PDA

View Full Version : Smoked SuperCyborg for brunch!

The Hedgehog
08-16-2009, 11:37 PM
That is what we had at the Emerald Coast Poker run. Went down to Destin to hand out with John and Deb in their Outerlimits 37. I hate to be a traitor (hay, I am happy to get a ride in the big stuff), but we just got finished smoking a Donzi 38ZR when we blew a Bam SuperCyborg tranny. John was squeezing it at somewhere around 105 mph when it let go. I guess that a loaded down Outerlimits with 15lb pulleys on big quadrotor engines proved too much for 1,500hp trannies.

Oh well, we limped back to the dock and went to lunch after the 2nd card stop. Got to see a bunch of cool hardware. The good news is that the nice people of Nortec had a spare tranny in the trailer. I can't say enough good things about them. After a few calls back and forth to Eddie Young (who found the tranny while we came back) and we were heading back to business.

I got a quick lesson in #6 while I helped John change it out in the dry pits (aka the hotel parking lot). I mostly handed tools and learned. By 11:00pm Sat night we had it changed. We would have been on the water the next day by breakfast if we only had the proper cooler. Oh well, it will be up and running in the am. Too bad Delta had to take me back home.

All in all though, the Destin Poker run is really cool.

BUIZILLA
08-17-2009, 06:23 AM
the Ferrari boat went 201? :eek:

MOP
08-17-2009, 06:53 AM
I am envious glad it turned out Ok, would love to go for a big ride one day!

Barry Eller
08-17-2009, 06:59 AM
With Tropical Storm Claudette warnings posted 4:00 AM Sunday, I don't think there was much running yesterday. I could hear the boats Saturday running the intercoastal waterway.

Last Real Texan
08-17-2009, 07:33 AM
With the enlarged sack comes some sack protocall...
first and foremost a tranny "sack guard" must be instAlled...
Without this crucial piece of safety equipment things will turn sout in a hurry...
Smoked trannies and damaged sacks go hand and hand without it.

Tex

The Hedgehog
08-17-2009, 08:37 AM
With Tropical Storm Claudette warnings posted 4:00 AM Sunday, I don't think there was much running yesterday. I could hear the boats Saturday running the intercoastal waterway.

Yeah, we started to scramble some more to finish the rest but just decided to enjoy the day instead. You can't complain at all about hanging out with some friends on the gulf.

The Hedgehog
08-17-2009, 08:39 AM
With the enlarged sack comes some sack protocall...
first and foremost a tranny "sack guard" must be instAlled...
Without this crucial piece of safety equipment things will turn sout in a hurry...
Smoked trannies and damaged sacks go hand and hand without it.
Tex

Actually the drive shaft sack guard was one of the larger PITA's to remove!:nilly:

On a positive note, it was the port engine and we could actually get to it without pulling the engine. There is something to be said about staggered engines.