PDA

View Full Version : Knee (right) question... burst bursa sac

Lenny
08-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Well folks, it seems that Sunday afternoon, while crawling up on the deck of the X-18 to lean over the bow to untie the two ropes from the buoy that I got a SHARP pain in the knee. I have no previous injuries ( there :) ) Anyways, no biggy, carried on as usual and a group of us went out for a huge run and went to three different Island pubs and had a blast. Well, Sunday night it was unbearable once back on land, it is the size of a grapefruit and was VERY hot. Yesterday, similar but I can walk fine on it but the pain on/in the kneecap is brutal. Today, Tuesday, it is not as hot but I can not EVER imagine kneeling on anything ever again with the current pain.

So, do any of you have any experience with this? and will it heal itself so that I do not have to slither everywhere in the distant future ?

mrfixxall
08-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Well folks, it seems that Sunday afternoon, while crawling up on the deck of the X-18 to lean over the bow to untie the two ropes from the buoy that I got a SHARP pain in the knee. I have no previous injuries ( there :) ) Anyways, no biggy, carried on as usual and a group of us went out for a huge run and went to three different Island pubs and had a blast. Well, Sunday night it was unbearable once back on land, it is the size of a grapefruit and was VERY hot. Yesterday, similar but I can walk fine on it but the pain on/in the kneecap is brutal. Today, Tuesday, it is not as hot but I can not EVER imagine kneeling on anything ever again with the current pain.

So, do any of you have any experience with this? and will it heal itself so that I do not have to slither everywhere in the distant future ?

My sister is a (dr) bone cracker,,lenny pack your knee in ice till the swelling goes down then go see a doctor asap..you may have cracked your knee cap..

yeller
08-11-2009, 12:15 PM
...you may have cracked your knee cap..Ouch! That hurts just thinking about it.
I know it cuts into your cabin time, but if it's swollen, don't be old school and 'tough it out'......go see the doc.

Just Say N20
08-11-2009, 12:30 PM
A bursa is a small fluid-filled sac lined by synovial membrane with an inner capillary layer of slimy fluid. It provides a cushion between bones and tendons and/or muscles around a joint. One such bursa is located on the outside of the knee, and provides a surface for the illiotibial band to slide across. This band attaches to the hip on one end, and the top of the lower leg at the other. When inflamed, it is very painful on the outside of the knee joint, and depending on the severity of the injury, the band may actually feel like it is grinding, rather that sliding across the bursa.
As you can see from the attached picture there is another bursa below/beneath the patella (knee cap). I don't know what the symptoms are for problems with this one. Either way, ice it to control the swelling, and get to see a doctor asap. Get a proper diagnosis, so appropriate treatment can begin sooner, rather than later.

BUIZILLA
08-11-2009, 01:18 PM
find the pic of me at AOTH and look at my knee's while I was sitting on the back of the truck and you'll see something similar...

gcarter
08-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Bursa......is that related to bursitis?
So there're some in the shoulders? Maybe elsewhere?
I was involved in a head on collision about five years ago and got a case of bursitis in my left shoulder after the airbag went off and so much of the impact energy was absorbed by the shoulder belt over my left shoulder.
Doc put me on a regimin of steroids....9 the first day, 8 the second, and so on. I was gaining and losing 9 pounds a day. Pretty uncomfortable.

Ghost
08-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Go directly to the doctor, or at least call now.

My wife went through this about a year ago, we were away and she didn't want to see a doctor on vacation. The result of which was waiting a few days and then they could not drain it, and it had to empty itself. MUCH longer to heal.

Plus, as people have noted, if something else is wrong, you need to know that too.

Lenny
08-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Deneen just took me for a four mile "row" around the island. I sat in back and drank beer. :D The swelling seems to be going down a LOT, I can touch the knee cap, and as far as I'm concerned, my body is absorbing the fluid. :)

I won't be kneeling anytime soon, nor will I be on "top" :D , but I think today it has turned the corner.

No docs for me, even if it is free.

Gotta go fill the X up with gas again, it will be a slither thing up to the bow.

Man, this $isses me off, I never wreck anything :smash:

Thanx ALL. :yes:

Ghost
08-11-2009, 03:49 PM
I'll make one more plea, forgive me. My wife's looked a lot better after a day. Like, oh, half the swelling is gone.

Then, it slowed to a snail's pace. After a week, she went to the doctor, but it was too late to drain it. Took almost a month to fully go away after that.

Sorry to nag, just arming you with the info I'd want if it were me. Hopefully it's better shortly.

CHACHI
08-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Bursa......is that related to bursitis?

Yes.

Ken

CHACHI
08-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Lenny, now you know what gout kinda feels like.

Ken

yeller
08-11-2009, 07:01 PM
I sat in back and drank beer. :D The swelling seems to be going down a LOT, I can touch the knee cap, and as far as I'm concerned, my body is absorbing the fluid. :)Which fluid. It's probably the first one....and the reason you're feeling better. :D

No docs for me, even if it is free.Normally I'd be with ya on this one, but not this time. Get it checked.:yes:

Carpe Donzi
08-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I have been suffering since early this year. Right knee only. Xray showed a little water on the knee, and suggested an MRI. Really did not know how I did this, but it has been building over some time.

Finally figured it out. I'm 54 and have always owned and driven smaller cars, mostly low to the ground. Latest is an Audi TT, with blood-red leather. Getting into this car, and many others, is generally one of two ways. Plant the right leg near the accelerator, then insert the rest of you. Hurts like hell because I'm slightly twisting the right knee when swinging in. Adapting means to climb in like a girl is a short skirt - plant the butt in the seat and swing both legs in at once.

Motrin is the only thing that eliminates the pain and swelling. One pill three times a day. Have to get that MRI and a british car so my left knee matches.

BUIZILLA
08-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Finally figured it out. I'm 54 and have always owned and driven smaller cars, mostly low to the ground. Latest is an Audi TT, with blood-red leather. Getting into this car, and many others, is generally one of two ways. Plant the right leg near the accelerator, then insert the rest of you. Hurts like hell because I'm slightly twisting the right knee when swinging in. Adapting means to climb in like a girl is a short skirt - plant the butt in the seat and swing both legs in at once.
I have an Audi A4 Avant Quattro wagon... I'm glad i'm not the only girl entry motiff... :lookaroun:

Lenny
08-11-2009, 10:19 PM
I slithered up to the bow of the X at lunch and went to get gas and then about a three hour run to EVERYWHERE... Feel much better :D Almost put it on its back once (ok, twice :) I was alone. Deneen and I just laid a couple of crab traps (other boat) about 10 miles from here. Nice sunset run back to the dock. Steaks and fixins on the Barby.. all is good.

I am going to suck it up, but, this is the first time I have actually HURT anything to any degree.

Poodle, next time your knee pops out, phone me, I will fly down and buy a ton of stuff, we'll drink and race R/C boats on Cutler Main :D