PDA

View Full Version : Donzi: Galvanized Fuel Tank

axelkloehn
08-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi folks,

does anyone have experience with Donzis galvanized fuel tanks from late 60's to early 70's, especially GT21?
My boat has not been in use for several years and you cannot look inside it. What's the best to do without removing the whole deck and replacing the tank? Any suggestions?

Cheers, Axel :germany:

gcarter
08-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Hi folks,

does anyone have experience with Donzis galvanized fuel tanks from late 60's to early 70's, especially GT21?
My boat has not been in use for several years and you cannot look inside it. What's the best to do without removing the whole deck and replacing the tank? Any suggestions?

Cheers, Axel :germany:
After it starts to leak, nothing.
Usually the problems are outside the tank, not inside.

axelkloehn
08-09-2009, 12:22 PM
After it starts to leak, nothing.
Usually the problems are outside the tank, not inside.

Ok, that means fill it up with some gallons and see what happens, right? If nothing happens it should be ok or do I live on borrowed time? You can't really see how the outer surface looks at the bottom or sides, I can just check front or back...

cheers, Axel :germany:

gcarter
08-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I would encourage you to replace it.
Those tanks have a reputation for failing.
It would require removing the deck, but when you start modifying the boat for the Merc outdrive, you'll appreciate the fact it's open.
It's really a lot easier to remove the deck than you would imagine.

axelkloehn
08-09-2009, 02:12 PM
I would encourage you to replace it.
Those tanks have a reputation for failing.
It would require removing the deck, but when you start modifying the boat for the Merc outdrive, you'll appreciate the fact it's open.
It's really a lot easier to remove the deck than you would imagine.

Ok, I'll consider this, but if I remove the rear transversal stringer is it possible to pull the tank out backwards? Just an idea, space in the engine room should be enough for the length of the tank...

gcarter
08-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Ok, I'll consider this, but if I remove the rear transversal stringer is it possible to pull the tank out backwards? Just an idea, space in the engine room should be enough for the length of the tank...
The problem is, there's two frames....the one you're reffering to, and one at the rear end of the tank that retains the foam. It's not really accessable under the floor.

At the end of the day, you have to decide just how you're going to do this resto.....:confused:

axelkloehn
08-09-2009, 02:31 PM
The problem is, there's two frames....the one you're reffering to, and one at the rear end of the tank that retains the foam. It's not really accessable under the floor.

At the end of the day, you have to decide just how you're going to do this resto.....:confused:

yeah, that's right. I leave it like it is for the moment and will see what else pops up during the resto, maybe it is better pulling the deck. George, thanks for your help. Axel

gcarter
08-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Can you find a tag on the tank?
It should be a foil tag either up at the front of the tank or at the rear.
It has a few details about the tank, like capacity, material, build date, and mfgr. It would be one of two or three mfgr's.

axelkloehn
08-10-2009, 02:23 AM
Can you find a tag on the tank?
It should be a foil tag either up at the front of the tank or at the rear.
It has a few details about the tank, like capacity, material, build date, and mfgr. It would be one of two or three mfgr's.

...gonna check when I am working at it next time.

Morgan's Cloud
08-10-2009, 07:00 AM
Axel , don't mess around , do what George is politely telling you ... TAKE THE DECK OFF AND REPLACE THE TANK ! :biggrin:

Your restoration is almost of the size of building a boat from scratch ... when you're finished , in retrospect, removing the deck will have been a small part of the job. It will also facilitate the removal of the old one by miles , you'll see ......

If you have spent ANY time on this site previous to signing on you will have seen that the topic of fuel tanks in any Classic over 18 years old comes up as regularly as flu season comes around every winter. Yours will have to be replaced , trust me . And the time to do it properly and easily is now !

Take your time and do this right , any corners you cut now WILL come back to bite you where the sun don't shine later .

Steve

axelkloehn
08-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Axel , don't mess around , do what George is politely telling you ... TAKE THE DECK OFF AND REPLACE THE TANK ! :biggrin:

Your restoration is almost of the size of building a boat from scratch ... when you're finished , in retrospect, removing the deck will have been a small part of the job. It will also facilitate the removal of the old one by miles , you'll see ......

If you have spent ANY time on this site previous to signing on you will have seen that the topic of fuel tanks in any Classic over 18 years old comes up as regularly as flu season comes around every winter. Yours will have to be replaced , trust me . And the time to do it properly and easily is now !

Take your time and do this right , any corners you cut now WILL come back to bite you where the sun don't shine later .

Steve

ok, ok, I got it :boggled: