08-21-2009, 07:41 PM
I will no longer be posting third party boats

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59113

stu
08-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Simply beautiful.

f_inscreenname
08-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Nice but "then in 2003 he spent over $41,000 restoring the boat to it's current specifications with a new Alpha One 305 Mercruiser package."
Thats a lot of money or $2562.50 a foot and I don't think Alpha One's and 305 Mercs were available back then (maybe an O model and I'm sure you could have got a 305 but). And here I'm trying figure how to hold up the hatch covers on the race boat without using those gas struts but they went right by those also. For 41 grand inside and out it would have looked just like Don gave it to me yesterday.
Now you all see why I do this stuff at home.

f_inscreenname
08-22-2009, 10:22 AM
F'N: so your point is it wasn't kept original equipment. Don't get all worked up because the guy spent 41k on it. He's loosing 21k right out of the box.
If I was looking for a a ski sportster or even a sweet 16 this would be the only one to buy. Regardless off power and drive. as all that is exchangeable if you wanted to put a Moody in it or what ever it originally came with.
The Hull is impeccable and to me the only thing that is a Donzi is the Hull & interior.Everything else is a commercial item."Matty and I have had this discussion" I Value the point about keeping thing true to the heritage.
BUT a 1964 in that condition For under $20K I would live with what it has.

I do not collect Donzis I have one and I drive it every day.

If I bought that one I would drive 2 every day:kingme:

Specifications:

Length: 16 Ft. 0 in.Model: Sweet 16 Ski SportsterBrand: Donzi MarineYear: 1964Location: OregonType: Classic and Antique BoatsPrice: $19,995 OBO

I'm cool with that but this boat has a history and that is part of the sale. It's the 41 grand that gets me. I'm just a backyarder and I have to take what I can get when I rebuild history boats but I always try to stay in its era. There is a lot of other boats they could have done that to. IMHO this one should have been kept as much as original as possible or original looking as possible. I'm not a Donzi expert but it looks like any other 16 now. Although a very nice one and well worth the money. :yes:

mattyboy
08-22-2009, 10:44 AM
F'N: so your point is it wasn't kept original equipment. Don't get all worked up because the guy spent 41k on it. He's loosing 21k right out of the box.
If I was looking for a a ski sportster or even a sweet 16 this would be the only one to buy. Regardless off power and drive. as all that is exchangeable if you wanted to put a Moody in it or what ever it originally came with.
The Hull is impeccable and to me the only thing that is a Donzi is the Hull & interior.Everything else is a commercial item."Matty and I have had this discussion" I Value the point about keeping thing true to the heritage.
BUT a 1964 in that condition For under $20K I would live with what it has.

I do not collect Donzis I have one and I drive it every day.

If I bought that one I would drive 2 every day:kingme:

Specifications:

Length: 16 Ft. 0 in.Model: Sweet 16 Ski SportsterBrand: Donzi MarineYear: 1964Location: OregonType: Classic and Antique BoatsPrice: $19,995 OBO

this boat has been discuseed here on a few occassions, it is very nice it has been modernized so any reference to being a 1964 is pretty mute as it is fitted like a newer one.

Joe please take a look at that interior before making any comments on it . for the price the workmanship is not there look how the back seat bunches up making the turns in the corners plus the wrong drivers seat not to mention where are the tuck and rolled pleats on the seat bottoms???

returning it to it's original condition is now a real undertaking as the transom would need to be reworked

put this boat along side a mint original like Bobby D's 16 and compare, then talk about heritage history

it is a great looking boat don't get me wrong but it is not perfect

mdonzi
08-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Is the chris craft next to it for sale

mattyboy
08-22-2009, 05:02 PM
do you think for 41K they could have put a pair of bennett sport tabs on it or a pair of lenco anything Hydraulic????

sorry joe but that money is not in proportion to the quality of workmanship
just look at the 1968 barrelback list by Pearson and then compare apples to apples any buyer for that money would have to look at details or why not just buy a newer 16 for that money, what would be your reasoning to buy a 45 year old piece of glass for the same money has a newer one???

Plus you said it all came down to the hull and the interior???

very nice boat I am sure it will make someone happy someday

BUIZILLA
08-22-2009, 06:21 PM
a LOT of Boston Whalers used to use those tabs..

f_inscreenname
08-22-2009, 07:28 PM
PS here is one you can keep all original, well worth the money don't you think:kingme:
http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/1322113696.html

No. Maybe 500 or less with the trailer but I would have to see it first. :wink:

Donzi Vol
08-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I hate to be that guy, but as matty said, this boat has been discussed several times on here. It is simply beautiful, and I love looking at it. However, last I heard it belonged to a board member (MOJO, I think) who was trying to sell it, and our threads with a hint of negativity here and there toward the restoration screwed him on a sale. I felt pretty bad about it. So...maybe we should just leave this one alone :)

chappy
08-23-2009, 07:58 AM
I hate to be that guy, but as matty said, this boat has been discussed several times on here. It is simply beautiful, and I love looking at it. However, last I heard it belonged to a board member (MOJO, I think) who was trying to sell it, and our threads with a hint of negativity here and there toward the restoration screwed him on a sale. I felt pretty bad about it. So...maybe we should just leave this one alone :)

Great point David. It's a very nice boat that will make it's eventual new owner happy and proud.

One more note, if Scott Pearson's Pumpkin is inserted into a debate with another ad for comparison purposes, it probably will come out ahead. There are few that compare. I see no need to put other's boats down by inserting his orange 18 into a debate as a benchmark. Most know exactly how special his boat already is.:wavey:

chappy
08-23-2009, 09:14 AM
There is always a benchmark.. Our 97 point Vette gets trumped regularly, doesn't mean it's a bad car..

Not disputing there are benchmarks, they just don't need to be inserted into every for sale ad.:)

mattyboy
08-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Not disputing there are benchmarks, they just don't need to be inserted into every for sale ad.:)

donzi vol and chappy,

please read this post and the post link in the thread

the consensus here ( which I don't agree with ) about the not mine ad are as follows

it helps track the history of the boat

it gives the general non buying membership a feel for the current market value of donzi a benchmark so to speak

they like to see what is out there

it helps members looking to buy and adds the discussion on the boat so they don't get burned

sorry this happened to the seller but had the ad not been posted 2 or 3 other times on this site as NOT MINE maybe the member who had it for sale might have posted it as theirs and been afforded the benefits and comraderie this site offers from time to time

sorry you feel a benchmark is out of place in a discussion about a boat for sale and what the current offerings on the market are priced at. that seems to be what the members want

:rolleyes:

chappy
08-28-2009, 09:47 AM
donzi vol and chappy,

the consensus here ( which I don't agree with ) about the not mine ad are as follows

it gives the general non buying membership a feel for the current market value of donzi a benchmark so to speak

it helps members looking to buy and adds the discussion on the boat so they don't get burned

sorry this happened to the seller but had the ad not been posted 2 or 3 other times on this site as NOT MINE maybe the member who had it for sale might have posted it as theirs and been afforded the benefits and comraderie this site offers from time to time

sorry you feel a benchmark is out of place in a discussion about a boat for sale and what the current offerings on the market are priced at. that seems to be what the members want

Thanks for the clarification Matty, I'll try to do better next time.

mattyboy
08-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Chappy,

you're doing fine

I see valid points in your post and in Donzi Vol's

it's just not the consensus

VetteLT193
08-28-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure why anyone would question the dollars part of this boat.

Add up the parts alone. It is obvious that the owner bought new equipment for the boat and had someone do the work.

Power/drive alone... 10k
start packing in all the rest of the stuff... shifter, cables, gauges, switches, wiring, decals + odds and ends, deck hardware, etc. etc. etc.

Looks like a new trailer too...

Interior isn't quite right, but it is literally the last item on the list. After the guy wrote the check for $40,500 for the rest of the parts and labor to rig everything he spent the last 500 on interior. Big whoop... change it out if you don't like it.

Also, Pearson didn't say what he spent on his BB 18'... but I suspect the price of parts + paint + labor (even at a very modest rate) would blow by $40k like it was standing still. The amount of hours on the paint alone is hard to imagine.

Donzi Vol
08-28-2009, 10:11 PM
donzi vol and chappy,

Fair enough. The only reason I said anything is because I personally felt bad about the last time this one was on here because the guy got really upset about it. I kindly asked harbormaster to delete the thread before it hit the fan...and he did so. I sent the owner/board member a message apologizing for the situation, so naturally I felt an obligation to post here. No big deal, though. Thanks matty.

-David