PDA

View Full Version : Klub St Tropez >The working class Donzi<

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 11:39 AM
OK .. I hope I can get this right .....
After the "Magnum in the Boonies" a couple of observant folks recalled that I had made earlier remarks elsewhere about a massively long resto on the St T
and asked what that was all about .
I've finally scanned some pictures (sorry about the format .. the boat isn't the only old thing I own) representing just a fraction of what went on and later some digital newies of it out the other day .
For many , the St T is an unknown entity as familiar as they are with the C16 - 18 and 22's.
Oddly , the only other classic I have any real experience with is Benchseat Hornet C19-39 ...
Any and all questions will be answered with honesty and aplomb .... So will any flaming .... ! :biggrin.:
Here's a start .......
Flipping her over and starting on the deck .....

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 11:43 AM
let's see ......

Deck off and floor out .. old forward fuel tank ..

Notice the lack of good floor tub support ....

Decoring about to start on the floor unit.

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Some more ....

Recoring c0ckpit floor , old transom slug .. notice it appears that there was at some point a different cutout ... Hull ground and faired ready for major beefing up ... strakes puttied also.

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Also .....

C0ckpit tub ready for re-install ... Note the major cracks are now gone ...

It took a long time to figure out how to do the support thing but now have 8 per side unlike the very iffy 3-4 that it originally had.

Also ll of the floor inserts have been clompletly ground out and re-cored.

Inside of hull recvd a new skin of glass from the chine down .. 2 layers over the now puttied strakes ... New gussets where none previously existed and 4 incredibly strong and fully functioning bulkheads .. Only one before the resto ..!

New fuel tanks (not yet epoxy barriercoated)

Sorry , these are all coming up in the wrong order ....

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 12:02 PM
What else do we have here ?

Installation on new forward tank

fabrication of new battery platform and glassing inof floor tub.

Prepping transom cutout to be waterproof ...(bolt holes included)

Sealing hull / deck joint

hull ready for colour coat and naked reworked console ...

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 12:05 PM
And finally ...

Lowering engine in and new transom plate.

New fuel manifold and how I fixed the lifting ring problem ..(Before the extensive thread began ...... :kingme:)

Rear fuel tank and console ready for rigging ........

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Hopefully the (soon to come) completed pics will show some of the intricasies of the St T and how Donzi really had to cram things into such little space ....

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Hopefully these will be a bit more user friendly ....

The battery had to go somewhere , and it's jammed up against the transom under the (very usefull) storage wells .

The trim pumps are under the wells on the port side.

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 12:49 PM
One of the things that makes the St T so appealing is it's ability to swallow up lots of boating stuff . If I told you what was in mine , you wouldn't believe it looking at the uncluttered interior .....

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 12:51 PM
"naked engine box"

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 12:54 PM
And here's what it keeps hidden ........
A Volvo 5.7 Gi freshwater cooled . Internal hydraulic steering. DPS-A drive
F-7 propset . 280 PSHP .

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 12:57 PM
The finished console ... The prep work that went into this single part alone was incredible.
The bottom had to be cleaned up and strengthened and the pre-primer prep alone was weeks worth of labor ... Thankg gawd it was 'free labor' :bonk:

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 01:01 PM
The upholstery and this 'bling' was my treat ... I figured that I had saved such a huge amount doing it myself that I could splurge !

The light is a bit funny in this , but they are stainless ... not gold ...

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 01:04 PM
The engine height is an inch and an eighth above 'standard' hope this is usefull for anyone later down the road ....

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Looking a bit more like a boat now .....

Morgan's Cloud
08-14-2009, 01:40 PM
I'll put the last ones up when I get back on Monday ...

BTW .... there is not a square inch of this boat , in or out , that I haven't touched or reworked in some way ... not an inch ...

I found no ID number anywhere !

olredalert
08-14-2009, 04:59 PM
------That is one fine CC.........Mr.Bill!!!

farmer tx
08-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Great thread! Thanks for taking the time to post this. Looks like it came together beautifully.:worthy:

Conquistador_del_mar
08-14-2009, 10:41 PM
What a fabulous restoration! Actually restored to better than new in terms of the structure. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. Bill

Morgan's Cloud
08-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Thanks guys .. it's just nice to have it back in one piece again ....
Here's what it looks like in the water .....

Morgan's Cloud
08-17-2009, 06:51 AM
:biggrin:

It actually runs !

Morgan's Cloud
08-17-2009, 06:54 AM
By the way ... This was an 'all epoxy' job .... No regular resin here !

Although I could have got about 7 gallons of regular resin for every one of epoxy it was amazing stuff to work with and you can do so much with it .

The bond with the stuff is unbelievable as well .

olredalert
08-17-2009, 09:23 AM
------Those are some really great pics in that super clear Bermuda water. Makes me want to make another trip out there. Last time I was 14. Been a while:eek::eek:!!!.........Mr.Bill

Morgan's Cloud
08-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Actually Bill , that's in 'dirty inshore' waters .... :biggrin:

Seriously though ... If you were last here when you were 14 you'd notice a LOT of changes and very few of them for the better.
I'm the last person who'd be walking around with stars in my eyes calling the place 'paradise '... We've got some serious problems out here now.

By the late 70's early 80's it was all over / starting to go downhill..

Morgan's Cloud
08-17-2009, 11:35 AM
I was really hoping that you wouldn't find that graphic 'cause I just knew you
were gonna stick it here ! ! :nilly:

Tank
08-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Hay nice photos good to see you out in it!
You did one NICE job:yes:
I just spent 4 day in Barnegat bay NJ very dirty after all the rain we had:wink:.
You have some good looking water down there!:shades:
Now hang on stay safe!
Tank

HOWARD O
08-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Really enjoyed looking and reading about your St. Tropez, thanks for posting all of that! What a gorgeous boat! :yes:

Morgan's Cloud
08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
I was wondering where you were Brian ...

Now , does that give you a bit of inspiration ? :eek:

Hopefully you can see what one of these things looks like when they're gutted to their basic three component parts . I had to pick just a few from dozens of 'work in progress' photos as I didn't want to make a tedious thread.

Notice that I have the weird 'two tank configuration' that I can't seem to find anyone else with.. and it appears to have left the factory that way.

The odd but very functional stern rail was on the boat when it arrived here but is no way a factory original piece . I also added the cleats .. after all , it is a 'working class' boat...
Pretty much all of the rest of the hardware is original barring the obvious new gauges.

I could tell when I got it that it originally had the old 'Donzi script' metal lettering but they were long gone ... Had the super nice new ones been available then I probably would have gone with them .

I recall reading many years ago the ST T referred to as "the industries' first 19' centre console".
I know the Bertram 20 C/C (the Sportsman) was available then but was a 20 and I don't know if the Mako 19 and Aquasport 19 counted as outboards.
Maybe Bill knows something about this ............

How is yours coming along ? How did you make out with the rear storage bin/hatch dilemma ?

Steve

BERTRAM BOY
08-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Wow. She is trully stunning!!!

72Hornet
08-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Your St Tropez is absolutely amazing! Congratulations on a truly rewarding restoration. I want one now to match my Hornet and it is even the right color!