PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Starting Problem

Kirbyvv
08-24-2009, 11:12 AM
I've got an intermittent starting problem. Hop in, turn the key and nothing, not a sound, turn it a second or third time and it fires right up. Then it will work fine for the next few times, then act up again. It seems more common when it is a cold start. I pulled and reset the kill switch and it still acts up. Is this a starter selenoid or are we tracking a gremlin?

mrfixxall
08-24-2009, 11:16 AM
I've got an intermittent starting problem. Hop in, turn the key and nothing, not a sound, turn it a second or third time and it fires right up. Then it will work fine for the next few times, then act up again. It seems more common when it is a cold start. I pulled and reset the kill switch and it still acts up. Is this a starter selenoid or are we tracking a gremlin?

loose battery cable at the starter? check all the connections,battery too! :)

hardcrab
08-24-2009, 11:17 AM
possible wiring connection at key switch or switch itself ? .........:crossfing:

Trueser
08-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Also check the engine connector. Loossen hose clamp pull it off and reset.

MOP
08-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Inside the connector plug that Mike mentioned you will notice tiny slits in the prongs, take thin blade and carefully open the slits up slightly just a hair this will ensure better contact within the plug.

mrfixxall
08-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Guys he has a older volvo, i dont think volvo used that style plug back then:)

Kirbyvv
Thanks, I'll try it all and see how it goes.

RedDog
replace the key switch