PDA

View Full Version : Did Donzi ever build a bench seat 18 ?

silverghost
08-23-2009, 02:00 AM
Did Donzi ever build just a bench seat 18 in the early years?
I seem to remember once seeing a bench seat only Donzi 18 "Classic style" some 20+ years ago similar to a bench seat hornet! It was a real Donzi~not a knock-off clone?
There were no bucket seats like in the 2+3, 18. & no wrap-around bench seating like the 16's had.
Could this customer have special-ordered this odd seating set-up?
Possibly because he was very tall?
OR
Is my mind just a bit fuzzy after 20+ years?
Brad Hunter

Rob M
08-23-2009, 02:43 AM
Don't know if it truly exists, but if it does and it was produced directly by Donzi then it's "a holy grail".
I think a board member (Lenny) is building something similar.
I recall seeing a picture of a benchseat 16 or 18 on this site at one time that I don't think was Lenny's project.
Here's the picture:

MOP
08-23-2009, 06:29 AM
I have not seen any reference to a bench 18, if one did exist Matty will know. Lenny may have what it takes to put one together, that was an early on project of his.

Phil

Lenny
08-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Don't know if it truly exists, but if it does and it was produced directly by Donzi then it's "a holy grail".
I think a board member (Lenny) is building something similar.
I recall seeing a picture of a benchseat 16 or 18 on this site at one time that I don't think was Lenny's project.
Here's the picture:

That was my picture that started it all. It looks like that today sans power and some interior.

Huge project, so little time like I used to have.

The only REAL ones I have ever heard of is the Hornet as the one Pearson has for sale and the Criterions.

boxy
08-23-2009, 09:35 AM
That was my picture that started it all. It looks like that today sans power and some interior.

Huge project, so little time like I used to have.

The only REAL ones I have ever heard of is the Hornet as the one Pearson has for sale and the Criterions.
I wonder if that picture will spark future donzi discussions about the existence of a bench seat 18 :D :D

Rootsy
08-25-2009, 07:22 AM
I've been all over an 18 Donzi that was turned into a bench seat many many years ago, like back in the late 70's and early 80's. The forward cockpit was glassed over and a new dash made. You sat where the rear bench was.

The boat is (was) about 6 miles from my parents. I looked at it about 2003ish. My sister's best friend's father owned it at the time. Not sure of the year but it was a post 68 boat.