PDA

View Full Version : Project "sweet 16" has started!

fasttrucker
08-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Bought zeeksta sweet 16 and did a road trip to ct.Here are some pictures,loading the spare parts motor.I think I might buy a new trailer...I did make it home 5 hour trip.The steering wheel has been replaced,last picture...foot trim.Newer omc controls and gauges.

fasttrucker
08-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Thats brian,s son loading the parts motor.I think Ill need new stickers,anyone know where I can buy them?

fasttrucker
08-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Newer seat.Baby blue stripe.I have all the cusions and they can be cleaned up.200 hp johnson needs repainting,notice the lower unit off the parts motor.

Greg Guimond
08-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Do you know if the gas tank had been replaced at any point ?

fasttrucker
08-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Do you know if the gas tank had been replaced at any point ?
No,alum tank looks good,I need to replace the fuel lines and change the water/fuel sep.

fasttrucker
08-20-2009, 12:54 PM
:confused:Well,Back from shop......top motor mounts need replacing,coils leaking...Wondering if the motor is running on all 6 cly.I was told by a shop that The block is a 150 hp not a 200hp as it has a "flat back".But it may be a 200hp as he was a mercury guy.Hull need a lot of glasswork.Going to check out "The Outboard shop"Its the next stop but, hes not open till aug 25th as he is moving to new location.Trailer is junk.

chip w
08-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Looks like a great project! Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck!:cool!:

Greg Guimond
08-21-2009, 07:51 AM
I see a small block ETEC or a Mercury 200XS on the back !

Just Say N20
08-21-2009, 01:07 PM
The mercury shop wants to put a re-man 2.5 merc 200 hp on for $6000.00 installed.The 2.5 ltr weights less and would be nice. Plus I would pay for new controls.He also wants to put on new hdy. steering or a double cable system.

Do you consider this good news, or bad news?

I don't know what your plans were when you purchased the boat.

I bought my boat to run this summer, but decided to redo the boat after more thoroughly checking it out. This wasn't my plan, but it is where I find myself.

Just curious.

"Dusty"

fasttrucker
08-21-2009, 01:08 PM
I dropped the donzi off today at another shop.This guy went to johnson/evenrude school.He is going to change out the top motor mounts.He says that he has to remove the powerhead to get to the mounts.It may be hard to remove the bolts as they are s.s thru alum.I hope it comes off and it might be ok as this was a replaced flagship powerhead.Iam unsure when it was done.After he gets the mounts replaced he is going to repaint the johnson.Then the fiberglass shop is the next stop.

fasttrucker
08-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Do you consider this good news, or bad news?
I don't know what your plans were when you purchased the boat.
I bought my boat to run this summer, but decided to redo the boat after more thoroughly checking it out. This wasn't my plan, but it is where I find myself.
Just curious.
"Dusty"
Bad news,Iam trying to gets this project done for under $10,000. as that is all this boat will be worth on todays market.Ive got to get the motor running,new trailer,fiberglass restored and painted.Its going to be tough to get this all done for less then $10,000.

Greg Guimond
08-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Find out what year the 2.5 200 is from the shop. For $6,000 installed I would assume that it is a 2000 or later EFI. At 2003 they lost some ponies as compared to the earlier models. The Mercury 200XS is also a 2.5 although it weighs a touch more because it is an Opti. If, however, you plan on using the boat a LOT you can't beat the 200XS for fuel economy and no one else will have that motor. Depends on how you plan on using the boat but you can't beat the ETEC for less noise and for almost no vibration coming into the harbor.

Then again, you could go the full distance and turn it into a hot rod. I am told that there are NO 16's that can break 80 on GPS :popcorn:

fasttrucker
08-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Find out what year the 2.5 200 is from the shop. For $6,000 installed I would assume that it is a 2000 or later EFI. At 2003 they lost some ponies as compared to the earlier models. The Mercury 200XS is also a 2.5 although it weighs a touch more because it is an Opti. If, however, you plan on using the boat a LOT you can't beat the 200XS for fuel economy and no one else will have that motor. Depends on how you plan on using the boat but you can't beat the ETEC for less noise and for almost no vibration coming into the harbor.

Then again, you could go the full distance and turn it into a hot rod. I am told that there are NO 16's that can break 80 on GPS :popcorn:
Not EFI, he said to go with a carb.I think it would be nice to go with a pro-xs or an e-tec HO model.That would really blow-up my bank account-up.For my son and me, a sweet 16 that we plan to run around on,pull a tube and pull to fla for vacation.It just will not happen.Iam planing on buying a 27zr in 2011.But you never know I do buy lottery tickets.:shades:

dwiggl
08-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Go to screamandfly.com for anything you would like to know about performance outboards. They as supportive as The Donzi Registry. There are TONS of good used engines on the eastern seaboard. If you look towards Tennesee or Illinois, you can find even more that are fresh water motas.
Those guys can show you how to get that 16 ready to embarrass some big block boaters.
Best of luck!
don

MOP
08-21-2009, 02:08 PM
The 235 had the hump back for the tuned exhaust, it may well be a 200.

Phil

fasttrucker
08-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Go to screamandfly.com for anything you would like to know about performance outboards. They as supportive as The Donzi Registry. There are TONS of good used engines on the eastern seaboard. If you look towards Tennesee or Illinois, you can find even more that are fresh water motas.
Those guys can show you how to get that 16 ready to embarrass some big block boaters.
Best of luck!
don
Yes,found my exact 200hp johnson for sale in fl.on the scream+fly site.Looks like my johnson is still ok and Iam having the powerhead pulled as to install new motor mounts next week.Iam then having it painted and custom stickers will get ordered.I found a guy on scream+fly that makes them.

fasttrucker
08-22-2009, 09:37 AM
The 235 had the hump back for the tuned exhaust, it may well be a 200.

Phil
Thanks,phil..........I think the mercury guy wants to sell me a mercury.Cant blame him in these tuff times.If I had the extra $ it would be nice to buy a new reman motor for this donzi.Anyway,Its a 200hp johnson and he was wrong in telling me that it was only a 150hp.

MOP
08-22-2009, 12:52 PM
On the side of the block there are 3 covers per side, it is worth buying the gaskets and pulling those covers. You will be able to check for stuck rings(common with cheap oil) and also will get a pretty good idea of the condition of the bores and pistons and also the amount of carbon build up. Then go and buy a can of carbon buster and follow the directions, restart it on a hose as the krap that will come out is toxic. Doing those two steps is worth the time, we used to charge some fair bucks doing a carbon job the customers were always pleased with the results.
Follow up on paragraph #1 if all looks good but there seems to be excessive carbon it is important to pull the exhaust covers, that whole area will be gunked up. Now a thought that will require a bit of work! Find the hump back exhaust setup, rebuild and re jet the carbs. The difference between 200 and 235 feels like a lot more then 35HP, the tuned exhaust pumps up the top end nicely.

Phil

P.S. when you scrape the gasket mating surfaces on anything you take apart us a windshield plastic ice scraper, I never allowed my guys to use metal scrapers on anything aluminum!!!!! I used to hack them down to a nice narrow width, for sharpening I would tape 220 grit on 3/4" ply to touch it up as needed.

I worked on that krap for 30+ if you need tips I prefer you post them but you can PM me for my number. There is quite a bit more HP in that block, squared ports, Boyesen reeds, a bump in compression, some carb work, and exhaust stack if done right can make around 300HP.

MOP
08-22-2009, 01:13 PM
There have been a couple of 16's that we watched blossom into the 80's! One of our frozen Northern buddies topped 100 with twin turbos!!!!! Not sure what the blown one with the 3 foot long tabs did!!!!!

From my point of view I would go to the solid mounts and dual cable, don't waste your bucks on stock mounts, put up with a little vibration. The exact handling that solids give with tight steering is amazing. Log onto Scream & Fly before you dump your bucks. Look at all the Formula race boats, they all run cable and solid mounts none that I have seen run hydraulic. With a 6 vibration is minimal with the solid mounts, the flex in stock mounts at speed is down right spooky!

fogducker III
08-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Mop,I got my donzi back early,the shop could not get the bolts on the powerhead loose.The bottom mounts are solid the top mounts which are bad are rubber.They need to remove the bolts to remove the powerhead to change the mounts:boggled: any thoughts.:confused:

HEAT is your friend with seized bolts/nuts on outboards....:wink:

I am surprised your 'shop' could not figure out how to remove a powerhead....:confused:

I think MOP would agree...?

BUIZILLA
08-24-2009, 12:48 PM
3K :kingme:

handfulz28
08-24-2009, 01:13 PM
HEAT is your friend with seized bolts/nuts on outboards

I wouldn't think that's the best idea for stainless in aluminum. They might as well be welded. But either way it'll end up with ruined threads in the aluminum.

As for the pull, has anyone recommended looking at the trim tab on the outboard? May help.

Does it absolutely need all that work to get you and your son out on the tube and having some fun? If it's not absolutely falling apart or dangerous, keep using it until you really don't want it anymore. But don't let it nickle and dime you to death if it's not what you really want.

fasttrucker
08-24-2009, 01:16 PM
HEAT is your friend with seized bolts/nuts on outboards....:wink:

I am surprised your 'shop' could not figure out how to remove a powerhead....:confused:

I think MOP would agree...?
Iam going to speak with this "The outboard shop" guy.Hes the man around here.He moved his shop and is reopening tomorow,we will see..........

The Hedgehog
08-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Hey Bill,

Fun project. Jamie at Lakeside has those decals. He advertises here or let me know if you want his number.