PDA

View Full Version : Could you get a Donzi with a 440 big block Mopar?

Malicious
08-11-2009, 08:12 AM
There's an old, mint, yellow Donzi on our lake with a rumored 440 power plant. This boat is super cool and I want it but after a little research I see that some had 454's with 440 HP and maybe there was confusion.

I need to be educated, thanks.

Carl C
08-11-2009, 08:17 AM
I never heard of a Chrysler engine in one. There was a 340 hp 454, never heard of a 440. Who knows, talk to the owner.

Malicious
08-11-2009, 08:23 AM
I never heard of a Chrysler engine in one. There was a 340 hp 454, never heard of a 440. Who knows, talk to the owner.
I would love to but havent seen the boat in about 10 years. I'll ask the guy at the marina if he knows anything.

gold-n-rod
08-11-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm pretty sure that motor came out of a Special Anniversary Redhead Monzi Donzi Baby!
Check out the tag:
http://nationallampoon.com/files/2009/07/blurry-sobriety-check-point-sign.jpg

BUIZILLA
08-11-2009, 08:42 AM
you didn't mention what model, but there were some 440 six pack's in a few... :cool: I believe our resident librarian's can confirm :yes:

Malicious
08-11-2009, 08:44 AM
you didn't mention what model, but there were some 440 six pack's in a few... :cool: I believe our resident librarian's can confirm :yes:

I am not a Donzi expert by any means. It appears to be a mid 60's to early 70's model. It is yellow.

Thats all I know. 440 six pack would be bad ass....

mattyboy
08-11-2009, 09:32 AM
yes they put mopar power in a few they even used buick power in a few
is this an I/O boat or a v drive???

Malicious
08-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Not sure.

Any idea how many of these were built or what it might be worth?

olredalert
08-11-2009, 05:12 PM
-------Yes, you could special order just about any engine combo you desired back then. There is a guy on Cape Cod (at least he used to be) with quite a collection of old original Mopar powered DONZIs. He kept them all in Maine or New Hampshire somewhere and used to tell me that the resto of boats was going to be his retirement project. He should be retired by now. Wonder what happened to him.......Bill S

Malicious
08-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Is this one of the original few ?

http://www.fastdonzi.com/classifieds/donzi_gt_21_sleeper-o425-en.html

olredalert
08-13-2009, 07:46 AM
-----Be aware that any add that purports a 21GT to go 90 with a V-drive is already misleading. Get the HIN as Poodle says and post here and you will know.........Bill S

mrfixxall
08-13-2009, 10:06 AM
-----Be aware that any add that purports a 21GT to go 90 with a V-drive is already misleading. Get the HIN as Poodle says and post here and you will know.........Bill S

So would this trend be misleading also,claims 114 and its 3 feet shorter..

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47419&highlight=mellow+yellow

Dr. David Fleming
08-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Karl Keighoffer (sp) who started Mercury raced Chrysler 300's for a couple of years in NASCAR racing. Mercruiser started after he was bought out by Brunswick who took over Mercury Marine. Brunswick went with GM power also some Ford, for their new line of Mercruiser sterndrive engines.

Actually Johnson Motors invented the sterndrive in 1930 but it died in financial hard times. Jim Winn, Mercury and Donzi executive in the 1960's reinvented it and sold it to Volvo but because he was working for Mercury they had a claim to his professional work and Volvo and Mercury never contested the sale of a Mercury idea in court. Don't those execs cover their ass! This is why Mercruiser is sold as Volvo today. "Everybody gets some, why fight in court."

Chrysler Marine was produced in Marysville, Mi in a special production facility that also made the Street Hemi for passenger cars - this plant was shut down years ago.

Dr. D

Just Say N20
08-14-2009, 10:54 AM
This is why Mercruiser is sold as Volvo today.
Dr. D

I don't understand this statement. Volvo and Mercruiser outdrives are completely different. What are you saying?

olredalert
08-14-2009, 11:23 AM
------MrFixx,,,Slightly different situation here. The GT21 has a statement in an add that is, in my opinion, not factual. I was warning a potential buyer about that aspect of the add. The 18 was a very nice lady looking for factual info. She wasnt looking for a discussion about speed. No matter what I think (if what I think is even relavent) it isnt the proper forum. By the way I dig her husbands (now sons) boat a lot. :shades::shades::shades:.........Mr. Bill

mattyboy
08-14-2009, 11:31 AM
for those interested here is a short story on the stern drive

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/pat/isd.htm

another good story is from Brownie when he took the first 16 equipped with a volvo aquamatic to the jacksonville boat show and he was courted by the lake X guys to stop by on his way home with the 16 so they could see what it was all about ;)

remember the volvo is left handed( well actually ambidexterous) merc had no answer to that back then so the left handed helm 16 and 18 and other donzi either had to be v drive or volvo :yes:

Dr. David Fleming
08-14-2009, 12:10 PM
This stuff about Mercruiser and Volvo is covered in the biography on Carl Keighoffer (sp) the book is titled "The Iron Fist."

Today if you have a Volvo 8.2 you have a Mercruiser 502 engine with a HP500/525 fuel injection set up. It is built slightly different, oil filter mount bracket is different etc. and Volvo uses their sterndrive.

The first Donzi Classics had Volvo stern drive because Donzi Exec, Jim Winn worked for both Mercury and Donzi and he sold his sterndrive invention (reinvention) to Volvo. The first winning Donzi racers were Volvo powered. They won in Europe and everywhere - this is the Donzi rep. All this is in the Don Arrnow (sp) biography. Mercury found out what Jim Winn did and wanted the sterndrive idea and since Jim was a Merc Engineer they had a legal claim to what he invented working for them. Did he have the legal right to sell it to volvo. They should have sued but didn't.

Surviving Johnson Motors sterndrive which gave Jim Winn the idea can be seen in Thousand Island Museum in upstate NY and is also covered in the "Iron Fist" biography on Karl. He had a sexy mistress/secretary also.
Hope this helps, Dr. D

Just Say N20
08-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Thank you.

It's Carl Kiekhaefer. :cool!:

Dr. David Fleming
08-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Man the guy had a huge ego. He was a driving force. Mercury is what it is today because this guy left a lasting impression on the company. His temper was legendary as was his appetite. He fired people with enthusiasm and rewarded them just as quickly. When he ran Mercury Outboards he would have an Evenrude engine hanging over a bonfire just to make sure the employees got the message. He left Mercury with a lasting image of quality and SPEED!

Mercury is an arrogant expensive pain in the a... company today. By the way Mercury Racing is being run by Carl's grandson - Thats why it is a moving force in world racing.

By the way, the reason Jim Winn sold the sterndrive to Volvo was because Carl said it was a bunch of crap. Then he sold the company to Brunswick and became a multi millionare but without his company he was lost. Brunswick realized sterndrive was the way of the future and had to go get the idea back from Volvo - said Winn was their man and they stole it. Volvo made peace and so Merc and Volvo share a lot today.

You guys with old Donzi's - the volvo is the historic setup if you can keep it running - when they are antiques folks will be putting all the Volvo stuff back in your boats. Got to be original to be worth money - all the stickers all the stuff exactly as it was built - you know the numbers matching issue. Keep it original for history and don't throw original stuff away.

Dr. D

CHACHI
08-14-2009, 08:18 PM
I thought Fred K was Carl's son?

Ken

Dr. David Fleming
08-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Yah, I guess it is his son, just running a thread here not doing a historical or literary research. I'm glad Fred is around or the big boys would be really hard up for serious Mercury Racing power. GM don't look like its going to be much help. Donzi in taken over, Formula out of business, Wellcraft shut down. Crane down and taken over - Merc Racing looks like its giving us some solid but expensive product.

Dr. D

Planetwarmer
08-14-2009, 10:52 PM
What do you mean Formula is shut down? Did they go under?!?

BUIZILLA
08-15-2009, 07:27 AM
we got some mixed up facts being beamed down...

Bob
08-17-2009, 07:08 PM
The answer to the question "Did Donzis come with Mopar power as standard equipment" is yes.

My 1971 Hornet has a stock 440 SIX PACK. (Foil tag matches the engine casting numbers.) Mike Devilins 21 GT (which I have also seen) has the same engine. Both are V Drives.