PDA

View Full Version : Fire Caution two!

MOP
08-16-2009, 08:38 PM
A few weeks back I posted on the fire in the house next door to us, thought it would be a good idea to post the cause and the fire marshals advice. The fire was caused by an automatic spot light on the back of the house, it had two 100 watt spots which got hot and caused the wires to short within the house. The fire marshal said it was a fairly common thing for the auto lights to do this, most of us have them. I have two at our place and have LED spots, anyway switch to LED spot lights, they run cool to the touch make the same light only using 5 watts and last a lot longer. They run $15 each but cheap insurance when it comes to protecting your home & businesses.

Phil

BUIZILLA
08-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I bought 8 LED spots last week...

joel3078
08-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Got a cousin of mine who is a fireman in Greenbay, WI. They had a few houses go up from those little black brick power supplies that recharge or power small electronics. When they get old the insulation and/or wiring breaks down and shorts. Old stuff like answering machines, calculators, cordless phones, ghetto blasters, games/toys, lamps, etc. Old means 10+ years by the way.

MOP
08-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Very valid point which I have read about, we have so many possible fire demons in our homes & businesses.

Phil

Ghost
08-19-2009, 10:19 PM
I've taken to putting farms of those mini-transformers onto switchable power strips, and keeping them turned off if I'm not in the room. Admittedly, not 100%, but I started having doubts about the things a few years back. Sounds like there may be good reason.