PDA

View Full Version : Interesting man I met with a cool story

Planetwarmer
08-10-2009, 10:55 PM
I was at a gas station filling up the 22C when a man, probably in his late 70s pulled up. He wanted to check out my boat.

The man explained to me that he used to have an 18 2+3 which he purchased brand new from the factory on "Thunder Boat Row". As he was pulling out of the parking lot with his brand new Donzi, he was stopped by Don Aronow which appearantly had been watching from across the street. Don said "you don't want that Donzi, you what you want is my newly designed 26 foot Cigarette. I will trade you that new Donzi for this new Cig 26". The man who just bought the Donzi said that he would think about it and let Don know. Well, he went back 1 year later and traded Don that 18C for a brand new 26 foot Cigarette.

The man that I spoke with indicated that it was a straight across trade, but he didn't come right out and say that, so I am not positive.

Keep in mind, I live in Oklahoma where Donzis are few and far between. The people who live in Oklahoma that have actually met Don A. are fewer still. So that makes it a unique story here where "the wind comes sweeping down the plain".

Conquistador_del_mar
08-11-2009, 12:08 AM
I actually found out about Donzis back in the late 60s at Grand Lake O' the Cherokees (Grand Lake) in NE Oklahoma where a family had one for each of their 3 kids near where my grandparents had their dock. The fact that someone in Oklahoma would know Aronow and Donzis does not surprise me, but trading a 26' Cigarette for an 18' Donzi sounds a little strange :bonk:It would have been a done deal if Aronow had proposed that to me. Bill

Planetwarmer
08-11-2009, 02:06 AM
I talked to this man at a filling station 2 miles from grand lake.

I know what you mean. I would have swapped him right then and there too!

Conquistador_del_mar
08-11-2009, 10:37 AM
I talked to this man at a filling station 2 miles from grand lake.

I know what you mean. I would have swapped him right then and there too!

You didn't happen to get his name - did you? There were many wealthy oil men up in that area back in the 60s - Aronow might have been trying to get one of his Cigarettes exposed to the Grand Lake crowd. It was the Adams that I mentioned having 3 Donzis - one for each kid. He was the president of Phillips Petroleum before my grandfather became president/CEO. Bill

Planetwarmer
08-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I didn't get his name. There is still A LOT of money on Grand Lake. Tulsa was the oil capital of the world, and there is still a lot of old money in this part of Oklahoma. Grand has some incredible boats running around, just not too many Donzis for some reason. There are a lot of MTIs, Skaters, Cigs, and Formulas. That may be due to the fact there aren't any Donzi dealers within a reasonable distance.?.:confused:

It is funny how someone will pull up in a $750,000 dollar MTI and say how nice my 22C is.