PDA

View Full Version : Two Chris Craft XK 8 Meters.

lars
08-17-2009, 04:08 AM
One 1974 in Florida, $850 and one 1976 in Sweden, $130,000! Photos are self-explanatory.

BUIZILLA
08-17-2009, 06:33 AM
wow, how coooool is that ! :pimp:

zelatore
08-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Cool - I was unfamiliar with that layout.

I'm betting it was available with twins? That single is just swimming in that engine room!

smidgen too
08-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Cool - I was unfamiliar with that layout.

I'm betting it was available with twins? That single is just swimming in that engine room!
Back In The Day 1975 to 1976 when they were built, CC only made them with twins. Here is one that raced back then and is still in Michigan today.

olredalert
08-17-2009, 11:19 PM
-----I have seen this very cQQl boat and heard it run. It came out of the mold in orange metal-flake. I didnt believe it until Smidge told me. I think it is still in the original family, right Mark???......Mr.Bill

Ghost
08-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Very cool. Never seen one, never heard of it before. Really good stuff.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-18-2009, 12:37 AM
One 1974 in Florida, $850 and one 1976 in Sweden, $130,000! Photos are self-explanatory.

Now there is a boat you don't see everyday. Thanks for the pictures. That got me wondering how many sport class boats have passenger seating ahead of the driver - short of the bowriders. Criterions come to mind. Bill

smidgen too
08-18-2009, 12:47 AM
-----I have seen this very cQQl boat and heard it run. It came out of the mold in orange metal-flake. I didnt believe it until Smidge told me. I think it is still in the original family, right Mark???......Mr.Bill
Thats what he said [same family] at the old school reunion.:yes:

HumminCummins
01-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Is there anymore info on these boats? I actually have one that im bringing back to life right now. I'd love more info on that race boat, As thats the path im going with mine.

anymore pictures?
thanks!
Mark

Greg Guimond
01-17-2011, 03:28 PM
That boat is COOL, especially like the layout with holders for 6 bottles of Dom and then the efficient forward cabin. NICE LINES!

Welcome HC, and thanks for sharing Lars :yes:

smidgen too
01-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Is there anymore info on these boats? I actually have one that im bringing back to life right now. I'd love more info on that race boat, As thats the path im going with mine.

anymore pictures?
thanks!
Mark
Here is a picture from a 1975 race program of the C-C RIDER it was orange metal-flake too. And one pic of the Orange Julius.

DAULEY
01-17-2011, 10:22 PM
very cool boat wounder how many are still around

DAULEY
01-17-2011, 10:34 PM
wounder what props hes running

Craig S
01-18-2011, 11:13 AM
I've never seen one in the flesh. Must not have produced many.

smidgen too
01-18-2011, 09:48 PM
These were made around 1975 in a limited production. They had a good and bad short history in offshore racing. The Bad,, the first death in offshore racing happened on Lake St Clair, Walt Burns was killed in the Maverick, CC owned by Steve Baum. Steve was abel to buy a blank hull from Christ Craft and rigged it with the newly released 350 Tempest Trs package back in 1975. The XK Maverick was fast, maybe to fast for its steering, thats what broke killing Walt.. The Good, new safety rules came out of this tragedy. Steve never raced it again, instead Steve stretched the hull & made the 32' Maverick race boats from his CC hull. He built two race hulls the Maverick & Miss Gallo Break Out.

mrfixxall
01-18-2011, 10:08 PM

those would be the old school volvo cleavers,i know of a set if interested..

HallJ
01-19-2011, 12:24 PM

They are merc props bought blank and splined for a Volvo by a dude in Detroit. This is what the owner told me.

With such a low X dim. and and limited trim, I would think a Solas would be a better choice.

Jeff

dammmagnum
01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
They are merc props bought blank and splined for a Volvo by a dude in Detroit. This is what the owner told me.

With such a low X dim. and and limited trim, I would think a Solas would be a better choice.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I had a set on my Magnum Sport that I got from Roger Mumm, I raised my drives 2" and had Roger's power trim also.

Thank you
jim

HallJ
01-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Hi Jeff,

I had a set on my Magnum Sport that I got from Roger Mumm, I raised my drives 2" and had Roger's power trim also.

Thank you
jim

Were they over the hub or through the hub?

Jeff

dammmagnum
01-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Were they over the hub or through the hub?

Jeff

Jeff ,

They were thru the hub and the output shafts were also changed
they were the standard Merc TRS type clevers

Thank you
Jim

HallJ
01-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Jeff ,

They were thru the hub and the output shafts were also changed
they were the standard Merc TRS type clevers

Thank you
Jim

My Magnum came with a set of 21 cleavers. They did a lot of slipping and it took for ever to get it on plane. I could bury the 6000 RPM tachs with worn out motors. I thought they were quite useless for my setup.

I borrowed a set of Nibrals from Mark and they were much better.
The Solas are what I'm running now.

I may try the cleavers again after raising the drives and adding power trim.
I'm guessing the Solas will still be better though.

Jeff

dammmagnum
01-19-2011, 11:37 PM
My Magnum came with a set of 21 cleavers. They did a lot of slipping and it took for ever to get it on plane. I could bury the 6000 RPM tachs with worn out motors. I thought they were quite useless for my setup.

I borrowed a set of Nibrals from Mark and they were much better.
The Solas are what I'm running now.

I may try the cleavers again after raising the drives and adding power trim.
I'm guessing the Solas will still be better though.

Jeff

Jeff,
I had 2 sets of Nibrals when I first got the Sport and they seem to work pretty good, didn't have power trim at that time, just set the drive on the outer pin.

Then I redid the set up and raised the drives and the power trim set up, along with the clevers
The set up came off of Roger's Sport, when he onverted to MDS Speedos drives. I understood that Roger got a lot of the Volvo stuff from the guys out of Mich. Possibly Wally Harper? After that, I got a set of the Volvo Speedo lower units that the guys in Mich made. they were smaller then the Volvo Speedos. Never got to try them as I sold the Sport.

All the money that I put into all the Volvo stuff, I could have converted to TRS.
At that time, Holman and Moody had a bunch of hi po Volvo parts(Speedos and Gears etc) in N.C. Who knows where all that stuff went?

Thank you
Jim

HumminCummins
02-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Right now im converting my 8Meter to a mercruiser alpha set up for now, Im putting wolverine trim tab set up on it for now aswell, I've raised my X-factor 1.5 inches, I also plan to repower after with bravo 1's and 383 stroker small blocks. For the gentlemen that raised his X-factor 2 inches, You went to high! plus with not being able to trim you where cavitating to much. I will post more recent pics of the boat soon! There is still tons of work to be done as I just have a blank hull with a new transom and cut holes for the gimble housings, But I plan to have it in the water for this year! Dose anyone know what kind of speed the race boats where running?

Thanks!
Mark

HumminCummins
02-04-2011, 08:09 PM
some more pics.

the one is of the xkv, and my 1977 First year 300 scarab that will be the next project!