PDA

View Full Version : Can't find my old OIL post!!

MOP
08-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Tried to find my post on using oil in my mouse stroker, since I put together my 383 it has always used 1/2 qt of oil about every 6-7 hours. I posted on the usage shortly after the build, most all said it was normal for a stroker! Well for three years I have been topping it off with not to cheap oil! While up at the 1K run I had to run up to Ken cottage about 30 miles, as usual I checked my oil and it was at the 1/2 qt mark. I decided not to top off to just to see what happened, ran to Kenny's and back was still at the 1/2 qt mark. Put about another 150 miles GPS with no change! Ok I should have had a clue, no smoke ever, no cruded up plugs and a reasonably clean staying air cleaner. The engine don't leak it has a windage tray and the Lunati cranks counter weights sling oil toward the mains, so where the heck did the oil go?????????????? I guess it don't matter I will be saving $12 @ qt oil, Hmm maybe an extra vacation on the savings!!!

A2VeeDub
08-18-2009, 08:11 AM
My turbo VW motor does the same thing. If I fill it with Mobil 1 to the full mark it will blow 1/2 to 3/4 qt out the breather in the first few hours. If I refill it the same thing happens. If I leave it alone it will just stay a little over 1/2 qt low. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, considering your talking about a stroked na V-8 and I'm talking about a 4-banger with around 20psi boost, but an interesting phenomenon none the less.