PDA

View Full Version : Just want to make sure Yes it's adumb question

Schnoogie
08-15-2009, 09:58 AM
1968 ski sporter:
Is the hull solid? I want to install a depth finder (glue in), I moved and am not yet
familiar with the waters.
I think it's easier to ask than to drill a hole to find out.

Just Say N20
08-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Solid hull, kinda. As I have been grinding on mine (1967) I have found little, tiny pockets without resin. But not too many.

It is all solid except for a small flat area in the center at the transom extending about 15" forward under the engine.

You should be able to "glue" the transducer to the hull with a degree of success.

lordviper13
08-15-2009, 12:46 PM
I am curious as to why you want a depth finder on that boat

yeller
08-15-2009, 01:43 PM
I believe he's asking if the hull is cored. I personally can't answer that question.

If no one responds soon, PM Mattyboy. He's the expert.

Just Say N20
08-15-2009, 01:58 PM
I answered his question. No, the hull in not cored. But there is the flat, built up spot in the center of the hull back at the transom.

yeller
08-16-2009, 11:25 AM
It is all solid except for a small flat area in the center at the transom extending about 15" forward under the engine.Ooooppps. Sorry, so you did. You only typed 3 lines and I still missed one. :bonk:

You sure you didn't add that after the fact, just to make me look bad. :wink:

ragbagger270
08-16-2009, 02:59 PM
DO NOT DRILL YOUR HULL. There is no need to plus the transducer will cause some drag and even handling problems. Use a "shoot thru hull" or "hocket puck" transducer. They are cheap, often included with entry level depth souders and work pretty well. Technology in these depth souders has come a long way. Just glue it down somewhere were the inside of the hull where it is fairly level. You can use silicone adhsive or expoy. Make sure there is no air between the transducer and the hull-note imortant. It will work very well unless you are in real deep water. The hockey puck transducer looses some range. But if the water is over 120', what the difference?

All the units have an offset you can program in to read "0" at the bottom of the hull or the drive or whatever you preference is.

These are great little units and you will find it very useful.

MOP
08-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Problem is you will hit stuff about the same time you see it!! Depth finder is only good when running slow or to help in finding fish. I get a kick out of a depth finder on any fast boat!

mike o
08-16-2009, 07:38 PM
:yes:Give yourself a kick.......:kingme: I wouldnt be without one. Came in handy exploring around 1000 islands, sebago, sunapee (today), winnie, LG.:yes:

Schnoogie
08-18-2009, 04:55 PM
yo MOP You preach the icon uninformed I said I was unfamilur with the waters meaning I will check before going balls out. I like life and I'm not planning on ending it soon, go work on the volvo. :)
Everyone else thanks for the input.

joseph m. hahnl
08-18-2009, 05:52 PM
:shocking:
yo MOP You preach the icon uninformed I said I was unfamilur with the waters meaning I will check before going balls out. I like life and I'm not planning on ending it soon, go work on the volvo. :)
Everyone else thanks for the input.

:uzi::bawling::fire:

It's OK Phil, we got your back:kingme:

Most people mount the shoot through just in front of the engine.

There are many methods of testing before mounting it permanently to the floor , But Mop probably wont tell you how to do it now :shocking:!!!!!!!!!!!

Schnoogie
08-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks again all even MOP he had a "fine" point .
It's just rear of the Battery well (liner) about 2" in front of engine (raw water pump, crank mount) and every thing works great.
Thanks again
G

Morgan's Cloud
08-20-2009, 07:00 AM
Solid hull, kinda. As I have been grinding on mine (1967) I have found little, tiny pockets without resin. But not too many.
It is all solid except for a small flat area in the center at the transom extending about 15" forward under the engine.
You should be able to "glue" the transducer to the hull with a degree of success.

thanks to this reply I finally can see what your avatar is all about ..... :bonk: !

Even though we went a bit astray on the replies ... yes .. solid ( but not TOO solid ) glass bottom . I've come to the conclusion that the raised bit on the inner hull bottom under the engine is either for mounting a bilge pump OR where the strut would be through bolted in a V -Drive installation..

Just Say N20
08-20-2009, 08:33 AM
thanks to this reply I finally can see what your avatar is all about ..... :bonk: !
Even though we went a bit astray on the replies ... yes .. solid ( but not TOO solid ) glass bottom . I've come to the conclusion that the raised bit on the inner hull bottom under the engine is either for mounting a bilge pump OR where the strut would be through bolted in a V -Drive installation..

You must have thought I was a very messy crack dealer, with a strange, mobile distribution vehicle. :yes:

I have always seen bilge pumps mounted on that flat surface.