PDA

View Full Version : Livorsi Compass

brwn234
08-14-2009, 11:32 AM
When I first used the boat I noticed the compass wasn’t very accurate and would rotate back and forth erratically. Didn’t pay any attention to it because I never used it. Now it barely does anything. It stays at 225* I’ve tried using the installation and compensation instructions from Livorsi with no luck. I’ve tried unplugging the sensor from the back of the display and reinstalling it. The dial will try to move maybe a degree but then do nothing. When I ground the brown wire to compensate I get no reaction, dial does not go to N like it's supposed to. Every once in a while the compass will spin for 1-2 seconds and then wont do anything for days. When you turn the ignition on the gage will move about 1 degree and do nothing. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this? It's got power but aside from that I don't know what to do.

here is the livorsi instructions:
http://www.livorsi.com/pdf/GIC.pdf

Dr. David Fleming
08-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Hey there was a great show on the History Channel last year about marine compass and how they work and were made. Livorsi gets them from Richie who makes compass in New England. You could contact Richie or Livorsi for trouble shooting.

The biggest problem with compass is magnetic abiration - did you like put something steel or iron near the compass sending unit. This is a serious no no also any coiled wire forms a magnet. Electro magnets are created by winding wire around a soft iron core. Did you install any electrical equipment, motors or fields near the compass sending unit.

My donzi has stainless steel screws on the dashboard powdercoated black - not good to replace them with steel coated iron oxide screws - you are supposed to keep all electrical fields and steel objects at least 3 ft away from the sending unit and or compass. Stainless is not magnetic as is all copper, bronze etc. I moved my remote compass sender into the engine compartment, bad move, worked great until the engine was started then couldn't read a thing on it.

Call Fred Ortega he is the trouble shooter at Livorsi - know his stuff.
Hope this helps, Dr. D

brwn234
08-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Doh....So storing an 8lb anchor in the footwell next to it wouldnt be a good idea. Didnt even think of that. I'll try removing it and see if it works. It's basicly is unresponsive now. I hope I didnt damage it by keeping the anchor so close, probably 1.5' away. I emailed Livorsi to see if they had any input. thanks

Dr. David Fleming
08-14-2009, 12:17 PM
My god man! you need a bread crum trail if your anchor is next to the compass. What kind of Donzi is this anyway and you must have the romote compass - sounds like a little classic or a 22ZX.
Dr. d

brwn234
08-14-2009, 01:40 PM
22zx, No need for a bread crumbs, I have a GPS but figured if I could get the compass working that'd be cool too. Compass sensor is in the foot well of the cabin on the starboard rear corner. Maybe I should relocate the sensor. I thought about relocating the anchor and storing it in the engine compartment but that would be very very inconveinant. If I cant store it in the cabin and it won't work in the engine compartment where could I put it.

Dr. David Fleming
08-14-2009, 03:56 PM
So is your 22ZX factory equipped with a compass in the foot locker or did you add it?

My 22ZX has it on a plastic shelf just in front of the stearing gear. If you take the dash loose you can look into the dash area and turn it to calibrate it. The compass is mounted on the third dash panel - right over the door. It is a Gaffrig that matches the other instruments. Works good but seems to move slowly between W and N - like it takes its time. I did fiddle with the calibration a couple of times and its a lot better than it was.

Dr. D

brwn234
08-15-2009, 09:42 AM
I would assume mine is from the factory, It's a white faced/bezeld livorsi that matches the factory Gaffrig II's, mounted in the 3rd "pod" over the door. I like the idea of installing it under the steering wheel. I could access that area using the small hatch under the steering wheel and installing a small platform. Your ZX must be a later model when they got smarter about install. Mine is a '00. Can you post a pic of where your sensor is installed. I'll get a pic of mine either tonight or tomorrow. I'm going to make sure I can remove the anchor and get the compass to work correctly before I go through the hassel of moving everything. I have a hunch there is something else wrong.

joseph m. hahnl
08-15-2009, 09:57 AM
I have a hunch there is something else wrong.

According to your manual it needs constant 12 volts any spike will cause it to malfunction. You should check the voltage with a meter on the sensor as well as from the sensor to the gauge.I would also try a manual ground "alligator clips on both sides of a wire" clip one side to the key and the other to each ground on the sensor and gage or even both at the same time.

Hopefully it's just your anchor but if not, this might help diagnose it :crossfing:

good luck:shades:

Carl C
08-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Well the ducks would appreciate the bread crumb thing.............:lookaroun:

Dr. David Fleming
08-20-2009, 10:41 PM
brwn 234,

My 22ZX in a 99, - do you have the Gaffrig hour meter on the back of the firewall in the engine compartment? Well my compass shelf is the same 1/4 black plastic sheet material heated in the stove and bent 90 degrees. It is attached with 4 stainless screws just ahead of the steering system on the inside of the dash on the cabin wall. Its in the same place you would find a compass on a larger Donzi ZX.

Livorsi could not use the Gaffrig name after 1999 because of a law suit with Gaffrig. I have seen so many different rigs on 22ZX that I think some of these rigging variations are just the decision of the riggers at Donzi.

Dr. d

brwn234
08-24-2009, 09:52 PM
No hour meter on my ZX, it was an option and mind didnt come with it. Under the rear seat there is a row of breakers and a master battery switch. There's also an empty spot labled for the hour meter with plastic cut outs still in place.

I think I will try to relocate my sender to the spot yours is in. Thanks for the help.