PDA

View Full Version : 86 minx starting problem

margo
08-20-2009, 05:38 PM
350 crate engine with 15 hrs. Ran fine up till now, all of a sudden it starts and runs only with the key held on start. As soon as the key is released it stalls..Replaced the ignition switch,and it ran for a while,then acted up again.Any suggestions are appreciated...Thanks Joe

G-MAN
08-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Had the same problem with our ski boat, problem was the kill switch.

mrfixxall
08-20-2009, 07:40 PM
350 crate engine with 15 hrs. Ran fine up till now, all of a sudden it starts and runs only with the key held on start. As soon as the key is released it stalls..Replaced the ignition switch,and it ran for a while,then acted up again.Any suggestions are appreciated...Thanks Joe

ignition module or power to the coil,whyle starting the boat theirs 2 terminals on the starter,one is arked s for start and the other is marke i for ignition,when you start the engine te starter solenoid feed power to the ignition coil wich is whyit runs then when you let go of the key it dies...check the main power plug going th the main harnessto the engine and spread all the bullets that go th the wires.

MOP
08-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Also check the ground wire under the bottom of the distributor from the pack, you have a break in the run circuit finding it can be Frustrating!!!

margo
08-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks everyone will check it out...Joe

Pismo
08-21-2009, 02:28 PM
I agree, 2 separate circuits, one for coil start, one for coil running. Is the run mode still lower voltage in an 86? You can cheat and get home by hotwiring the coil straight to a 12v source. Yikes! I used to have my + coil attached to my stern light positive. When it did not start, I would turn on the stern light and it got me home until I found the true problem....which was the starter top solenoid.

margo
08-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks Prismo, what is the easiest way to check out the selinoid? Tried the other sugestions with no luck..Right now there is no power to the coil or the electric choke...Joe

MOP
08-24-2009, 06:06 AM
Thanks Prismo, what is the easiest way to check out the selinoid? Tried the other sugestions with no luck..Right now there is no power to the coil or the electric choke...Joe

Margo if you have no power to that circuit with the key on, check the key switch make sure you have good juice coming in and off the purple going out. Next take the main harness apart, look at the prongs in the plug they have tiny slits. Use a thin bladed knife and carefully open the slits up a hair, that will ensure decent contact within the female side. Pretty sure you checked the kill switch by now, if not do so or jump it out of the circuit. If all that does not show something it could very well be a bad spot in the harness its self! If that is the case to save the work and dollars of a new harness do the following. Buy a Chrysler resister(the white ceramic one) and a roll of #14 wire, go from the key to the engine bay with the wire(a little snaking required) find a spot near the coil to mount the resistor and attach the wire to it then make a short jumper to the coils positive terminal, that will give you a nice clean circuit to the coil. It is not the solenoid if it starts when activated then dies when when you release the key!

Phil

Do you still have my number if so call if you need any more.

margo
08-24-2009, 07:46 PM
You guys are great..Mop and mr.fixall hit it on the head...Took the main harness apart, spread the bullits and cleaned them up, cleaned out the female holes with torch tip cleaner wires...Hooked it back up, turned on the ignition, tested the coil, hooray got juice...Crossed my fingers,started it up runs better than ever...Now i just hope that that was the problem...Being that it was unpredictable before it makes sense that there was at times a loss in juice to the coil from a dirty or bad connection...Thanks so much, will test it on the lake this weekend..Joe

MOP
08-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Kind of makes you think about an emergency circuit with a hidden switch for times like this!

margo
08-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Kind of makes you think about an emergency circuit with a hidden switch for times like this!
You,r right Mop iv,e been thinking of installing one It.s imbarrasing haveing to be towed in by a Bayliner Joe

kcatucci
08-26-2009, 12:14 PM
You,r right Mop iv,e been thinking of installing one It.s imbarrasing haveing to be towed in by a Bayliner Joe

Look at the bright side. Great fuel economy! :)