PDA

View Full Version : Trying stay strong and keep my boat

zimm17
08-12-2009, 09:13 PM
My parent's are pushing me to sell my beloved Donzi.

I'm on deployment right now (2 months in with 4 to go). I'm currently stationed in Hawaii with my 22 classic hibernating in my parent's backyard in Virginia. My wife and I decided to stay for another tour in Hawaii after the current one- so it'll be at least 4-5 years until I have a chance to get to my boat. Well my parent's are pushing me to sell it. So far I'm resisting- and trying to stay strong.

Reasons to keep: Now that I'm married, I'll probably never be able to buy another performance boat. If I ever got another big block, I'll NEVER be able to buy a blower for it (she's pissed I bought the one I did right before we got married). I have waaaaay too much money invested in it (whipple blower, imco lower, external steering, livorsi dash, dana exhaust and throttle, stainless marine indicators, etc, etc). It does need a new long block, but I figure $6k and I'm back to running 90mph. Nothing beats the big block sound in a Donzi. I like impressing people and turning heads when I pull up to a dock full of bayliners and fishing boats. I want to be able to keep wearing my donzi t-shirts without being a poser. My 4-runner with a 7200# towing capacity can't handle much larger of a boat.

Reason to sell: $12-15k back in my pocket, less to worry about, saves me $6k on a new motor, allows me to buy a bigger boat in the future (wife wants a porti potti) and a fishing-type boat with an outboard would allow me take more people out, the dog, SCUBA dive, and take a real sized cooler. Also a fishing type boat is a hose it out and your done type affair- and winterizing is cake with an outboard. Going 90mph in a classic is more risk than I need to be taking with myself.

I figure when it's finally boat rescue time- it'll need a new long block, fuel discarded and replaced, new batteries, new trailer tires, and that should be about it. Probably $6-7k to have my boat back to the way it was.

If I did sell it- I was thinking $12,995 for the boat as is with just the long block and accessories still in the boat, $13,995 if I include the dana exhaust, $14,995 with the whole EFI blower setup too.

I know this is a Donzi forum and the concensous should be "keep it!", but I need some help from the board!

Donzi Vol
08-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Hmmmmm...this is a tough one. I suppose it all comes down to what you're getting out of it. Obviously right now that wouldn't be much. However, if you feel that 4-5 years from now you'll hop right back in it and enjoy it, then you might regret selling it. Of course if all you're getting out of it is a depreciating asset that you won't enjoy as much as you would right now when you're back around here, then it's probably time to let it go. The only big problem you have (IMHO) is what you have invested in it. You've got quite a bit of coin invested in it to let it go for 12-15k. However, if you look at it from an opportunity cost standpoint, then you should sleep a little easier. By this I mean that if you figure any $$ that you will be losing between what you have in the boat and what you can get out of the boat was worth every penny in fun and so forth, then money shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Now if it were me, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I would probably let it go. 4-5 years of the boat sitting would be 4-5 years of stuff deteriorating vs. someone getting some use out of it. And of course there's no way of knowing for sure that you'll never have another powerboat. You might not have one quite so hardcore as this one, but for the money you're looking to put into the boat when you get back, you could just about have another one that's fun for the family and will still pull 60-70. But I digress.

Think on it, but make sure that it's YOU who makes the call. If you allow family to make the call for you, and it's the wrong one, you just might end up blaming them for a regret down the road. Good luck!

All the best,
David

gcarter
08-12-2009, 09:53 PM
No matter what you do now, things will change when you're in your 40's and 50's, or haven't you noticed that most of the members are in that age group?
So don't assume things are ever static, because they're not.
Good luck, no matter what you decide to do.
But I'm with MP, keep it if you can. If it's under cover and protected, it'll hold up pretty well.

lakeside
08-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Fix it and enjoy it. Hawaii is a great place to have a boat that size. That boat ought to fit in a container and I bet getting a container shipped there is less than you think.

lakeside
1967 - 16

zimm17
08-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. You guys are right in that you can never plan the future. Everytime I've ever bought a car, motorcycle, etc before I got to a new location- it was always the wrong thing. Brought a bronco to san diego- the land of 80mph freeway driving, so sold it for a 300ZX took it to hawaii where I couldn't go over 55mph and got sand in the leather, bought a CJ-7, but then in Pensacola with a 20mile freeway commute, had to sell it for another sports car. So bascially, I need to just get a toy for the current time and place. The Donzi rocked in Pensacola, but was out of it's element in Virginia beach- the lower chesapeake is no place for a 22 footer. (Although I got it out the inlet to the atlantic a couple of times)
Then the other part of me says $12k isn't really much money in the grand scheme of things. Maybe I could have two boats some day- a practical boat and keep the donzi as "dads toy". But again, I'm trying to forecast the future. But I do know I'll eventually need something with a head, room for the some-day kids, and I like to take the dog out on the water.
Damn....

Oh and I checked on shipping quotes- $2800 from Washington D.C. to San Diego. Another $4500 from San Diego to Hawaii. So that's a no go. I can get a 17' center console with single outboard for $15k in hawaii.

Ghost
08-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Good luck, no matter what you decide to do.
But I'm with MP, keep it if you can. If it's under cover and protected, it'll hold up pretty well.

Ditto that. Best wishes either way. Not sure there is a right and wrong answer. I'm probably a sap for saying it, but hope you can enjoy the best parts of the decision either way you go.

-Mike

glashole
08-13-2009, 06:20 AM
this is obviously a for sale post

and you already have your mind made up

sell it

get what works right now

get another one if it ever fits again

mphatc
08-13-2009, 06:43 AM
Sounds to me like your parents don't want the boat in their yard for the next 4 years . . which is understandable . . BT and had to deal with it myself years ago.
Also factor in that any boat or car stored 4 years, especially wrapped up outdoors will require more work and $$ when you take it out of hibnernation, and that the $6-7K now will be $8-10 4 years out . add the insurance for the next 4 years, (imagine a hurricane and a tree crunching it) . . . plus the boat depreciates over time.
A lot is going to change in your life in the next 4 years, you just got married, I suspect your younger than the average cross section of the board members here . . . . you can always get another . .
Once you settle down and own a home, toy acquisition is much easier . . :yes:

Mario L.

1969 Corsican
1968 Magnum 27

f_inscreenname
08-13-2009, 07:43 AM
If you want I will hold it for you. You may also want to give me the title just in case.:shades:

Barry Eller
08-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Sell it. Yes, it may be hard to get the price you are kicking out there, but as stated earlier, you can get another one. Just sitting for that long a time will be not good for it or your parents. Selling it may also be good for your marriage too! (advice from a man that has gone down the aisle 3 times)

Carl C
08-13-2009, 08:14 AM
I agree that 5 years of outdoor storage will take a heavy toll no matter how well it is wrapped.........Now if you could get it indoors........

VetteLT193
08-13-2009, 08:19 AM
I honestly think if you can stick a basic big block in it you could sell it easily for a minimum of 12k (hopefully more like 15k+) then sell the blower and any other stuff separate.

As far as sell or not sell goes. Sell. Anything mechanical that sits around falls apart. All of the stuff that slowly deteriorates that you would normally handle 1 at a time will all fall apart at the same time. You're better off selling it then doing it again someday.

Tidbart
08-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Not that this helps but, my 22 came with a porta-potti. :toiletpap:):bonk:

Lenny
08-13-2009, 09:39 AM
We spent a month in Hawaii in May. There is no way you are going to find many ( any ) DONZI days out there. :( The place has huge swells most of the time and almost EVERY boat there has a distinct bow and twin OB's ( for safety I guess ) I would not want to be out there with a broken down boat and 8" of freeboard thanks... I won't get into the sharks and stuff here...

Sell it and go down this path again in 5 years if you wish to. You might have a pile of kids to deal with then too and want a 'toon boat, or a fish boat, or a center console, or a cruiser. I think your boat will be worth more now than it will in 5 years.

gcarter
08-13-2009, 11:48 AM
FWIW, when I said "under cover" above, I meant inside and under cover, not outside and covered.

Ya probably should get what you can for it, or part it out (sell the goodies), or whatever's good for you.

chrisc2
08-13-2009, 01:03 PM
I agree w/ GHole. I would consider waiting until next spring to put it on the market. Hopefully the economic conditions will be better then.

Cuda
08-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Well, take this from a guy who sold two Donzis. The Minx because I bought the 22, and they were so close for use, and the 22 because I needed the money. So, unless you need the money, don't sell it if you like the boat. I get post partum depression when I have to sell a boat.

Don't believe that crap about storing boats outside. I've had my fishboat since new in 1988, it's always been stored outdoors, and other than a little dust, it's as good as it was the day I bought it. I've let it sit for a couple years between usages before.

zimm17
08-14-2009, 05:55 AM
Thanks guys for all the advice. It's outside, but under one of those big driveway sized awning cover things, then it has my sunbrella cover on the boat It's pretty well protected. My dad put a big dehydrator thing in the boat to combat moisture. I pulled the blower and exhaust- that's sitting in the workshop where they won't get messed up. The block is just rusting in place, but it's worthless.

Makes a lot of sense to keep an eye out for a low hour 454/502 and put that in. Then at least it works and will be worth a lot more.

OSO has a 330hp 454 for $2k, that's an option, but I'd rather have a magnum that I can upgrade in the future. Heck, it ran 72mph with the stock 385hp 454 before the blower.

Besides, I think I can swing buying a center console for hawaii without selling the donzi- especially if I can get something for $15k which is low payment. I'd sell that when the time comes to move back to the states.

The real reason I have to keep it is that it's the last real toy that I own. New wifey made me sell the diesel F250 monster truck (lawyers don't ride in redneck trucks with 37" mud tires she tells me) so I got a V8 4runner which is pretty fun. I sold the motorcycle on my own, but still looking for another. The boat is all I have to tinker with and pride of ownership is more than worth it all. I'm poolside in Singapore using my donzi coozie right now...

f_inscreenname
08-14-2009, 06:07 AM
Makes a lot of sense to keep an eye out for a low hour 454/502 and put that in. Then at least it works and will be worth a lot more.

OSO has a 330hp 454 for $2k, that's an option, but I'd rather have a magnum that I can upgrade in the future. Heck, it ran 72mph with the stock 385hp 454 before the blower.
I've got a complete 454 gen 5 from fan to clutch yoke, I would trade you for a clean Gen 4 block.:yes:

BUIZILLA
08-14-2009, 06:21 AM
I've got a 330 shortblock running takeout, just needs basic overhaul...

Barry Eller
08-14-2009, 06:58 AM
If you mixed vodka with orange juice and milk of magnesia, would you get a Phillips Screwdriver?

Only if you use "Phillips Milk of Magnesia":hijack: Sorry for the hijack, if you drank too many of them...WHOA, I'm not going there!

The Hedgehog
08-14-2009, 07:04 AM
Sell now vs take more depreciation etc....we can debate that all day but in the great scheme of things it will only amount to a few grand. Yes, you may be a little better off starting over later but this sounds like an emotional barrier. Also consider that things will be more expensive in the future. Economically speaking, we can not borrow this money without inflating our currency.

Sounds to me like your wife might not be totally pro-toy. She may be one of those "thank goodness he got rid of that" wives.

If your wife is anti-toy, then fight to keep it for all its worth. It sounds to me like that $10k or so you won't get to put in your pocket now will be worth it in the long run because you probably won't be allowed to get a new boat when you get back. Sounds like you need to keep all of the goodies too for that matter.

I am with Cuda on the storage. As long as it is covered and not facing a bunch of oxidation, you will be fine. Keeping it dry like you are doing is wise.

I would beg and thank my folks profusely!

Cuda
08-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys for all the advice. It's outside, but under one of those big driveway sized awning cover things, then it has my sunbrella cover on the boat It's pretty well protected. My dad put a big dehydrator thing in the boat to combat moisture. I pulled the blower and exhaust- that's sitting in the workshop where they won't get messed up. The block is just rusting in place, but it's worthless.

Besides, I think I can swing buying a center console for hawaii without selling the donzi- especially if I can get something for $15k which is low payment. I'd sell that when the time comes to move back to the states.

The real reason I have to keep it is that it's the last real toy that I own. New wifey made me sell the diesel F250 monster truck (lawyers don't ride in redneck trucks with 37" mud tires she tells me) so I got a V8 4runner which is pretty fun. I sold the motorcycle on my own, but still looking for another. The boat is all I have to tinker with and pride of ownership is more than worth it all. I'm poolside in Singapore using my donzi coozie right now...
Have a Singapre Sling with an umbrella in it. Don't worry about it rusting. I've yet to find an engine that was so frozen up that I could soak the cylinders in Marvel Mystery Oil and get it to turn over. My first boat was a 1972 23 foot John Almand with a V 6 Buick engine that was frozen. I bought it from Eckerd College where it had been donated. There is no telling how long that engine had set frozen. Took me about a month trying to get it to turn over, usising everything imaginable. I filled the cyls with MMO one evening, the next morning I hit the starter, and oil flew everywhere!

I don't know what's in MMO, but it is marvelous.:cool:

It you oiled it all down first, oil won't evaporate.

BigGrizzly
08-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Keep it, you won't be able to afford one later

Donzi Vol
08-14-2009, 03:23 PM
I've yet to find an engine that was so frozen up that I could soak the cylinders in Marvel Mystery Oil and get it to turn over.

...I don't know what's in MMO, but it is marvelous.:cool:

I've got one for you to try :)

Cuda
08-14-2009, 03:36 PM
I've got one for you to try :)
Unless you have bent con rods or crank, I bet I can get it to turn. You should have seen the Minx engine when I got it. It was froze tighter than a bulls azz during fly season.

Barry Eller
08-15-2009, 06:08 AM
Unless you have bent con rods or crank, I bet I can get it to turn. You should have seen the Minx engine when I got it. It was froze tighter than a bulls azz during fly season.

Cuda, Zimm's engine has a rod sticking through the side of a cylinder wall. Look at his avatar. Marvel Mystery Oil won't help his engine. He needs a complete block assy.

Cuda
08-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Cuda, Zimm's engine has a rod sticking through the side of a cylinder wall. Look at his avatar. Marvel Mystery Oil won't help his engine. He needs a complete block assy.
I didn't know he had bad issues with the engine. I'd still keep the boat, and repower.

Donzi Vol
08-15-2009, 10:59 AM

Haha. We can give it a try, I guess. I'll let you know how it goes.

Now, back to the question at hand. What do you say, zimm? Have you come up with anything yet or are we just making it harder on you? :wink: