PDA

View Full Version : Can N2O Be Used On 525 EFI?

Carl C
08-18-2009, 11:15 AM
On a closed loop car engine I could install a small dry system at the throttle body but the marine engine uses a premapped fuel curve so where would the extra fuel come from? My Banshee uses "fogger nozzles" that mix gas and N2O and inject it just below the carb. Would one of those work on a 525 EFI mounted near the throttle body? It would be a mild system and only for an occasional race if I do this. Just looking for a couple extra mph when I need it. The rev limiter would prevent me from going crazy with N2O anyway. I just wonder if this would work on a port injected pre-mapped EFI engine.

Rootsy
08-18-2009, 11:27 AM
This should be fun... :popcorn:

BUIZILLA
08-18-2009, 11:44 AM
yup, NO2 with a rev limiter he's already at...

mrfixxall
08-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Carl theirs several differant ways you could go.injected n2o is where they have nozzels that go under all 8 injectors and is injected with the injector fuel or a plate that goes between the throttle body or you could get a system that fogs the air filter and the engine will suck in what it needs..just remember what ever you do make sure you purg the susyrm before you use it and you need to be in the upper rpm range or you will blow the intake off the engine..this diagrahm will give you a ides..You dont want to be at the rev limiter with n2o,ka BOOM,,,intake fart and kiss your hatch good bye

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/nitrous/intro_systems.shtml

boxy
08-18-2009, 12:02 PM
How does the N02 system tie into the steering system, I would think an extra shot of HP may yank a stock steering system.

yeller
08-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Don't do it Carl. JMO, but I've never considered NOS to be legit. It's always been kind of like cheating to me. If you beat me using NOS, I wouldn't consider that anymore legit than if you tied an anchor to my boat without me knowing it.

If you can do 82 now and 85+ with NOS, in my books you don't have an 85+ mph boat. You have a 82mph boat, because 85+ can't be sustained.

Sweet Cheekz
08-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Plus that whole "intake fart and kiss your hatch goodbye" thing would suck too :eek:
Parnell

mrfixxall
08-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Don't do it Carl. JMO, but I've never considered NOS to be legit. It's always been kind of like cheating to me. If you beat me using NOS, I wouldn't consider that anymore legit than if you tied an anchor to my boat without me knowing it.

If you can do 82 now and 85+ with NOS, in my books you don't have an 85+ mph boat. You have a 82mph boat, because 85+ can't be sustained.

With the rite prop and a 150 shot it would probably be closer to 90,,Carl if you hit the little button it going to put alot of stress on your ginbal ring,i suggest the proper steering before considering the n2o thing..

BigGrizzly
08-18-2009, 12:45 PM
It can be done safely by good people. I do agree with yeller, to a point. Now if I know you have NO2, I would race longer. Geoo did it and it worked for him. What I will caution you to do is make a soft system a hard one is a killer for couplers and lowers.

A2VeeDub
08-18-2009, 01:10 PM
I get 8-9 mph on a 100 shot on an 18C with a 350. As long as you make damn sure to avoid the rev limiter I think it is great for what you want. I only hit mine for 5-10 seconds about 1 time per trip out and an extra 8-9 mph is huge when your running next to someone.

Phil S
08-18-2009, 01:21 PM
I have 4 sale my completely custom 2004 22ft 40th anniversary DONZI Dyno at (704hp) with NOS, it pushes(890hp) it is insane 100 + mph boat i have over $160K invested in it .$60k in motor alone ....All work professionaly done. BLOCK built by Cobra MIAMI Engine work done by Florida Boat Works ..Just to list a few things... Serious buyers call Sean (772)224-4211 ...ASKING..$90,000.00

(copied from the classifieds...)

as soon as i read this, i knew this would have a few here dreamin' & scheming :wink: :)

boxy
08-18-2009, 01:26 PM
I have 4 sale my completely custom 2004 22ft 40th anniversary DONZI Dyno at (704hp) with NOS, it pushes(890hp) it is insane 100 + mph boat i have over $160K invested in it .$60k in motor alone ....All work professionaly done. BLOCK built by Cobra MIAMI Engine work done by Florida Boat Works ..Just to list a few things... Serious buyers call Sean (772)224-4211 ...ASKING..$90,000.00

as soon as i read this, i knew this would have a few here dreamin' & scheming :wink: :)
Carl's just upset because he's no longer the fastest yellow 22 ...... :D :D

The Hedgehog
08-18-2009, 02:27 PM
It can be done safely by good people. I do agree with yeller, to a point. Now if I know you have NO2, I would race longer. Geoo did it and it worked for him. What I will caution you to do is make a soft system a hard one is a killer for couplers and lowers.

+1! It is doable

Last Real Texan
08-18-2009, 02:28 PM
steering steering steering steering steering steerin steering steering steering steering steering steering steering steering steering steering
steering steering steering steering steering steerin steering steering steering steering steering steering steering steering steering steering

Get my drift Carl!

Tex

Ed Donnelly
08-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Make sure you have a N/O switch on the throttle plate so you don't accidently activate at partial throttle

I have a 100h.p. system on the 1,000 c.f.m. tunnel ram........Ed

mrfixxall
08-18-2009, 03:00 PM

i know of 3 single engine donzis that will crack 100 with out the nos:yes:

BTW what piston rings are you running and are the pistons ported?

Phil S
08-18-2009, 03:37 PM
quick clarification Mr Fix.....I copied and pasted that info from a newly posted ad in the donzis for sale section of forum...it's a yellow 2004 model that is listed for sale (very nice looking boat btw)...that's definitely not me running that fast, nor my ad....

it's pretty descriptive ad, it may even say what kind of rings / pistons, etc... i would cut & paste the link to it, but it won't let me....

anyway check out the donzis for sale section and you'll find the ad...it's from the last 2-3 days i think

my boat is yellow, but spends all of it's time pulling 11 year old twins on tubes/kneeboards/etc...it rarely gets above 20 mph ! :)

with kind regards,

Phil S

MOP
08-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Make sure you have a N/O switch on the throttle plate so you don't accidently activate at partial throttle

I have a 100h.p. system on the 1,000 c.f.m. tunnel ram........Ed

Ed you never cease to amaze me, for such a quiet laid back guy you do fool with some radical Chit!!!

Carl C
08-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Guys, if I do this it will be a very mild system. I'm thinking of using the components from my Banshee which I never ride anymore. I am not new to nitrous. My '82 mustang has a carb plate system, I had an outboard with a wet system and my Banshee has it. I never thought I'd come in off the lake and find 18 responses already. I will not be installing the ported system with a fogger nozzle for each cylinder. What I am thinking about would probably add about 50 hp. It won't be done this summer, therefore the steering will be done. I just wonder if two small engine fogger nozzles installed behind the throttle plate would work or is there a reason that the fuel/N2O mix cannot be put into the manifold there. This is a kit that was intended for Harley engines and I'm using it on a 350 cc 2-stroke with the smallest jets. It's probably a bad idea but it's been going around in my head for awhile.

Tex, that is a lot of steering. I'm impressed. Thanks.

Sweet Cheekz
08-18-2009, 05:07 PM
If you do it without steering make sure you are in the middle of the lake with no boats around because there is no way you will know where you are going till you get there!
Parnell

blackhawk
08-18-2009, 05:46 PM
I just wonder if two small engine fogger nozzles installed behind the throttle plate would work or is there a reason that the fuel/N2O mix cannot be put into the manifold there.

I know this works for 2-stroke snowmobile engines. Just have to make sure you add enough fuel! :cool:

joseph m. hahnl
08-18-2009, 05:56 PM
My God man , aren't you ever happy with your 22 ? :wink:

CHACHI
08-18-2009, 07:13 PM
He only has 80K+ invested in it, give the guy a break.

Ken

cvx
08-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Purchased my first NOS system from Mike Thermos in late '70's I believe, ran it on just about all the toys I've had since. Most critical is fuel pressure, lean means big problems, always run it a little fat. Been running a 180 shot in a 18' for a couple years now with a 406 sbc and HYD. STEERING! thru an Alpha SS, granted,I don't use it a lot, kind of a hassle to prop for it when I do use it. Runs GPS 84 w/o, 90+ with.

Carl C
08-19-2009, 10:01 AM

Joe, I am very happy with my boat now. When i get the steering on and the gauges all working for next season I will be good to go for some time. I am not looking to be the fastest and am really happy with the performance of the 525. I figure I will be good for 5 years or so now and by then I'll either be ready to upgrade with a blower or else (more likely), since I will be 60 years old then I will be ready to move into something a bit bigger and slower and with a nice cabin. Maybe a Formula. I don't think I will do the nitrous, there is just always something going around in my head. The steering will be on for next season for sure. This season is already winding down :(. Thanks for the input and let's please let this thread die.

Dr. David Fleming
08-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Carl,

Nitrous Oxide was used as a pain killer for dentistry - its often called laughing gas. They put a "stink" in it so crazy boat mechanics don't use it to get high! Was talking to Dave Crockett - Tyler's little brother - says Dave, "Most boats run flat out so much, you could'nt keep the bottle filled - what a pain in the a.... About the only use in boat racing would be to give high acceleration up to max boat speed, like coming out of curves. Cars use it but you don't run your car at steady 5200 rpm."

Dr. D

Barry Eller
08-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Carl, get your NOS from your Dentist so your exhaust doesn't stink!:wink::cistineb:

Carl C
08-21-2009, 07:20 AM
I have a source for the pure stuff at a local racing shop. You have to sign a form to get it. I hear the sulphur clogs the filter. The idea was to add just a couple mph and get the rpm near the 5,400 limiter for brief times when racing. I've decided not to do it partly because I would be adding weight and complexity for something I would rarely use.

BTW, I don't consider N2O "cheating" any more than a blower is cheating, or a turbo or a jet turbine for that matter. If not racing in a class with rules, there is no such thing as cheating. My Mustang engine is built for nitrous with lower compression, less timing, cam that favors the exhaust etc. Telling me I'd have to take the bottle out to race would be like telling someone they need to remove their blower belt.

cvx
08-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Hear, Hear Carl, I agree with you on your second comment about NOS being cheating. I believe Nitrous was first used back in WWI or WWII in fighter planes as an aid in dogfights to add HP when climbing straight up to get away from enemy fire and loop around to try and get behind enemy plane.

mike o
08-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Carl, get your NOS from your Dentist so your exhaust doesn't stink!:wink::cistineb: And their bottles are bigger.:kingme: You have the perfect spot for one.:kingme:

Ed Donnelly
08-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Just think of the great time you can have under your deck with Dentist grade NOS.:cool!:................Ed

Carl C
08-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Multi purpose nitrous oxide............ya gotta love it:yes:

Pismo
08-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Get a whipple setup instead.

joseph m. hahnl
08-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Carl,

Was talking to Dave Crockett - Tyler's little brother - says Dave, "Most boats run flat out so much, you could'nt keep the bottle filled - what a pain in the a.... About the only use in boat racing would be to give high acceleration up to max boat speed, like coming out of curves.
Dr. D

You only need it for a few seconds:kingme::kingme::kingme::kingme::kingme:
well may be 10 seconds:shocking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze37vHfIqw4

And then maybe a few seconds more :crossfing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8svnfhL9lE&NR=1

Mr X
08-21-2009, 10:38 AM
I agree 100% .....only if you can't stand leaving it stock.

Carl C
08-21-2009, 11:08 AM
The engine will stay as is for now.

blackhawk
08-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Well since this thread isn't dying I'll respond.

The problem with nitrous is you become addicted to it. Then when the bottle is empty depression sets in! This goes for both inhaling it and experiencing the acceleration. :D

blackhawk
08-21-2009, 11:54 AM
The idea was to add just a couple mph and get the rpm near the 5,400 limiter for brief times when racing.

Carl do you have a working tach yet? You should be propping that bad boy for 5300-5350 the way it is. ;)

Carl C
08-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Carl do you have a working tach yet? You should be propping that bad boy for 5300-5350 the way it is. ;)

No tach yet. I have the wiring harness but had some issues plus the engine control module needs to be programmed to send an analog signal. I put so much work into the boat I decided to put this off to the winter when I'll do steering too. I believe recommended top rpm is 5,200. It will be interesting to see what I am getting. I have not bumped the limiter yet.

blackhawk
08-21-2009, 01:37 PM
No tach yet. I have the wiring harness but had some issues plus the engine control module needs to be programmed to send an analog signal. I put so much work into the boat I decided to put this off to the winter when I'll do steering too. I believe recommended top rpm is 5,200. It will be interesting to see what I am getting. I have not bumped the limiter yet.

I'm curious to see what you're running as well. You're correct the recommended range is 4800-5200 but the 525s keep climbing to 5500 or so. There's quite a few more ponies at 5300-5400 over 5000-5200.

I don't blame you for making it your winter project! You've done a lot to your boat this year!

wrussellw
08-21-2009, 02:14 PM
And their bottles are bigger.:kingme: You have the perfect spot for one.:kingme:

Don't ski anyway so I put it to good use.

Dr. David Fleming
08-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Man they kept larfing and larfing - folks were looking and wondering what the h... was going on!

Dr. d

LKSD
08-22-2009, 10:03 AM

Yep, It will probably last longer for him too.. :) Jamie

mrfixxall
08-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Man with all this n20 talk in is giving me the itch to put my kit back in the ole x:)