PDA

View Full Version : Coil/ignition question... 350 ... tow job

Lenny
08-17-2009, 11:00 AM
:D Think of this story with this playing in the background... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qycmb7_LvsA :D

Anyways, yesterday, Deneen and I went out in the X at lunch on our 1st Anniversary to the waterfront Restaurant we were at last year on our Wedding day. I pull away from the buoy to go pick her up at the dock and lo and behold, Jeremy (Fogducker) shows up in front of me with a buddy as he is heading out for a cruise too. :) We hook up and run together for a long while, 15-20 miles, whereas we get to our Restaurant and head inside for snacks and refreshments. About an hour and a half passes and we phone Jeremy ( he is still somewhat in the area) and we re-connect and decide to travel back towards the cottage. Halfway there we both decide to run to a different watering hole and go fill-up at a local gas dock for the journey ahead. 20-30 miles.

***NOTE*** my tach ( original Teleflex) has been showing low RPMS when in fact I know i am seeing 5300 rpm WOT and 2800-3500 cruise speeds. It goes back to normal every once in a while.

We go for the run, and then decide to run to a different one a ways further due to congestion at the Pub.

Once there (all is good) we dock, go inside, have some fun, yadda yadda yadda, blah blah blah. Jeremy ends up with this blonde in his boat for $hits and giggles and wants to go for a "spin" and a smoke and a beer etc. We hang out in the bay with them, borrow his camera, take lots of pics of them as he never gets pics of him in his boat, let alone with a beautiful blonde ;) . :tongue: He heads back to the Pub to drop her off and Deneen and I decide to run back the "sunset route" way. At about 2500 rpms, staring at the sun starting to go down ( 7:30 pm-ish) the motor goes bang, bang, bang, backfires, loses all power, barely idles etc. ( All ignition type sounds. I turn it off, take a look, all looks fine. I go to restart it and it will only idle, will not come off idle. Turn it off again, look closer, try to restart. This time NO STARTY . :( Quickly I realize that not being able to idle is going to be a REAL problem, ( or start even ) and we are basically the only boat on the water in the area and it is vast. I call Jeremy as he went a different way back and leave a message. He calls back and after re-fueling again, comes to see us and the obvious ( a long tow ) decends upon him (us) :( .

Upon closer inspection, I notice clear-ish oil in the rear valley of the intake manifold, right around the distributor. (350) Then I go to touch the coil, and it is so $uckin hot it is like a stove burner. Also, the bakelight end where the coils wire comes out of appears cracked.

So, Jeremy and friend, Deneen and I, hook up the boats, and start what was about a 3 hour, 4-5 knot tow, that didn't get us to our destination (Piers Island) until 10:30 pm :eek: :eek: :eek: We had 500' Ferries blasting their spotlights on us out in the middle of nowhere, large vessels slowing down, etc, etc, etc, out in the pitch black and absolutely FREEZING :yes: When I got back to the cabin I drained the hot water tank trying to warm up.

Jeremy, refused to take any money. :smash:

Anyways, thanks Jeremy :yes: That was beyond the call of duty and surely had to rank in the top 10 of $hitiest adventures on the Ocean.

OK, what do you think happened ? why was the coils so FREAKING hot ? why the clear oil, why the tach mis-readings ? What caused this ? What will fix it ?

The thing runs fabulously, idles perfectly, runs cool, has lots of power. Not a single complaint, period. Until this mis-fire thng.

I have a Marine Mallory distributor set-up and Mallory coil that I bought off of farmer Tex about 5 years ago. It has never even had the slightest hiccup.

I am using the Blue HEI Mallory distributor deal and HO coil. ( or, ... was )

Here is the coil ... http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=4227

fogducker III
08-17-2009, 11:05 AM
I am still trying to figure out if I played the Gilligan role or the skipper?

We know who Ginger and Mary-Ann were........:wink:

RedDog
08-17-2009, 11:17 AM
To heck with the coil - where are the pictures of the blond?

mrfixxall
08-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Lenny is it the plastic coil or a steel cased coil? all coils have oil in them unless ite the new hei modern coil..its soppose to keep them cool like us:)
are you running a ballast resister? also some coils have the ballist resister built into them and most likely the mallory one does not have one built into it..the resistor cuts down the power going into the coil which is probably the reason the coil got so hot and either ruptured from heat or a rust scab from the salt water if its the metal one..Heres the one ive been running for the last 23 years(WOW does freekin tim fly)..no issues:crossfing:

http://www.thepartsbin.com/sitemap/mallory~ignition_coil~parts.html

BUIZILLA
08-17-2009, 11:29 AM
the coil exploded...

the clear liquid is/was the oil in the coil...

now to find out why this happened...

i'm here..

your there...

kinda not around the corner.. eh.. :kingme:

Lenny
08-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Chrome metal one, and the ballast resistor ( which was on the old 350 I blew up ) is NOT on the side of this one ?????

Did my mechanic forget to replace it when we put these parts on Don Tamms motor last summer ???

And this is the first time (summer) since last, that it has seen extended, long duration/distance, runs.

Now you got me wondering. :yes:

The coil is at the end of the link at top of page.

mrfixxall
08-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Chrome metal one, and the ballast resistor ( which was on the old 350 I blew up ) is NOT on the side of this one ?????

Did my mechanic forget to replace it when we put these parts on Don Tamms motor last summer ???

And this is the first time (summer) since last, that it has seen extended, long duration/distance, runs.

Now you got me wondering. :yes:

The coil is at the end of the link at top of page.

If it were me, replace it wirh the plastic one like i have,23 yrs and still running strong:) i believe the one im running has more oil in it to keep it cooler for the long hauls + it wont get all nasty looking from the salt water you run in..

Checkthe part # yu have,,some of them have a resister built into them..

BUIZILLA
08-17-2009, 11:52 AM
I am using the Blue HEI Mallory distributor deal and HO coil. HEI has it's own coil...

MOP
08-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Not all coils require a resistor, they are marked whether or not to use one. If you do need one from experience I have found that eh Chrysler white ceramic one works very well and lasts a very long time.

Phil

Lenny
08-17-2009, 01:24 PM
HEI has it's own coil...

NOT HEI, my bad, but a Mallory magnetic one...

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=3476

BUIZILLA
08-17-2009, 01:34 PM
wrong coil? from the catalog link... your distributor is BREAKERLESS?

Mallory Coil

675-29217 Category: Electrical Systems Brand Name: Mallory Mallory Chrome Ignition Coil
High output, 12-volt electronic ignition coils deliver the added voltage required to properly ignite performance marine engines. Oil-filled design and arc-resistant alkyd top provide superior insulation and cooling. This coil is designed for optimum performance with the Mallory Breaker Point Ignition.
Price: $39.99

Lenny
08-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Here is a pic of the MALLORY unit from about 5 years ago and on a motor I threw a rod on. As you can see there is a ballast resistor on it. On Don Tamms motor, same ignition as was on this motor, there DEFINATELY is not a ballast resistor,... as in maybe my Mech forgot to put it back in the circuit... ???
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12397&d=1118437599

MOP
08-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Ok I see the good Chrysler resister but the coil is hiding behind the distributor, can't see type or wiring! I am assuming by the use of a resistor it is a low voltage coil, it also should have a hot start wire coming of the starter to supply full 12v for quick starting.

Phil

MOP
08-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Note the Mallory coil may not require a resistor, it is normally written on the coil!! My advice buy a good name brand 60,000 volt coil straight 12 volts that is what I run it never gets hot and it starts like a cannon shot!

mrfixxall
08-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Lenny if thats a mallory unilite you need to run 2 resisters or one hd one,you cant let no more then 8 volts through the electric eye on the pick up or it will burn out..

BUIZILLA
08-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Mike, catalog says it's magnetic... good tip though.. :pimp:

fogducker III
08-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Let me know how the new coil works Lenny...........

not sure if I have done this right, but this is a short movie of Lenny and I doing a "two boat rooster".....:eek::yes:

Won't let me up-load it...:confused:

Lenny
08-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Put new coil on yesterday afternoon. Fixed it instantly. The coil I bought has a built in 1.5 ohm resistor. After idling at the buoy for 10 minutes the coil is HOT to touch as well :(

Anyways, I took it for a run for $its and giggles and had my "patrol boat" (Deneen) awaiting a call if i blew it up again. No problems in that regard BUT, WOT has gone from 1 person, 1/2 fuel to 4000 tops (tach read) instead of about 5200-5300....

:( time to take her home for a flush and put her to sleep for a while and bring out the LE :D

That is todays plan.

...and probably a compatible, fresh, brandy new, complete ignition kit, top to bottom.

BigGrizzly
08-18-2009, 12:32 PM
The coil like BUIZ said is the fluid but I bet the tach, origional teleflex from 1966,caused some issue. On our 16 we lost the tach twice once with the same experience you had. tach went engine backfir3es and quits.

Lenny
08-18-2009, 05:09 PM
I have been wondering if the "tach" Teleflex '74, could cause $hit like this AND it is not reporting properly anymore. These are all new problems that came out of the blue :yes:

Took the X home today and put it away. Time for the Procharged LE to come out and play :D

Phil S
08-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Jeremy ends up with this blonde in his boat for $hits and giggles and wants to go for a "spin" and a smoke and a beer etc. We hang out in the bay with them, borrow his camera, take lots of pics of them as he never gets pics of him in his boat, let alone with a beautiful blonde :wink: .

(emphasis added)

I'm left wondering how this thread got so far off track....talking about coils, resistors, ohm's, etc....:wink::yes:

Happy Anniversary btw :party:

With kind regards,
Phil S