PDA

View Full Version : Bravo1 cutout

axelkloehn
08-13-2009, 03:09 AM
Hi folks, can anyone give me two measures for a transom cutout I want to do this weekend?
I need the distance from the center of the bottom drilled holes to hull-bottom (see attached pic, sorry George for nicking it) for a bravo one.

Are their any experiences with setups? Bit higher- bit lower- or exact bravo fin or else?

It's a GT21 with bravo one, bb or small block not decided yet. Does the weight of a bb have influence on the setup compared tom a small block?

Might be stupid questions but since today I just had boats which had the cutouts already...

thx, Axel :germany:

Pismo
08-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Go 502 big block, you will never regret it. You may a small block.

Love the GT21....

axelkloehn
08-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Go 502 big block, you will never regret it. You may a small block.

Love the GT21....

oh yeah, if I can find one for a reasonable price... there is one at ebay for sale, complete and from 1996- but all crankshaft bearings gone, needs work but could end up quite cheap. We'll see...

mrfixxall
08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
oh yeah, if I can find one for a reasonable price... there is one at ebay for sale, complete and from 1996- but all crankshaft bearings gone, needs work but could end up quite cheap. We'll see...

Here ya go,a complete set up:)

http://www.speedwake.com/newclassifieds/showproduct.php?product=1458&cat=4&limit=views&date=1214180562

MOP
08-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Your cut out depends on your hull design and what you want out of the boat and most important resale! A small block will please most that do not need to go faster then the rest of the pack, an SB will get you into the 60's and give you great economy, a BB depending on dollars spent can pop you into the 70's. Ok all that being said, my opinion for what it is worth. Thinking about your particular hull, 16" for a basically all around setup I think would work well. Due top the milder V of you hull for performance with either an hiper SB or a mild BB that would not kill resale I would not go over 17", I feel the margin is a little slimmer due to you hull configuration. I am sure there will be more input!!

Phil

gcarter
08-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Axel, MOP is talking about the distance from the keel to the CL of the drive shaft, not the dimension you were asking about.

axelkloehn
08-14-2009, 02:21 AM
Axel, MOP is talking about the distance from the keel to the CL of the drive shaft, not the dimension you were asking about.

Of course, 17" would be a bit to much otherwise, wouldn't it? :wink: But you're right, I WAS indeed wondering at the first moment.

Thanks for your help, Axel :germany:

axelkloehn
08-14-2009, 02:26 AM
Here ya go,a complete set up:)

http://www.speedwake.com/newclassifieds/showproduct.php?product=1458&cat=4&limit=views&date=1214180562

Jesus, that will get me boat flying.... :wink:

MOP
08-14-2009, 06:59 AM
George is right I gave a crank center that is how the "X" is determined, you should borrow or rent the Merc jig. Trying to do it without the jig can turn into a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrfixxall
08-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Jesus, that will get me boat flying.... :wink:

i dont know how it is in hamburg but here by the time you piece all the parts together,engine,gimbal housing,steering,trim pump,engine,exhaust,drive,etc,etc,etc,etc......... ............this is a whole package with the its set up with the hydrolic steering rams attached to the gimbal....17 k is a really good price :)

axelkloehn
08-14-2009, 02:35 PM
i dont know how it is in hamburg but here by the time you piece all the parts together,engine,gimbal housing,steering,trim pump,engine,exhaust,drive,etc,etc,etc,etc......... ............this is a whole package with the its set up with the hydrolic steering rams attached to the gimbal....17 k is a really good price :)

yep... the only thing which worries me is the 8000 mls trip to pick it up :wink:.
If I can find a deal like this in good ol' germany I would consider it. Thanks anyway, Axel :germany:

axelkloehn
08-14-2009, 02:44 PM
George is right I gave a crank center that is how the "X" is determined, you should borrow or rent the Merc jig. Trying to do it without the jig can turn into a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, I'm so firm working with epoxy and fibreglass nothing bothers me.... anyway, I took my Bravo drive as reference, should work. But you're right- a cutout bit too big and I can start all over again :bonk::eek:

Pismo
08-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Your cut out depends on your hull design and what you want out of the boat and most important resale! A small block will please most that do not need to go faster then the rest of the pack, an SB will get you into the 60's and give you great economy, a BB depending on dollars spent can pop you into the 70's. Ok all that being said, my opinion for what it is worth. Thinking about your particular hull, 16" for a basically all around setup I think would work well. Due top the milder V of you hull for performance with either an hiper SB or a mild BB that would not kill resale I would not go over 17", I feel the margin is a little slimmer due to you hull configuration. I am sure there will be more input!!

Phil

Having a larger engine is about much more than top end. Top end is the least important benefit of a larger engine IMO. It is about cruising smoothly at 2500rpm all day at a nice speed. It is about planing easily always with as many people on board as you want. It is about having an engine that is underloaded all the time rather than overloaded. That is why to get a larger 502 type engine.

Scott Pearson
08-18-2009, 06:55 AM
The back of this hull is pretty much the same as a Hornet...You better be very careful on how high you go on the X Dimension.... 17" is way outta line! If you go that high you WILL ruin the ride of this boat. If you use the 90 degree tool...Bravo One is only 13 9/16...thats stock. The Max you can raise the "X" on a Bravo One is 3 inches. On this hull I would not go more then an inch above the stock "X".

axelkloehn
08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
The back of this hull is pretty much the same as a Hornet...You better be very careful on how high you go on the X Dimension.... 17" is way outta line! If you go that high you WILL ruin the ride of this boat. If you use the 90 degree tool...Bravo One is only 13 9/16...thats stock. The Max you can raise the "X" on a Bravo One is 3 inches. On this hull I would not go more then an inch above the stock "X".

Yes, me too, I think max. 14"- 14.5" is enough. Wish me luck, will cut out next weekend :wink: