PDA

View Full Version : 383 SBC Chevrolet Marine Engine

Forrest
08-21-2009, 08:28 AM
**** Engine and Cooling system has been SOLD ****

GIL Exhaust System and Mercrusier 255 cast oil pan are both still available.

77 hours of use run only with full fresh-water cooled closed cooling system. Raw water never run though block, heads, or exhaust manifolds - only antifreeze mix. Mobil One only.

Here is the break-down:

383 CID SBC Wheeler Motorsports (Jacksonville, FL) 4-bolt main rotating assembly (3970010 high-nickel content block, near zero core shift, 2-piece rear seal).
KB Claimer Hyperutectic flat-top pistons
5.7" shot-peened & magnefluxed rods with ARP Bolts
Wheeler Motorsports crankshaft
393441 port matched heads (9.6:1 static CR) upgraded to 2.02" intakes
Ferria stainless steel valves (intake and exhaust)
Crane H-272-2 flat-tappet camshaft kit
Cloyes true roller timing set
Weiand Stealth intake manifold with ARP Stainless Steel bolts
Mallory Marine magnetic distributor
MSD Blaster coil
Summit Racing spiro-core ignition wires
Weiand classic finned aluminum valve covers
Holley marine mechanical fuel pump
Fel-Pro marine gaskets & one-piece oil pan gasket
Milodon high-flow water circulation pump w/ billet aluminum pulley,
Billet aluminum crankshaft pulley
Melling high volume oil pump with ARP shaft
New Fel-Pro head bolts
Flywheel with 383/400 counter-weight
Brass freeze plugs
Mercruiser motor mounts
Chris-Craft cast aluminum oil-pan
Mercruiser alternator mount
Note: There is no carburetor, starter motor, or alternator in this package,
you must supply you own.

fegettes
08-21-2009, 09:21 AM
What is the HP of this engine?

Please clarify. How is this a complete engine without the carburator?

Starter?

Forrest
08-21-2009, 11:03 AM
You're right . . . no carb, wiring harness, alternator, or starter. I can throw in a freebie working alternator and a starter motor but they won't be pretty. They can be cleaned up and repainted, but in my eyes, they are pretty much core units. For that reason, I would highly recommend buying a new permanent-magnet starter motor such as this one (http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MES5401M&Store_Code=eBasicPower&search=inboard+starter&offset=0&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=%20%26srch_code%3D1%26srch_name%3D1%26s rch_pmkeywords%3D1%26srch_pmdescrip%3D1%26srch_mfg %3D1), and a new marine alternator.

I never actually dynoed it, but from what I remember, when the specs were run through Engine Analyzer v3.2, it comes out to somewhere around 370 HP with a 600 cfm carb, but I'll need to confirm that number by again running the engine specs through the program again. Once I do that, I will post the torque vs HP graph on this thread. When I built this engine, my main focus was on buiding it to run all day and have lots of torque under 5000 RPM at a certain price point. Clearly, you can build 383 small blocks with more HP, but doing that will move the torque/HP curve to a higher RPM range and the build cost would be higher as well, neither of which I wanted. That being said, however, you can easily turn this engine to above 5500 RPM if you would like.

Thank you for your inquiry.

MOP
08-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Forrest that is a real fair number on the HP with a 272 cam, it more then likely is a bit higher looking over the goodies!

Phil

realbold
08-22-2009, 08:30 AM
If you were closer I might be interested. No pics?

Forrest
08-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks Scott. I'm really hoping that whoever buys this engine goes ahead and at least purchases the heat exchanger and continues to run it in a full closed cooling configuration.

I've been out of town over the weekend, but now that I'm back I should be able to get a few pictures taken and posted by Monday night.

MOP
08-24-2009, 05:45 AM
Dang thing should be on its way to a new owner by now! Some just don't know a deal if it runs them over!

Forrest
08-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Pictures taken today . . .
Carb and flame arrestor shown attached does not go with this engine.

Donzi_Dude
08-25-2009, 07:52 PM
What is the HP of this engine?

im wondering how fast the boat ran with this engine.

Donzi_Dude
08-26-2009, 04:31 AM
Forrest's hung with mine, I run a consistent 72 - 73 GPS with the slow prop..

thanks!

Forrest
09-08-2009, 08:36 AM
. . . and remember, like in Scott's X-18, that's turning a big honkin' TRS drive through a MercTrans hydraulic transmission.

>>> No one has sent me a deposit yet and for that reason, this engine is still available.

Thanks Scott for the numbers and everyone for their interest.

Forrest
10-30-2009, 09:12 AM
I've been getting a few email and PMs asking if this engine is still available, and the answer is, yes, it is still available.

BUIZILLA
10-30-2009, 09:53 AM
what a smokin' good deal... :pimp:

HOWARD O
11-21-2009, 06:49 AM
I thought I'd throw this back up to the top for Forrest. It's such a deal. If I had the money, I'd be tempted to put it in my 22!

vlbob2
01-16-2010, 02:14 PM
What year was this engine built? Was it normally winterized when put away? Are the pictured exhaust manifolds included or is that the $1500 upgrade? I am currently rebuilding a 350 sbc by replacing heads w/ darts for a Donzi 18 classic w/ Alpha 1 and only 80 hrs and see the heads have been worked on previously :popcorn:and considering yours...

1234rob
01-19-2010, 03:57 PM
i have been looking for a 350 murc. for my 66 16' donzi. I am going form ford to GM. i have a alfa drive what will i meed for the motor to be complete? and can we work a little on the price? i am on a buget.
you can e-mail me at robbielumbra14@gmail.com
thanks rob

BlownCrewCab
01-22-2010, 10:18 AM
I rebuilt a 408 last year and spent more than that, it is a smokin deal..

donzi racer
01-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Speaking from experience, Forrest offers extremely fine quality and very affordable pricing. He does not inflate the price to come down later if it has not sold. he digs in for the long haul. I have dealt with him and it was great. I, like others would like to own this motor, with all the accesories, as I have the Donzi it came out of, but do not have a need right now. I will be sick later when I do need one and have to spend much more for much less. If you have a need, snatch it up and do not look back. You will be beyond tickled. Just my 2 cents, Tom

donzi racer
01-22-2010, 07:22 PM
You're right . . . no carb, wiring harness, alternator, or starter. I can throw in a freebie working alternator and a starter motor but they won't be pretty. They can be cleaned up and repainted, but in my eyes, they are pretty much core units. For that reason, I would highly recommend buying a new permanent-magnet starter motor such as this one (http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MES5401M&Store_Code=eBasicPower&search=inboard+starter&offset=0&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=%20%26srch_code%3D1%26srch_name%3D1%26s rch_pmkeywords%3D1%26srch_pmdescrip%3D1%26srch_mfg %3D1), and a new marine alternator.

I never actually dynoed it, but from what I remember, when the specs were run through Engine Analyzer v3.2, it comes out to somewhere around 370 HP with a 600 cfm carb, but I'll need to confirm that number by again running the engine specs through the program again. Once I do that, I will post the torque vs HP graph on this thread. When I built this engine, my main focus was on buiding it to run all day and have lots of torque under 5000 RPM at a certain price point. Clearly, you can build 383 small blocks with more HP, but doing that will move the torque/HP curve to a higher RPM range and the build cost would be higher as well, neither of which I wanted. That being said, however, you can easily turn this engine to above 5500 RPM if you would like.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Forrest, did you ever get a chance to run those #'s? Would be interested in seeing a graph of the Hp & torque curves. Thanks in advance, Tom

1234rob
01-23-2010, 06:27 PM
i wish i had the money. i can come up with about $ 2.000 but that motor looks like it needs $2.000 more to be complete. {to drop in the boat} i am starting with nothing. i have all ford parts...... would anybody like some smallblock ford parts........ i would love to buy that motor for my 66 16' donzi but not at that $$$ but i wish i had the cash!!
rob

1234rob
01-23-2010, 06:46 PM
maybe this can work? i can get a starter i have a 110 amp altenater and a hally 600cfm carb. i donot have exhaust manifolds and i like the manifolds. i think that make that motor so hot!! $2.250 motor + $1.500= $3.750 i can not come up with that much$$$.......+ shipping to NH +$4.000 and it will not be in the boat. $4.500 in the boat. i am going to haft to pass.......

Forrest
03-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Motor and closed cooling system has been SOLD.

The GIL exhaust system is still available as is the cast-aluminum MerCruiser 255 oil pan.