PDA

View Full Version : Few 16 questions

MSK
08-19-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm new here so I hope this is the correct spot to ask a few questions...

I see a lot of Red and Yellow stripe 16's, seen blue, coral etc. the one that caught my eye was a Black stripe, black piping. Did this come from the factory as Black or is that a custom job? What years in the 90's were these boats produced? what were the motor options? Any particular problems with any years or motor/outdrives? Also,the late 60's with the H-M and the volvo, anything to stay away from there? Thanks for any help. Mark

Just Say N20
08-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Welcome.

I'm sure Matty will jump in with very specific answers, but generally the 16C was not made during the 80s. I believe the black trim was a factory option once they started making the 16 (original 16s were Ski-sporters, and 1990> 16s were Sweet Sixteens) again in the 90s.

The problem with the earlier 16s, actually any of the early boats, isn't so much the engine/drive, as it is most likely that the wood in the stringers/transom is rotten and will need to be replaced. It is also likely the coring between the layers of fiberglass in the L-lounge is rotted/gone, and the seat will need to be rebuilt. If the deck had coring, it will likely need to be redone too. My 1967 does NOT have deck coring, so that is one part of the project I don't have to redo. And then there is the infamous "gas tank replacement" project which will most likely need to be done, unless someone else has already done it.

This could give you a "taste" of what to expect if you purchase an un-restored early 16 Classic. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58186

MSK
08-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Just Say...

Thanks. I did check that reading out earlier. I decided I don't want to get into anything close to a top off restoration. Is the tank issue that they were metal and rusted? I also read about the pvc supports vs. wood core. From what I understand, the wood rotted and leaves a soft area? No wood core means there was nothing to rot? If I was to come across a vintage 16, what are the basic steps and checks to figure out condition and what it would take as far as $$$$ and work?

What would be the key issues to look at w/ with 90's 16's? Is sandwiching an issue on these as well??

This is a Great site by the way....

Thanks again, Mark

Just Say N20
08-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Fuel tanks; they were foamed in place. The foam eventually (or immediately, I don't know) held water, which over the years caused corrosion which ate away at the tank, eventually causing small pinholes for the fuel to leak out. Not good.

I know of one person who replaced his tank WITHOUT taking the deck off, but this seems like a very hard way to do it.

Deck coring; you are correct. The coring (picture it as the meat in a sandwich) is gone, leaving the unsupported fiberglass able to flex too much. My deck has 1.25" PVC pipe on the underside of the deck, going from side to side. It is glassed in place to provide support for the deck. Nothing to rot.

On an older, unrestored 16, I think it would be safe to assume you will have to do all the things mentioned, unless you find a very well cared for, protected from the elements boat.

Boats from the 90s are simply not really old enough, unless terribly neglected, to have developed these problems. Will they? I don't know. I don't have any personal experience with them, so maybe the manufacturing techniques have improved, so these things won't be a problem. gcarter can perhaps shed some light on the build quality of the "2nd generation" 16s.

Schnoogie
08-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Ok, Still trying to resolve a feaw things.
1968 ski sporter, original aluminum tank YES. Definitly has not been repalced. (stored for 23 years inside)
Meet someone the other day and told a story about a few being used in Texas on LBJ ranch, whatever, and a lot of the discrepencies have seem to have been answered.
Was this a line of %^%(^( or has anyone everheard about this?

mattyboy
08-19-2009, 08:36 PM
msk, schnoogie

drop me a line mnmveth@optonline.net or call me 201-315-9662
I can fill you in

sick of grammar, punctuation,and all the friggin english teachers, and schoolin all the lurkers with ulterior motives !

Matty
Lake George Donzi Classic Club

MOP
08-19-2009, 08:42 PM
I think they were still using "Turn Steel" tanks back then not 100% on that!

mattyboy
08-19-2009, 10:14 PM
msk,schnoogie,

please don't read anything into my poost you guys have done nothing wrong. you have just gotten swept up in some of the BS that goes on here from time to time.

it is easier for me to talk to you guys on the phone then try and type correctly to recap info that has already been posted here

I work with the lake george donzi classic club and can and will help you in anyway

mnmveth@optonline.net

mattyboy
08-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Mark called and in a 30 minute conversation I pretty much recapped the 16 for him, this is not new info it is all here and it would have taken me 45 minutes to search all the threads then link them. The board was not short changed the info is here.

Schnoogie

yes at least one 16 and one 427 v drive side oiler 18 barrelback were used in the SS LBJ detail. there could have been more a search here on LBJ should produce it or also go to the glastron sight there is info there as well.

yes a 68 should have a steel(turn) tank foamed in, a search on fuel tanks will give you a few different methods and tank mfgr's

MSK
08-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Mattyboy Thanks!

I had been searching the board for info and thought I understood it but it was nice to get the "full recap" from you and confirm what I thought I read in pieces on the board. Mark