PDA

View Full Version : Anchor - Fortress Vs. Guardian

VetteLT193
08-24-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm between a Fortress FX-11 ($126 shipped) and a Gaurdian G16 ($90 shipped).

I boat mainly in the Gulf of Mexico (sandy bottom) and local freshwater rivers (generally calm water). It seems like the G16 is actually better and cheaper, is this actually the case?

handfulz28
08-24-2009, 12:55 PM
http://www.fortressanchors.com/

Other than the Guardian not having the adjustible fluke angle, they're essentially the same. The Guardian isn't as pretty and only gets a 1 yr replacement warranty vs Fortress lifetime.

That Fortress price seems very cheap i.e. a pretty good deal compared to what I've seen on craigslist. I used a FX-11 as my primary and bought a little G-5 as a stern anchor. I also used the 6' white vinyl coated chain on the Fortress and it always worked great.

VetteLT193
08-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks, I didn't see the warranty difference.

Trueser
08-24-2009, 01:45 PM
What will fit in the front hatch? securely????

VetteLT193
08-24-2009, 01:52 PM
What will fit in the front hatch? securely????

I'm not sure. I hoped Donzi made the thing big enough for a proper anchor... I'll measure tonight before ordering. The Guardian is a bit larger.

Worst case is I can break it down I guess. :bonk:

I have an anchor now from my Minx and it's too small, so I'll use that as my backup / secondary anchor. I actually hoped to put two anchors in the front locker. The one in there now doesn't take up much room at all.

Trueser
08-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Whatever you do just make sure they can be tied down.

I plan on some upgrades on my Anchor holder this week.

VetteLT193
08-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Whatever you do just make sure they can be tied down.

I plan on some upgrades on my Anchor holder this week.

what kind of anchor do you carry?

Trueser
08-24-2009, 03:11 PM
what kind of anchor do you carry?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58412&highlight=28zx+anchor

see pictures

I need to add something to hold the arm from hitting the hatch cover. Other than that it's solid.

Damm Lake Michigan......

Donzi Andy
08-24-2009, 06:12 PM
I have the fortress FX-16 and it fits perfectly in the anchor locker of the 35 ZR. The fortress costs a little more but has performed flawless.

MOP
08-24-2009, 07:48 PM
If the space is not adequate you may want to look at one of those box anchors, quite few members have them and seem more then happy. It is suppose to have extremely good holding power, and collapses very flat for easy storage. More expensive but may fill the bill better.

http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_ProductDetails.aspx?ID=024a8189-c4ba-41dc-9a41-c5e749bb8688

VetteLT193
08-29-2009, 08:49 PM
I got the Guardian and am happy I did. The only difference besides the anodizing is the Fortress has an extra hole drilled into the fluke for muddy bottoms. But you have to take it apart in order to set it for Mud Vs. regular, so I'd never use that anyway.

If anyone needs one of these, RiverMarineSupply down in south florida has old prices or something... their "retail" is about 50 bucks less than actual retail and they discount it from there.

I haven't stuck it in the anchor locker yet. Even though I measured before I bought it it sure seems big now that I have it in front of me.

Cuda
08-30-2009, 08:13 AM
I bought this anchor for my jon boat. I used it to stern anchor my 302. You would not believe how much it will hold. We spent the night on the boats one time, and had to shift positions in the middle of the night, and I ended up having four boats anchored to just this one small anchor. I think I paid ten bucks for it.

VetteLT193
08-31-2009, 07:08 AM
I bought this anchor for my jon boat. I used it to stern anchor my 302. You would not believe how much it will hold. We spent the night on the boats one time, and had to shift positions in the middle of the night, and I ended up having four boats anchored to just this one small anchor. I think I paid ten bucks for it.

That is funny as heck. That's identical to the other one I have... well, mine is a bit newer, but same anchor. It actually does work well once it gets a good set. Getting it set though is near impossible at our sandbar area. I generally swim out and manually set the thing and I'm tired of doing that. :bonk:

Cuda
08-31-2009, 08:11 AM
That is funny as heck. That's identical to the other one I have... well, mine is a bit newer, but same anchor. It actually does work well once it gets a good set. Getting it set though is near impossible at our sandbar area. I generally swim out and manually set the thing and I'm tired of doing that. :bonk:
A length of chain makes all the difference when setting this type anchor. It makes it lay down, and the flukes get a better hold on the bottom.

The only place I ever had trouble getting this type anchor to set was in Egmont Channel at the mouth of Tampa Bay. The water is 100 feet deep, and the tide rips through there. I imagine the bottom is scoured as hard at concrete.