PDA

View Full Version : 1970 Donzi 19' IO

Andy Holp
08-15-2009, 05:57 PM
I just bought a 1970 "fishing boat". I can't find any reference to this boat anywhere on line. It has a chevy straight 6 with a merc outdrive. It's titled as a '70 Donzi, red hull with a white top deck. I have photos, so anyone that can give me any info - tell me what is needed as far as description/numbers & I'll provide them. respond either here, or email wolfhaven1@centurytel.net.

Thanks, Andy

BUIZILLA
08-15-2009, 06:12 PM
welcome aboard...

perhaps providing pic's here would benefit you faster with your questions

any engine or drive identification info would be beneficial as well

the inline 6 Merc was a 160 hp setup, as long as it has oil in the pan you'll never blow it up..

Just Say N20
08-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Been lots of discussion about this boat at different times. It will be good to get some more pictures.

Andy Holp
08-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Tomorrow (Sunday) I will take more...interior, engine etc...where did the pics of "my" boat come from?

Andy

Been lots of discussion about this boat at different times. It will be good to get some more pictures.

Just Say N20
08-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Andy, I considered this boat earlier this year when it was for sale. The owner sent me the pictures I posted. :yes:

BlownCrewCab
08-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Tomorrow (Sunday) I will take more...interior, engine etc...where did the pics of "my" boat come from?

Andy

We where in your yard the other night after we heard you bought a Donzi, Don't feel bad or be shocked, We do it to every new Donzi owner...Nice House by the way..Is that New furniture??? What is that, Oak?????? Oh yeah, The grass needs cutting:kingme:

BigGrizzly
08-16-2009, 10:14 AM
God that was you hiding behind the side of the house. it was me under the boat, glad you didn't shoot that old relic you were carrying.

mattyboy
08-16-2009, 10:48 AM
just so you guys know when the new project gets here.

I go by the following motto

anyone found on the grounds at night will be found on the ground in the morning ;)

Andy Holp
08-16-2009, 03:00 PM
"Just so you know, having been in the yard & checking out the "new" Donzi, You were either veeeewy qwiet, or very lucky...we rescue "apex predators" AKA wolves...note the quote below......"

I go by the following motto

anyone found on the grounds at night will be found on the ground in the morning ;)[/quote]

Pismo
08-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Looks in good shape for a 1970. That merc R drive and the 6cyl will go and go...

Andy Holp
08-16-2009, 04:49 PM
We took it out this morning for the first time...ran Ok, hit 32mph with 2 people aboard & a full fuel load in a moderate chop. I found out I need a new battery...car batt. aboard now, getting a real marine deep cycle Monday. Took on some water - may be the outdrive seal..have to check that. Not enough for the auto bilge to kick in, but water never the less. Does anyone know what the gas tank holds? I found it under the front seats! Be fun to replace!

Looks in good shape for a 1970. That merc R drive and the 6cyl will go and go...[/quote]

olredalert
08-16-2009, 06:12 PM
-----I think most of our previous talk revolved around the deck as DONZI never had that deck design on its 19 or actually any other boat in its line. I cant remember what we eventually figured out. It appears very early Formula-ish. I do remember that I thought that even though the deck had been modified the job appeared to be done well. Maybe someone here on the board better at searches can pull up the prior thread.........Mr.Bill

Andy Holp
08-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Late, but I took some pics...the ones of the drive & engine didn't come out well enough...

Tomorrow (Sunday) I will take more...

Andy

Been lots of discussion about this boat at different times. It will be good to get some more pictures.[/quote]

Pismo
08-17-2009, 06:16 AM
Beautiful gauges, very vintage look.

Just Say N20
08-17-2009, 08:15 AM
Is there a "ridge" in the hull where the double white lines are, about 4" down from the rub rail, or is the hull flat?

Mattyboy refers to it as a CHARACTER LINE in the hull.

Andy Holp
08-17-2009, 01:53 PM
It's registered as a Donzi 19' - HIN ref???

MadPoodle;531732]What is it registered as? Donzi 19, 20 or what? Any HIN reference?

Andy Holp
08-17-2009, 01:53 PM
The hull is flat.

Is there a "ridge" in the hull where the double white lines are, about 4" down from the rub rail, or is the hull flat?

Mattyboy refers to it as a CHARACTER LINE in the hull.

olredalert
08-17-2009, 05:03 PM
-----I dont know, Poodle,,,I see the character line underneath the white stripe plainly........Mr.Bill

Andy Holp
08-17-2009, 07:00 PM
I was incorrect...there is a pronounced "character line" or "belt line" on her...The HIN (thanks) OHZ47225G870. State provided.

Hull Identification Number..

Realizing it's a 1970 the number may be quite short, or be a state issued number, just curious. The lack of the character line is an interesting twist..[/quote]

Andy Holp
08-17-2009, 07:05 PM
This Donzi has a shifting problem. Out of the water with the prop unloaded, it shifts fine..in the water under power (low rpm) I darn near have to use a crowbar to get it out of gear. The local marina here says the cables are probably ok - I need a "disconnect switch" that shuts part of the power off to let it shift. Anyone have any knowledge about this?

Andy

Morgan's Cloud
08-18-2009, 06:44 AM
This Donzi has a shifting problem. Out of the water with the prop unloaded, it shifts fine..in the water under power (low rpm) I darn near have to use a crowbar to get it out of gear. The local marina here says the cables are probably ok - I need a "disconnect switch" that shuts part of the power off to let it shift. Anyone have any knowledge about this?

Andy

Ahh , that great Merc invention that's caused more than a few boats to crash unexpectedly into the dock ......

A small easy part to change on the top / back of engine area near the transom .
You might have to fiddle with it a bit for best results .

BTW , imo this is another mysterious splash ....

Andy Holp
08-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Where can one of these be had? The local marina says it's out of production, but a "retrofit" may be available. I'd rather use an original.

I really appreciate the help you guys are providing...I guess I have a unique watercraft, even though she's almost 40 years old!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahh , that great Merc invention that's caused more than a few boats to crash unexpectedly into the dock ......

A small easy part to change on the top / back of engine area near the transom .
You might have to fiddle with it a bit for best results .

BTW , imo this is another mysterious splash ....

Morgan's Cloud
08-18-2009, 11:56 AM
That must be a pretty sporty marina ya got there .....:biggrin:
The shift interruptor switch is still used on all the Alpha units (to the best of my knowledge) and should be very easy to come by , especially for a dealer.

You can actually test yours by simply moving it by hand with the engine running .(No need to manually shift) If it's functioning it will make the engine stumble momentarily . If it's busted , nothing happens ....

Just Say N20
08-18-2009, 01:32 PM
My understanding must be a little off.

I always believed the interrupt switch was a latter addition to Mercruisers, as my 1979 18 2+3 didn't have one, and yet this 1970 outrdrive appears to.

I also thought they were to make shifting slightly easier by temporarily killing the engine, thus taking the load off the gears, and allowing them to disengage/engage more easily.

His description of how it was almost impossible to shift into gear, suggests to me something else is wrong.

..in the water under power (low rpm) I darn near have to use a crowbar to get it out of gear.

If it shifts easily with the engine not running (no load) I would assume then the cable is good.

Morgan's Cloud
08-18-2009, 01:47 PM
When my switch was out of adjustment it was near impossible to get it out of gear also.

I had some pretty old Merc stuff in mine when I got it , but I can't confirm what year the stuff was . I would have thought that if the Alpha and it's predecessors all had dog clutches , they would all have had an interrupt switch ..

joseph m. hahnl
08-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Item #17 interrupt switch

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=816596%2097&ivar=images/CRUISER/816596.97/22.png&inbr=2344&bnbr=230&bdesc=SHIFT+BRACKET+%28ALPHA+ENGINES%29

Andy Holp
08-18-2009, 07:03 PM
The problem I have is getting it out of gear approaching the dock & using reverse to stop us...once it's in gear, it's very difficult to pull the shifter into either neutral or reverse. Without a load on the prop, it's smooth as a babies butt...I have the printout from another poster & I can spot it below the shifter linkage. I'm going back to the marina tomorow & have him show me one...looks fairly easy to change...

My understanding must be a little off.

I always believed the interrupt switch was a latter addition to Mercruisers, as my 1979 18 2+3 didn't have one, and yet this 1970 outrdrive appears to.

I also thought they were to make shifting slightly easier by temporarily killing the engine, thus taking the load off the gears, and allowing them to disengage/engage more easily.

His description of how it was almost impossible to shift into gear, suggests to me something else is wrong.

If it shifts easily with the engine not running (no load) I would assume then the cable is good.[/quote]

Andy Holp
08-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Ok, I went on "scream & Fly" trying to find out if this boat had an actual name - like scorpion, or mud turtle or death ray...they refered me back to either you or buzilla.....any ideas???

We did NOT take it out today - lightning & humongous water spouts indicated no fish today...
What is it registered as? Donzi 19, 20 or what? Any HIN reference?