PDA

View Full Version : Can someone make sure this is right?

HyperDonzi
09-25-2002, 06:14 PM
For speech class we have to do a demonstration speech. I chose to do mine on gapping spark plugs. Part of it is going to be on reading the plugs. Can someone verify that this info it right?

I. Plug reading
A. Oil Fouled
1. Caused by oil entering cylinders, through rings, or valves.
B. Over Heated
1. Caused by an over advanced ignition, over lean air/fuel mixture or a leaking intake manifold.
C. Insulator Glazed
1. Caused by the plug heating up rapidly from a quick acceleration. Normal combustion deposits are melted to the tip.
D. Pre-Ignition
1. Normally caused by having a plug with to high of a temperature range.
E. Splash Fouled
1. After new plugs are installed on a high mile engine, combustion temperatures are restored and deposits on pistons or heads might be burnt onto the plug surface.
F. Detonation
1. Caused by ignition timing too far advanced, too lean of an air/fuel mixture, insufficient octane rating of the gasoline or to much ?boost? from a turbo charger, blower or a supercharger.
G. Carbon Fouled
1. Caused by an over rich engine condition, likely a clogged air filter.

Thanks
Tommy

Tidbart
09-25-2002, 06:32 PM
You are a busy little beaver today.

Info looks good, but I have to run.

Go to this site, it is loaded with info on plugs. You can verify all the info yourself.
I am not doing your homework for you. :D :D

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/overview.asp

Good luck
Bob

HyperDonzi
09-25-2002, 06:35 PM
been there along with here, http://www.tsrsoftware.com/read-plugs.htm Just making sure they were right.

CDMA
09-25-2002, 06:52 PM
Hyper,

How often do you get the " rate limit" screen when you post???

Chris

HyperDonzi
09-25-2002, 06:58 PM
I have never seen it. Surprising isnt it?!?!

only 6.(some odd decimal) post's a day.

Donzigo
09-25-2002, 07:32 PM
Carbon fouled plugs.
Carbuerator could be just adjusted too rich
Maybe air filter clogged; but probably not
Idle air mixture adjusted too lean rich

Tips:
Plugs need to be snugged, not tight
Good idea to put anti seize on them
Never pull the wire off by pulling on the wire
Gap gets wider in time, so gap accordingly

I hope it helps.

HyperDonzi
09-25-2002, 07:57 PM
anti seize? whats that?

Donzigo
09-25-2002, 08:28 PM
PERMATEX - Anti Seize, it's good stuff.

HyperDonzi
09-25-2002, 09:25 PM
What does it do? Protect the plug?

Donzigo
09-25-2002, 09:46 PM
It guards against the plug being cranked on too tight and makes it easy to take out. Also good for putting exhaust manifolds onto the block. The bolts come out two or three years down the line like better.

gjohns6896
09-25-2002, 10:56 PM
Make DAMN SURE that when you use anit-seize you only get it on the threads, and NOTHING else! It is also very messy.

I rebuild washing machines from time-to-time, and we use a TON of the stuff...once anti-seize is applied, the threads will always be easier to loosen. Mine comes with the rebuild kits that I use, and it is always a grey color. I don't know if that is the only color it ever comes in, but make sure you have plenty of rags around...you WILL need them Did I mention it was MESSY?!?!?!

Cheers,
George

ToonaFish
09-26-2002, 12:00 AM
Um, has it occured to anyone else that no one in his classroom will have a clue as to whether the spark plug information is correct?

Kudos to you for making the extra effort to get it right! And best of luck keeping their attention with such an explosive topic!