PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist and other ads

Tidbart
08-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Just an observation, and an opinion, I guess....

Maybe some don't realize or don't care that every "ad" from other sites doesn't necessarily need to be posted here on this site.

Yes, they may be Donzis and they may be for sale but, those ads are pushing legit ads from members and supporters of this website to the bottom and on to other pages. I think member ads should take priority and they shouldn't have go to their ad every few days to type in "TTT" to keep it active and noticed.

I mean, it is a nice gesture but everyone who makes it to this site can easily go to Boattrader or Ebay and type 'Donzi' in a search, or go to Google and type in 'Donzi 22ZX site:craigslist.org' and get every 22zx from every C-list site available. If they aren't bright enough to do this, should they be driving a boat??

Maybe what I am saying is, think before you post.

Hey, I may be way off base, so if you disagree, say so and I will get rid of this post. I am just in one of those moods after some yahoo almost killed me this morning.:yes::eek: Women drivers.:kingme:

Anonymous:)

HOWARD O
08-19-2009, 09:56 AM
I've been guilty of posting ads of Donzis myself. But I see your point and agree with you. By the same token, if I see a great deal on a nice Donzi and wanted to alert our friends here, there should be an alternative way. I agree with your post though, it does detract from a member's legitimate buy or sell ad. :yes:

mattyboy
08-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Tidbart

I am with ya a 110% :yes:

think we are in the minority here

ghiafreak62
08-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Sorry I'm a newbie here but I have found it a lot of help when people post cl and other adds here, I am a large boat hauler and don't mind jumping in the truck and driving 1000-1500 miles to get a deal.

Tidbart
08-19-2009, 10:05 AM
I am out of league here as far as board admin, but a "Non-member/Third Party Donzis for Sale" ???

Just a thought...

burgettw
08-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Yea...I appoligize for trying to help other members out

mattyboy
08-19-2009, 10:41 AM

what members ??? the one looking for a donzi or the ones trying to sell their donzi, or the non members who get free press here??

seems the only members being helped are the one's too lazy to search other sites on their own???

Carl C
08-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Tidbart, that makes a lot of sense.:yes:

Tidbart
08-19-2009, 10:51 AM

Don't me wrong. I am not trying to single anyone out. It is and always has been a 'policy', for lack of a better word, to help out others here.

I am just saying we are hurting our own, per se, and I am suggesting we might change things a little so that doesn't occur as much.

Bob

Ghost
08-19-2009, 10:59 AM
I am out of league here as far as board admin, but a "Non-member/Third Party Donzis for Sale" ???

Just a thought...

This seemed sensible to me. I think it is interesting, and good data/history, to be able to see the listings people find all over the place. And I've noticed this even though I've been way out of the market for a couple years.

My general sense is that there is a big difference in the quality of information about boats put up for sale by members, who usually seem like they are just trying to make reasonable transactions and disclose things candidly. And where we may have known the details of the boat here for a long time anyhow, performance, work done, issues, etc.

Outside ads strike me as more of a mix of reasonable folks with everything else, including folks trying to wheel and deal for a quick buck, or even completely mislead the buyer. I can't say I've noticed that among the members, where if someone is trying to sell something for much more than he paid, he probably has 10 times the price difference in labor and material costs from a restoration going unrecouped. I'd probably be a lot more comfortable buying from a member here for those reasons, and that translates to real value.

FWIW.

mattyboy
08-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Tidbart

well put

by posting a (NOT MINE ) ad it "MIGHT " help a member who is looking for a boat but it "DEFINETLY" hurts a member who is selling his boat by driving his add lower and lower

Donziweasel
08-19-2009, 11:33 AM
If you start another section, people, members, non-members, guests, etc....will still be able to access it. As for member boats that get pushed lower, "bump" it. Some of these members join and make one post, to sell thier boats. Are they really members of this community?

Some VERY cool and sought after boats have been found through the dilelgence of N20 and others. Hell, a Criterion just popped up, at a pretty reasonable price I might add.

This topic has been beat to death and just a month ago it came up again and the general concensus was to leave it as is.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58361

I am personally not in the market, but love seeing what has been found out there. Gives people market values, what to possibly price thier boat at if they are trying to sell, and gives us options other than just member boats.

I have also said before a Donzi is a Donzi and I love looking at them. It amazes me how many are for sale that are not part of this community and would get overlooked by members in the market if not found by some of the guys here.

Since this topic will not die, I guess we will all just have to agree to disagree.

mattyboy
08-19-2009, 11:38 AM
that critter has not just popped up board members have known about it and the owner for quite some time

ok bump it you got it

chappy
08-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Possibly a new moderator would help, to help Scot and Scott. I think it's fair to say that Owen won't be coming back to fulfill these duties, and that's cool.

I'm sure it's a job free of stress headaches.

How about Roadtrip?:kingme:

glashole
08-19-2009, 11:48 AM
I see this as a network of Donzi friends who have a handle on practically every donzi that they know about, where it is, who has it, what condition it is in, or if it is sold, what part of the country/world that it is going.

by posting these ads we are just keeping better track of what is going on

Shea

BUIZILLA
08-19-2009, 11:48 AM
I'll volunteer...

penbroke
08-19-2009, 12:00 PM
I see this as a network of Donzi friends who have a handle on practically every donzi that they know about, where it is, who has it, what condition it is in, or if it is sold, what part of the country/world that it is going.

by posting these ads we are just keeping better track of what is going on

Shea

What he said. Many of us learn something from these ads. Not all are in the circle with "those in the know." (I didn't say the "C" word):wink:

If someone looking to buy does not look beyond the first page of the listings than they are not serious buyers. Most of the members that have boats listed for sale are looking to find a good home for their boat. Not just to exchange it for cash.

Frank

HOWARD O
08-19-2009, 12:17 PM
I posted that Fino a while back and you can ask Bill if that "helped" him. Would he have found out about it otherwise? Probably, but who knows?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53352

Having said that, I'd love to see the outside ads not co-mingling with the member's ads. Also, to Mattyboy......I may disagree with you from time to time but I sure DO appreciate you trying to keep the forums "pure" and trying to keep the posts in their respective and proper forums. I think it's very important for the longevity of the board. :yes:

Just Say N20
08-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Now, I just need to find that damn note where Dusty told me how to do those Mac screen captures :) :)

:biggrin: I am here but to serve. . . .

Simultaneously push the <> <shift> <4> keys, and it will give you a bullseye cursor. Put that in a corner of what you want to copy and left click and HOLD IT, moving the cursor until the area you want to copy is covered then "un-click."

That will save the image to your desktop as Picture 1, Picture 2. . . .

Now, to the matter at hand..:cool:

I enjoy seeing what is out there for sale. I also like documenting as much as possible for historic reference. When I was looking for a boat to purchase, I looked through every ad in the DONZIS FOR SALE section, proving a point made above; that if someone is serious about buying a DONZI, they are going to spend some time looking.

As a result of that exercise, I decided to put DONZIs I came across in the FOR SALE section, and include as much information/pictures as available. It was frustrating when I came across an ad titled: (I'm making this up) Immaculate 18C for an unbelievable price!, only to open the ad and find only a link, that proved to be expired, so there was no information at all.

If someone is serious, they will take the time to look through the ads. I loved doing it; the anticipation of what I might find was great!

I would gladly post in a different section to honor the ads of site members. HOWEVER, I know that if I look at the DONZI FOR SALE section, and there isn't anything going on, I move on. New postings cause me to spend a LOT more time in that section. I would have to believe the same is true for new members. That gives member's ads a lot more traffic potential.

I know that it would have helped me greatly during my search to have a more complete DONZI SALE section.

As I stated before, because I sense I am one of the primary offenders/contributors in this situation, I will gladly abide by whatever direction (if any) is given. :yes:

Tidbart
08-19-2009, 01:31 PM
I made the suggestion of another section to accomplish two things:

1) Take care of the board members first. :yes: The people who contribute to the board either through posting, monetarily, or both should come first.

2) Place third party ads second. I meant no intention of getting rid of any information or the ads, just relocating them. Many times, as previously stated by Just Say, you open a link or look at an ad and it is gone. Craigslist links expire or are ended and Ebay listings last what, a week on average. These dead links or old links or just links to certain models no-one is really interested in:wink:, just serve to push back contributor's ads. Another thing, if is not your boat, are you going to back and update it as needed?? Most likely not.

A secondary issue is the newbie with one post, their boat for sale. I go on a truck site that won't let you sell anything until you contribute to 20 posts. :yes:

B

ghiafreak62
08-19-2009, 05:20 PM
what members ??? the one looking for a donzi or the ones trying to sell their donzi, or the non members who get free press here??

seems the only members being helped are the one's too lazy to search other sites on their own???

Well I hunt deals every day on my own, but I also read this section everyday also, I own a 22 C now but I'm looking for a older 22 also, and it's a good way to keep up on the market. Thanks Dan

Donzi Racer
08-19-2009, 06:11 PM
I made the suggestion of another section to accomplish two things:

1) Take care of the board members first. :yes: The people who contribute to the board either through posting, monetarily, or both should come first.

2) Place third party ads second. I meant no intention of getting rid of any information or the ads, just relocating them. Many times, as previously stated by Just Say, you open a link or look at an ad and it is gone. Craigslist links expire or are ended and Ebay listings last what, a week on average. These dead links or old links or just links to certain models no-one is really interested in:wink:, just serve to push back contributor's ads. Another thing, if is not your boat, are you going to back and update it as needed?? Most likely not.

A secondary issue is the newbie with one post, their boat for sale. I go on a truck site that won't let you sell anything until you contribute to 20 posts. :yes:

B

Believe it or not I read the whole thread before responding. I did not agree with Bob at all at the top of the thread. As someone that uses this section more than most, since I buy a lot off it, I would say to leave it alone, although for my purposes I can find a lot of the items that show up here before they are listed. By the way of all the post the one Shea posted was really great, but I do believe after seeing it all and thinking of the registry and not anyone in particular, (especially ME) I do get a warm & fuzzy feeling from buying anything from a Donzi Board Member. I would think that the ads from the members should be 1st and foremost, then the other boats on ebay, craigslist, or boat trader go in the section below. That would keep the Board member boats as a good resourse for learning and not having to go thru 10 ended ebay ads and 15 no longer listed craigslist ads to get to one members ad whether you want to buy or do research or just look through the oldies but goodies. Great points by everyone though. Just my 2c. Jasper

PS And let Jim oversee it, where it takes a little stress off Poodle, Hell I have already seen those ads by the time they go on here anyway.hahahahahahahahahahaha

NJFASTECH
08-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Guys I post what I find here only in hopes to help someone here find a particular Item or boat. It is an information highway If it is a private club than I personally appologize. I recently subscribed to a membership because I have given up my large boats and seen the light back to a simpilar more satisfying,nostalgic way of boating with a great group of people who really care about preserving the brand I hope to buy another soon. I did find somemore Z21's but I will refrain :confused:
Jim

Rob M
08-20-2009, 05:03 AM
Not sure what the final consensus is on whether to post or not to post decent finds here...

...that said, should I post the ad for a low priced Hornet that I found misclassified in a non-registry ad and that is unlikely to be found by anyone but a diligent searcher?

I already contacted the seller and told him to consider posting it on donzi.net