PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Corsican value

mphatc
08-20-2009, 08:07 PM
No, I'm not selling my boat . . . . sorry :wink:

I am trying to buy a Corsican that hasn't seen water in 20 years, spent a bunch of time in a field, and has been stored outside wrapped up . .

There is no interior, the 351 Ford is likely seized, the Volvo drive will need a complete restoration . . the ski locker covers are missing, the windshield is gone . . and it's a repaint that needs to be stripped to bare glass . .

so it will need EVERYTHING . from the fuel tank out! It is the real thing, not a Cobalt . . . .

In this slow market what is it worth???? . . . consider that it does have a solid hull.

Mario L.

1968 Magnum 27
1969 Corsican

gcarter
08-20-2009, 08:29 PM
I agree w/Scott.

MOP
08-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Old boats when mended cost more then new when ended! Is you plate not full enough?

Lenny
08-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Mario, that project would scare me. As a purchase to wrap and store for someone else and make 1-2 in the distant future maybe, but for you to pump 50 into it and have a 20K boat doesn't make sense to me...

penbroke
08-20-2009, 09:49 PM
You know what it's going to cost to resto it, a grand at most for the hull IMO... On a trailer if they have one :)

Sad, but true...

Frank

mphatc
08-22-2009, 08:21 AM
I think you are all wrong and low here . ..

Here's why . . .
The Corsican has a foam deck, this one is solid, so there's no recoring required.

Rarity . . . it's one of 54-56 built . . .
it does have the original VIN tag, so it is authentic

The deck and hull are solid, the transom, will be replaced.
Stringers are solid, the boat has been kept dry.

Having rebuilt one . . the second one will be much quicker and easier. I will not build another "Hot Rod" Corsican . . . my plan uses a complete Mercruiser Alpha set up from a recent boat, replace the tank, wiring harness, and while it's apart repaint with Imron

I've found a solid plug in and play 350 Mercruiser & Alpha drive set up $3K
fuel tank $500
Imron $1000
Gauges $500
Chrome plating $800
New hatches for ski lockers $1000
Windsheild, I build those and have the lexan
$2k for upholstery
Wiring $250
fiberglass $500.00
misc hardware $500.00
Taco rubrail $200.00

A new 18' Classic costs how much . . MSRP?
A couple Corsican's have sold for some serious monies . . .I won't state the prices here, but they have exceeded any other old 18' Donzi that I know of

So now where you guys really at?

Mario

Mr X
08-22-2009, 08:31 AM
I think you are all wrong and low here . ..
Here's why . . .
The Corsican has a foam deck, this one is solid, so there's no recoring required.
Rarity . . . it's one of 54-56 built . . .
it does have the original VIN tag, so it is authentic
The deck and hull are solid, the transom, will be replaced.
Stringers are solid, the boat has been kept dry.
Having rebuilt one . . the second one will be much quicker and easier. I will not build another "Hot Rod" Corsican . . . my plan uses a complete Mercruiser Alpha set up from a recent boat, replace the tank, wiring harness, and while it's apart repaint with Imron
I've found a solid plug in and play 350 Mercruiser & Alpha drive set up $3K
fuel tank $500
Imron $1000
Gauges $500
Chrome plating $800
New hatches for ski lockers $1000
Windsheild, I build those and have the lexan
$2k for upholstery
Wiring $250
fiberglass $500.00
misc hardware $500.00
Taco rubrail $200.00
A new 18' Classic costs how much . . MSRP?
A couple Corsican's have sold for some serious monies . . .I won't state the prices here, but they have exceeded any other old 18' Donzi that I know of
So now where you guys really at?
Mario
Not to be rude, but I think your being very optimistic with your numbers...
and what about labor and other materials?

rustnrot
08-22-2009, 08:43 AM
I'd go two grand, maybe more, for the hull since, unlike the Cobalt GT500 I've been working on, the Corsican won't have a rotten balsa core bottom to remove!

I always look at it this way. When all is said and done, does it really matter if you have $22,000 in it or $21,000 in it. It's not the original cost of the hull. So what if you pay 100% or 200% more than you "should" in the beginning. It all translates to only a 5 or 10% difference in the end.

BERTRAM BOY
08-22-2009, 08:58 AM
I somewhat agree with Ted here. I think your prices are a bit low...and what about stringers and 'glass work? If it's been sitting in a field for 20 years, is it possible the stringers are perfect?
I was going to say $1500.

BUIZILLA
08-22-2009, 09:11 AM
double your estimates....

olredalert
08-22-2009, 09:54 AM
------I dont know about doubling your estimates, Mario, but I believe I would add $3000 for misc. just to be sure. Paint materials can cost a fortune anymore. Please, dont ask me how I know this. Its too painful!!! :bonk:........Mr.Bill

WA-LO
08-22-2009, 02:07 PM
I have a v-drive corsican that I have atleast 20,000 K in without the 427
thats going in it heres a smaall list.

1. new gel: 5,000
2. new tank 750.00
3. new winshiels 300.00
4. new built rite in 2000.00
5. plating and misc. 1000.00
6. Borgwarner c72 rebuild 700.00
7. new casale vdrive 3000.00
8. Wireing/gauges/misc. 1000.00
9. Rub rail: 600.00
10. Original cost 8500.00 ouch!
heads Add 18000.00

gcarter
08-22-2009, 02:27 PM
What can you say Mario?
If ya wanna do it, well then, do it!:wink:

But what's the point? You've already done one of those...why not something else?

Did you notice my TR is listed????????
And it's ready to rig!

Just kidding.:wink:

But I'd seriously consider a different model. I know where there's an F-22 that was available. As I understand it, there're only 9 of those built.

BUIZILLA
08-22-2009, 02:31 PM
F22?

oh, really...

mphatc
08-23-2009, 02:23 PM
This boat is something my son wants, and mine is not his . . . :boggled:
I'm totally capable of breaking my own stuff . . .:yes::eek:

fwiw, this is the boat I hauled back from NY 5 years ago, flipped it to a friend who hasn't done a thing with it, and likely won't. He has a price in mind . . . more than what I flipped it to him for .. . :mad: . . . It sits ona galvanized trailer, I've crawled through the whole boat, and the stringers are solid.

Short of the upholstery I buy everything wholesale, labor is on my son and I, and all the prices are confirmed. paint workl get done in my own body shop, a case of nice beer for my painter after hours with my son . . . . Certainly there's more in misc. stuff, there always is . . and I only saw this project as a possibility given the purchase of a donor drive and engine in operating turn key condition.

and yes George I have already done one . . and I have my Magnum project and no need for another power boat!!!!!! certainly not a project!

We'll see how this plays out, I'll post an update after negotiations with the seller . .

Thank you for the input, I admit expected a value much higher for the hull! \
This info is good.

Mario . . back to work on the Magnum!

scippy
08-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Mario,
Since you mentioned the magnum project, could you share some
pics of the V windshield you fabbed. If you remember, I was interested
in one for my 27 sport.

BUIZILLA
08-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Mario, a project like this down with your son has ZERO monetary downside..

it's only money, and you can make more next week..

olredalert
08-23-2009, 05:09 PM
------Father and son Corsicans at the dock,,,,,Oh yah!!! :cool: :cool!: :cool: :shades:.......Mr.Bill

mphatc
08-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Scippy,

just what we were working on today . . . did a mock up, and calculated the angles of the main front piece . . making it 12" high . . which matches the taper from the rear air inlets to the front.
The slope as built by Magnum, and the slope of thew front fiberglass portion of the Vee is 45 degrees . .

hope to cut this week and bend the front piece. sides will be separate pieces.

Mario

mphatc
08-23-2009, 07:17 PM
http://marinesource.com/boat-sales/2000-23-Donzi-23-ZF-CENTER-CONSOLE-Lindenhurst-NY-100416437.cfm

http://marinesource.com/boat-sales/1988-23-Donzi-F-23-Detroit-MI-10840075.cfm

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/6640

I think the 3rd listing is what you want Poodle . . . :nilly:

Mario :wink:

Lenny
08-23-2009, 09:03 PM
The only F-22 I know about other than Rodgers (turbo'd one) is in California, white and black and sold for 9K about 7 years ago. :(

gcarter
08-23-2009, 09:05 PM
The only F-22 I know about other than Rodgers (turbo'd one) is in California, white and black and sold for 9K about 7 years ago. :(
There was another.....:cool!:

BUIZILLA
08-23-2009, 09:05 PM
there's another one...

Just Say N20
08-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Luke, you have a sister. . . .

scippy
08-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Scippy,

just what we were working on today . . . did a mock up, and calculated the angles of the main front piece . . making it 12" high . . which matches the taper from the rear air inlets to the front.
The slope as built by Magnum, and the slope of thew front fiberglass portion of the Vee is 45 degrees . .

hope to cut this week and bend the front piece. sides will be separate pieces.

Mario

I'd be very interested to see it when your done- Will it be smoke black like the bannana? - Them are some crazy angles to replicate - Good luck.

Phil S
08-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Hi Scippy....

A little off the subject, but I noticed your avatar of the fireman raising the American flag in the aftermath of 9/11. I read somewhere that the flag those men raised was off of a large boat, that my old boss from Lexington, KY, a Mr. Dudley Webb, used to own, and that the flag they raised was actually made in Jamestown, KY....home to Jamestown Marina on Lake Cumberland, KY. I'll see if I can find the link to the story about that flag and post it up.

With kind regards,
Phil S.

scippy
08-25-2009, 05:29 AM
Hi Scippy....

A little off the subject, but I noticed your avatar of the fireman raising the American flag in the aftermath of 9/11. I read somewhere that the flag those men raised was off of a large boat, that my old boss from Lexington, KY, a Mr. Dudley Webb, used to own, and that the flag they raised was actually made in Jamestown, KY....home to Jamestown Marina on Lake Cumberland, KY. I'll see if I can find the link to the story about that flag and post it up.

With kind regards,
Phil S.
Phil, That very flag was comandeered off a private yatch that was docked
at the boat basin near the winter garden directly across the street from ground zero. Danny McWilliams from Lad.157 (center) and George johnson L.157 (looking up) are from our double firehouse in Brooklyn - ENG. 255 &
LAD.157 is on Rogers ave. & Faragut rd. the 3rd is a rescue fireman from the Bronx. Danny and George had the great idea to take the mast with flag and spike it high amist of all the destruction high on a pile., but to there surprise, a perfectly longer and stronger mast was already anchored in the rubble slightly twisted but with good halyard lines to raise the flag
to it's final glory. A remarkable and candid picture was snapped up by the
Record (bergen county N.J.) The 3 fireman raising the flag at groung zero
would later become symbols of American nationalism and pride. they would be hounded by all media, guests appearance on Opray, they turned down
they turned down Larry King, They met the Presdent of the USA and had a stamp to commemorate thier actions. there's even a wax figure of then raising the flag at madame tussos They never benefited directly from any book sales or interviews or photo shoots, they made a pact to never benefit from such publicity, but direct all proceeds to the charity of orphaned children of our dead fireman and police - I'm proud to have been there with them and to have serve with them in the FDNY....Scippy

Tony
08-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Phil, That very flag was comandeered off a private yatch that was docked
at the boat basin near the winter garden directly across the street from ground zero. Danny McWilliams from Lad.157 (center) and George johnson L.157 (looking up) are from our double firehouse in Brooklyn - ENG. 255 &
LAD.157 is on Rogers ave. & Faragut rd. the 3rd is a rescue fireman from the Bronx. Danny and George had the great idea to take the mast with flag and spike it high amist of all the destruction high on a pile., but to there surprise, a perfectly longer and stronger mast was already anchored in the rubble slightly twisted but with good halyard lines to raise the flag
to it's final glory. A remarkable and candid picture was snapped up by the
Record (bergen county N.J.) The 3 fireman raising the flag at groung zero
would later become symbols of American nationalism and pride. they would be hounded by all media, guests appearance on Opray, they turned down
they turned down Larry King, They met the Presdent of the USA and had a stamp to commemorate thier actions. there's even a wax figure of then raising the flag at madame tussos They never benefited directly from any book sales or interviews or photo shoots, they made a pact to never benefit from such publicity, but direct all proceeds to the charity of orphaned children of our dead fireman and police - I'm proud to have been there with them and to have serve with them in the FDNY....Scippy

Way cool. Thanks for sharing the story, and for your commitment to the profession.
I know it's kind of hokey, but one of my favorite TV shows is Rescue Me. Pretty funny how the guys in the house bust on each other, plus I think Dennis Leary is a good actor.

:beer:

ChristopherL
08-28-2009, 12:42 PM
...as Mario's son, I guess I should chime in here. :shades:

I've been reading this thread, among others, and figured it was about time I stepped out of the shadows.

Dad (Mario) has made it crystal clear that the only way I'll get the keys to his Corsican is.... well there isn't a way! :wink: So, if I can't abscond with his, I might as well build my own!

I am interested in this project. I do not have any false impressions or hopes though. Having watched the efforts/labor/resources and most of all time that went into my fathers Corsican, I certainly would not expect this project to be completed quickly. The boat we are considering is in need of far more than Mario's.

I'd expect this to be a project of at least 2+ years in order to complete the boat. While the temptation to learn and expound upon Dad's Corsican build knowledge to create a faster version is strong, the ultimate goal and desire for this project would be 100% turn key reliability. Sacrificing top end speed for that goal is a concession I would be more than happy to make.

We'll see how things progress, and keep you all updated! :crossfing:
Until then, I'll have to keep on helping him with the Magnum to keep myself entertained with marine projects.

Kind Regards,
-Chris

olredalert
08-28-2009, 05:58 PM
-----Chris,,,Glad to see you on-board. If I were you, Id get this old war-horse useable first as that should not break the bank completely. It doesnt have to be anywhere close to perfect the first time around the lake. Then get to know the boat like your Dad has gotten to know my old boat (intimatly). Then go forward from there knowing that you have a real seat-time knowledge base to expand from. You have nothing but time so enjoy the trip. I bet even when your Dad was cursing he was enjoying every minute.........Mr.Bill