PDA

View Full Version : '69 16 ignition

chip w
08-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Time to change the iginition from point to electronic on the 302 H/M. Any suggestions on what type to put in?

BlownCrewCab
08-20-2009, 02:17 PM
I like the whole mallory distributer, but be sure to do Magnetic and NOT Photo. Magnetic almost never fails whereas Photo if you Fart next to the engine your photo eye can be ruined ......

chip w
08-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks. I was thinking Mallory but wanted to hear what others have used. I assume they make a marine coil too? Besides a more reliable spark and not having to futz with points anymore, what kind of performance gains do you think I'll pick up?

Rootsy
08-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks. I was thinking Mallory but wanted to hear what others have used. I assume they make a marine coil too? Besides a more reliable spark and not having to futz with points anymore, what kind of performance gains do you think I'll pick up?

Does it have a mallory in it now? If so you can just purchase the unilite conversion to go in there.. or there is always pentronix also... Use the pentronix on all of my antique tractor stuff and haven't had an issue with a single one...

MOP
08-20-2009, 02:55 PM
You should get quicker starting, smoother low end also plugs will stay cleaner as you can open the gap a bit. IMO in a boat we do not turn the RPM's to take full advantage of good ignition!

Phil

chip w
08-20-2009, 03:15 PM
The label on the distributor is pretty faded, but it looks like it once said "AZITHU/DIST" in yellow ink.

Smoother starts would be a big plus. Once it's been run and then shut off, when I start it again it runs pretty rough until I can get on plain and get the temp back down. Running temp is usually around 160 to 170 degrees. It will go up to around 220 after it's shut off and there's no water pumping through it.

It also is a bit cold blooded when I first start it when it's cold. My thinking is that a stronger spark would help a lot of these issues.

Rootsy
08-21-2009, 07:44 AM
The label on the distributor is pretty faded, but it looks like it once said "AZITHU/DIST" in yellow ink.

Smoother starts would be a big plus. Once it's been run and then shut off, when I start it again it runs pretty rough until I can get on plain and get the temp back down. Running temp is usually around 160 to 170 degrees. It will go up to around 220 after it's shut off and there's no water pumping through it.

It also is a bit cold blooded when I first start it when it's cold. My thinking is that a stronger spark would help a lot of these issues.

Highly HIGHLY doubt swapping electronics is going to fix that issue...

chip w
08-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Probably not, but it's due for plugs, wires, cap rotor, etc. and rather than change the points again I figure I'll make the electronic swap. Found the PerTronix for $80 but they won't have it until Monday.

Don't get me wrong, overall it runs very well. The water running through the cooling system is over 90 degrees. I know that shouldn't make a big difference. I had the engine "deslugged" a couple of years ago and it shouldn't have sucked anything up since then. The pickup is on the bottom of the hull and has the stainless screen (or whatever you want to call it) over it. When I hit it hard it just stutters a little, if I ease in to it everything is OK. After I've run it for a minute or two I can stop and hit it WOT with no problem. I'm pretty sure it's the heat build up when it's sitting still. Or I could be an idiot. :boggled: That's happened before too!

MOP
08-21-2009, 01:28 PM
It is normal to see the temp gauge go up when you throttle back or shut down and turn the key back on! I have had many customers come back complaining of brand new engines having an over heating issue, most were Ok with an explanation. Some I would have to take for a ride to demo what happens! As long as the temp remains within normal range when running don't worry about it.

Phil

chip w
08-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks MOP, that's been kind of my feeling. I've had the boat for 5 years now and that hasn't been a real problem. Like I said, it runs great once I'm moving and it pumps plenty of water. I change the impeller every spring and keep up with the regular maintenance. I like to do as much work on it myself as I'm able to. Other than having hams instead of hands :rolleyes:I can get through most of these things with a little guidance frm the board, which has been very helpful over the years.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll let you know how it runs after the ignition and tune up. Next item will be to get a prop from Griz. :) Had hoped to do that by know but business has to come first and it hasn't been a stellar year.

BigGrizzly
08-23-2009, 08:47 AM
I have used them all and in your case I would go with Rootsey on this.