PDA

View Full Version : blue sutphen in town

Zinger
08-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Down the street from my house there is a brand new 21 blue sutphen on display, really sweet looking boat. I was talking with the rep and they ran this boat 83 mph with a stock 496. Does anyone know what a 22 classic with a stock 496 would do . The boat is about 600lbs. lighter than a 22 classic which I own and would not trade . But to have boat go 83 right out of the box is awesome. Any inputs on this boat. Peace

mphatc
08-18-2009, 07:34 PM
I suspect this is the same boat that ran with the Donzi's at the Winni Poker Run . . .

pretty yes . . .

bling factor . . high, IMO a bit tackier than a Shelby 22 . . which is what it seems to strive to copy.

I watched the boat on the lake . . we didn't have any rough water, very little wind waves, mostly boat chop . . to my eyes I saw a boat that didn't ride well or act well. Certainly not like a Donzi or any Aronow inspired design . . there was something not smooth about a boat of this size.

at the dock the vee looked to be very shallow, and the bow entry looked to be the same . . much like many Sutphen designs from earlier years . .

to me, a calm water boat . .

Mario L.

1969 Corsican
1968 Magnum 27

mattyboy
08-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Down the street from my house there is a brand new 21 blue sutphen on display, really sweet looking boat. I was talking with the rep and they ran this boat 83 mph with a stock 496. Does anyone know what a 22 classic with a stock 496 would do .

not 83 :yes:

DONZI
08-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Yes, Morgan had it at Winni., He's a great Guy !
It looked like it had handled Winni.'s water very well from my perspective.

It has the 496 HO and the Shelby w/496 HO runs pretty close to the same speed.

VetteLT193
08-18-2009, 08:14 PM
They don't have a 24 degree deadrise. As soon as I heard the speed claims at the Miami boat show I asked about the deadrise...

flatten the bottom and you can get more speed: that's easy. make it ride right...................... good luck.

mattyboy
08-18-2009, 08:32 PM

that is pretty good coming from a 22 guy and someone who is familiar with what does pearson call it lake F#@K 11

read this thread seems like a guy who knows what a big deep vee rides like seems to think it rides ok??

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/213684-new-21-sutphen.html

roadtrip se
08-18-2009, 09:16 PM
I rode with Morgan in one at AOTH this year. Rode pretty decent in choppy traffic slop and was quick. Fit and finish were there, no rattles and very little hull slap noise.

You sit down in it, almost to the floor. Nice alternative to a Donzi Classic, just as the Cigarette 20 is another.

Am I going to trade my 22 on one? No. But I hope they attend our rally again, as it was great to have them there and see them run.

mike o
08-19-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm with Ken..... I ran with it ( for about 20 seconds):yes:. Morgan probably could have smoked the whole field if he wanted to going (probably did) across the broads 3 times in a row on a rather ruff - sloppy - windy day out there . Nice guy, perfect gentleman during the poker run. Glad he made the event. It was a big hit. Ya got to come over here someday Matt. We will let ya wear the crown a bit.:kingme:. Great representation by that company. Shows what advanced composite materials will do for ya. P.S. Broads = wide, wide, wide, lake Matt.:yes:,:kingme:

Lenny
08-19-2009, 08:54 AM
The back half of the boat reminds me of a 25' Magnum from the day.

mattyboy
08-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Mike
yes some travel is now open with the empty nest. I think a need a weekend at the Bandits

the reference to lake F@$k was that winnie can get real snotty at times like lake george and if Kenny said it rode well I'll take that to the bank. I know the challenger 21 hulls ride extremely well in the rough stuff and are fast . this is a new hull design similar but not the same

second thing here I saw a blue shelby at atlantic city with pearson it was an early one rushed out for the show let me say when you look at a boat with him you will see stuff that no one else sees. I could not see anything but the flaws after that. we did the same inspection on the sutphen as far as fit and finish there are no flaws

mike o
08-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Matt, Please let extend a invitation to your in-indoctrination to Winni in a few weeks. Id like to move the winni event back a few week to correspond to this little contest:kingme:. Something ta do after a nice day on the lake. Lenny, :kingme:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Dpo8PE3TM any back sides....... good back sides:yes:

Lenny
08-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Mike, I gotta wonder what walking in "pumps" is like on a dock ramp with 1" spacing on the planks :eek: Wouldn't mind watching either :D

MR MAGOO
08-19-2009, 02:48 PM
The 21 Sutphen is a very impressive piece for sure. Having owned many Donzi Classics (including a new 22) over the years, I jumped at the chance to run the new Sutphen. It's an entirely different ride than a Donzi, the boat feels much bigger than it really is. As mentioned above, you sit very deep in the boat, very much like a 36 Cigarette Gladiator. The fit and finish was perfect, very well constructed.

The speeds mentioned are real, I ran the blue 496 boat myself to 83 on gps and not one did it feel out of shape. Last fall, Morgan from Sutphen brought up the small block version, how about 73 on gps from a bone stock 350 Mag powered 21!

If I had some extra $$$, I'd have one of these in the stable!

Kurt

mike o
08-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Mr. Magoo, I think I when by your place on the Songo when I was over your way for the poker run....:yes:

22DONZI
08-19-2009, 05:28 PM

It has the 496 HO and the Shelby w/496 HO runs pretty close to the same speed.

Why is Shelby with HO faster than standard 22 with HO? X dimension?

Lenny
08-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Why is Shelby with HO faster than standard 22 with HO? X dimension?

yes ...

MR MAGOO
08-20-2009, 06:13 AM
Mr. Magoo, I think I when by your place on the Songo when I was over your way for the poker run....:yes:

Yup, we're on the Songo just in from the mouth at Brandy Pond.

I heard this years Poker Run was a great time. We've never missed the Sebago run but unfortunately there was a date conflict as we had run the Lake Erie Detroit Thunder poker run that weekend.

mike o
08-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Yup, we're on the Songo just in from the mouth at Brandy Pond.

I heard this years Poker Run was a great time. We've never missed the Sebago run but unfortunately there was a date conflict as we had run the Lake Erie Detroit Thunder poker run that weekend. I had a great time exploring over your way. I didnt make the poker run on Sunday. I got up around 5:30 on sat to to make it over there on time to register and get in the water ect, only to find it pushed to sunday. So rode around and went to Mr. Dorr's engine shop ( nice guy, fun too) and the sun came out so about 3-4 big boys and myself put in. The big boys played with me for 1 mile.:yes: Then I got left in the dust:kingme: with the 16. Guess I need a motor from Dorr and a konrad:kingme::kingme: . Went up to long lake. I saw 2 other sutphens up there. The twin outboard + the I-O on the river. Its great to see 2 sutphens on a lake in Maine. Kinda interesting to have a following, (sorta) for a small boat company. My lake squam, is full of century resorters wood and glass, that came from Channel Marine on Winni. Just happened to find the annual party (#40th?) I think in the cove under the bridge on Sebago:kingme:........ Scot P, at the Winni rally, told me U have a place on the river.......... Fun Time.:yes:

mattyboy
09-15-2009, 10:05 AM
well i'll get to see the Small block sutphen in action today

I'll keep ya posted :)

mattyboy
09-16-2009, 11:18 AM
drove it yesterday , good boat great ride :yes: me likey :yes:

seano
09-16-2009, 11:29 AM

Kurt,

My buddy Chuck of Chuck's Fiberglass in Southold LI went by your place a couple of weeks ago on a gold 17 Whaler...he said you were uncovering the Gun when he rode by... i told him he shs\ould have stopped in and said hello...you guys would have gotten along famously... LOL

Sean

MR MAGOO
09-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Kurt,
My buddy Chuck of Chuck's Fiberglass in Southold LI went by your place a couple of weeks ago on a gold 17 Whaler...he said you were uncovering the Gun when he rode by... i told him he shs\ould have stopped in and said hello...you guys would have gotten along famously... LOL
Sean
That's too bad he did not stop, Love you LongIslanders! :kingme:
We are talking about having a Donzi/Cig 20 run up here next summer. I'll keep you posted.
Kurt

CMC319
09-16-2009, 09:01 PM
drove it yesterday , good boat great ride :yes: me likey :yes:

How have you been Matt ? I thought we would get a longer review from you !

Greg Guimond
09-17-2009, 05:33 AM
Yeah Matty, how about the compare and contrast ?

mattyboy
09-17-2009, 09:32 AM
http://www.speedwake.com/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62314

CMC319
09-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks Matt, I didn't know it was there.