,600 hp Pfaff's.

IMHO - There really isn't a bravo type drive out there that compares with the X Power drive. This is pretty much designed to be like a Merc 6 drive and set up to run no. 6 drive cleavers. The power handling of a 6 drive in a shiftable, dry sumped package that bolts up to a bravo gimble. Although at around $30,000, I don't think you'll see many pushing Donzi Classics.

- Jeff

BigGrizzly
08-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Actually this company bough out stern power. They have adapters that use squre drive props. When we talked to the engineer there, who came from stern power he stated the fixed all the old problems and most parts would interchange.

Air 22
08-27-2009, 10:43 AM
" Although at around $30,000, I don't think you'll see many pushing Donzi Classics.
- Jeff
I bet a few....:pimp: