PDA

View Full Version : Pending Donzi/Berkeley Jet Drive Build-up

silverghost
08-18-2009, 07:03 PM
How hard would it be to install a Berkeley Jet drive into a wreck of a 18 Classic ? I have always wanted a Donzi-Jet since my uncle sold his x-18 in the late 70s. His had a 455 Olds with the Berkeley jet!
I have the opportunity to buy a Very very rough engineless 18 "Clsssic".
Never EVER would I consider doing this project with a perfectly good "Vintage Donzi Classic"~ But the proposed project boat is possibly one step from the chainsaw & burn pile!
What "Mods" must be done to install the jet pump in the aft bottom of the boat for the big jet-pump water intake area ?
How about Mods to the transom ?
I am going to have to replace & rebuild the rotten wood transom & stringers; so this is a great time to install the Berkeley drive unit.
Is it easily do-able?
Instead of a Big Block Olds or Chevy~ I plan to use a Small Block Chevy as this seems to be more reasonable.
I know some may think this an insane idea~ But I really want a Jet Donzi and this may be my only way of getting one!
What does this group think of this idea?
Anyone here ever install a Berkeley Jet Drive in ANY boat?
I know such a project could easily become a "Black Hole" that sucks-in tons of cash & my valuable time~
But it's also a Labor of Love
& a way to recpture the Donzi/ Berkeley waterjet fun of my 70s youth !
Call it my "Midlife Crisis "!
Thank's for your ideas & opiions !
Brad Hunter
silverghost1926@msn.com
215 947 4676 (Pa Home)
609 399 4494 (NJ Shore )
215 479 6667 (Cellphone)

mrfixxall
08-18-2009, 08:53 PM
How hard would it be to install a Berkeley Jet drive into a wreck of a 16 Classic ? I have always wanted a Donzi-Jet since my uncle sold his in the late 70s. His had a 455 Olds with the Berkeley jet!
I have the opportunity to buy a Very very rough engineless 16 "Clsssic".
Never EVER would I consider doing this project with a perfectly good "Vintage Donzi Classic"~ But the proposed project boat is possibly one step from the chainsaw & burn pile!
What "Mods" must be done to install the jet pump in the aft bottom of the boat for the big jet-pump water intake area ?
How Mods to the transom ?
I am going to have to replace & rebuild the rotten wood transom & stringers; so this is a great time to install the Berkeley drive unit.
Is it easily do-able?
Instead of a Big Block Olds or Chevy~ I plan to use a Small Block Chevy as this seems to be more reasonable.
I know some may think this an insane idea~ But I really want a Jet Donzi and this may be my only way of getting one!
What does this group think of this idea?
Anyone here ever install a Berkeley Jet Drive in ANY boat?
I know such a project could easily become a "Black Hole" that sucks-in tons of cash & my valuable time~
But it's also a Labor of Love
& a way to recpture the Donzi/ Berkeley waterjet fun of my 70s youth !
Call it my "Midlife Crisis "!
Thank's for your ideas & opiions !
Brad Hunter
silverghost1926@msn.com
215 947 4676 (Pa Home)
609 399 4494 (NJ Shore )
215 479 6667 (Cellphone)

i would think it could work if you have enough room to move the engine forward enough.. try to find a wrecked yamaha twin jet 4 stroker and i bet you would put that 16 into the high 70"s..

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cojop.com/images/img_0443.jpg&imgrefurl=http://cojop.com/Specifications.html&usg=__DQFt21AaacOOCNQ2RKj8tiF0Q1w=&h=480&w=640&sz=93&hl=en&start=16&um=1&tbnid=H0oZOtf2Jt32WM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dyamaha%2Bjet%2Bdrive%26ndsp%3D20%26hl %3Den%26rlz%3D1T4ADBF_enUS331US333%26sa%3DN%26um%3 D1

or a berkly and a procharged 4.3

axelkloehn
08-19-2009, 01:30 AM
How Mods to the transom ?
Is it easily do-able?

You don't need a reinforced wooden transom cause the jet does not transfer any torque to it.
Cut the rotten wood off, clean the surface with some layers of fibreglass/epoxy and that's the transom job.
And it's a big cutout for the jet in the transom AND bottom of the hull for the water pickup- if you will ever go back to a sterndrive it's A LOT OF work...

yeller
08-19-2009, 02:37 AM
You don't need a reinforced wooden transom cause the jet does not transfer any torque to it. That is correct.

I'd say seeing as you have to restore the boat anyways, putting a jet in it wouldn't be too hard. You'll need to reglass the existing transom cutout because the cutout for the jet will be much lower. Berkeley has a template for installing the drive. It's fairly straight forward. You can fit a V8 in there no problem. When done, you'll have better access than a conventional 16C V8 because the engine sits about a foot lower with the jet. Height wise, the tops of the valve covers will only be a couple inches above the base of the rear seat.

In mine, I used the Berkeley with the access hole 'inside' the boat. This pushed the SBC350 far enough forward that I had to notch the bottom of the back seat. It wasn't enough that it was noticable for sitting in the seat, but it did require some modification of the upholstery. I don't know if they are still available, but you could get a Berkeley that placed the access hole 'outside' the boat. That will move the engine back far enough that you won't have to notch the back seat.

I got 60mph out of mine with a mid 90's LT1. It was rated at 300hp, but I'm sure that rating was at a higher rpm than what I turned the motor. With an 'A' impellor it spun 4400rpm. The fuel economy was quite good with that setup. The boat always felt that it ran a bit wet/flat. If I had put a Jet-O-Vator on it I'm sure I could have trimmed it up a bit and picked up a few mph. With that and a 'B' impellor machined so I could turn 5000~5200rpm, I'm sure I'd have hit upper 60's with the same motor.

I say go for it!!

A super charged V6 would be the way to go. :yes:

Even if you go V8 and have to notch the back seat, I still say go for it. The upholstery mode doesn't detract from the looks and the 16C jet is SSOOOOOOOO much fun!

I PM'd you my number. If you want more info on the install process, give me a call.

MOP
08-19-2009, 06:42 AM
I got to ride it the blue 18 that has come to a few of the 1K runs, it was a blast turned on a dime and had a monster rooster tail. It has a modified 460 Ford in it, it is a fuel hog swallows gas like a cool beer on a hot day. I think a 16 would be even more fun, a V6 may give you the room you need get out the tape measure.

Phil

smbarcelow
08-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Personally, I think a small block would be a better match for a high pressure pump like the Berkeley than would a supercharged 4.3. I think you'll want the torque of a V8 to get a heavy 16 on plane. (That's my two cents.)

rustnrot
08-19-2009, 08:31 AM
I applaud this project greatly! As an aside I am doing the opposite you are on so many levels, turning a Chris Craft XK18 jet boat into a surface drive and putting a 3.8L supercharged engine in it. Also going to make it into a 2 seater, my lame photoshop attempt attached.

Bottom line: I love mods that are done to so-called "collectible" boats so much so that I have become addicted to the Nay-saying! Good Luck!

MOP
08-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Personally, I think a small block would be a better match for a high pressure pump like the Berkeley than would a supercharged 4.3. I think you'll want the torque of a V8 to get a heavy 16 on plane. (That's my two cents.)

V8 is way to long to accommodate the pump behind it, the V6 will be a squeeze as it is.

mrfixxall
08-19-2009, 09:27 AM
I applaud this project greatly! As an aside I am doing the opposite you are on so many levels, turning a Chris Craft XK18 jet boat into a surface drive and putting a 3.8L supercharged engine in it. Also going to make it into a 2 seater, my lame photoshop attempt attached.

Bottom line: I love mods that are done to so-called "collectible" boats so much so that I have become addicted to the Nay-saying! Good Luck!

You best make sure you have a big oil pan on that 3800 and a good oil cooler for the long hauls:)

mrfixxall
08-19-2009, 09:30 AM
V8 is way to long to accommodate the pump behind it, the V6 will be a squeeze as it is.

yeppers,that why i reccomended the yamaha power plant's..i know a guy at the chain that has a 21ft yamaha boat that runs in the 70's..and their engines are tiny!!!power to weight ratio..imagine two of those in a 16,,,,,,,,good BYE!!

MOP
08-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Tommy gets those 3.8's out of Australia fully marinized, it is a very sweet package.

opa
08-20-2009, 05:04 PM
I bet you could turn the motor around and use a v-drive and jack shaft to get power to the pump.

yeller
08-21-2009, 02:22 AM
V8 is way to long to accommodate the pump behind it, the V6 will be a squeeze as it is.Not so. I did it. A V8 will fit if you notch the back seat slightly. If you get the pump that positions the impellor shaft access hole outside the boat, it will fit easily.

Check the pic of the back seat in post #32:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58628&page=3 Now I know this is far from a factory Donzi interior, but you can see how I had to modify the base of the back seat rest to accommodate the V8. The mod isn't that much and with the above mentioned pump, the mod isn't necessary at all. For a 16C, you'd be blown away how much room you have in the engine bay with V8 jet. More room than a V6 with an outdrive.

MOP
08-21-2009, 06:35 AM
Not so. I did it. A V8 will fit if you notch the back seat slightly. If you get the pump that positions the impellor shaft access hole outside the boat, it will fit easily.

Check the pic of the back seat in post #32:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58628&page=3 Now I know this is far from a factory Donzi interior, but you can see how I had to modify the base of the back seat rest to accommodate the V8. The mod isn't that much and with the above mentioned pump, the mod isn't necessary at all. For a 16C, you'd be blown away how much room you have in the engine bay with V8 jet. More room than a V6 with an outdrive.

Point well taken!! I looked yours over again still tickles me, a 16 with a livable interior that turned out so Cool!

yeller
08-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks MOP. It was a blast to drive!