PDA

View Full Version : Do Volvo Drives Slip?

DonziBuoy
08-08-2009, 07:19 PM
I was out on the LI Sound today, and although there was no wind, I was dealing with 4-6 foot boat wakes. To have a moderately dry ride, I kept my 16 Ski Sporter at around 2000 RPM which is just about when the boat gets up to plane, keeping the bow high. I drove this way for about 1/2 hour.

As I got into calmer water, I pushed it up and as the RPMs rose, the boat stayed at the same speed, like it was a slipping clutch. Not wanting to hurt or worse, destroy the boat, I slowed down to idle, and after a couple of minutes put it in gear at 1000 RPM. The boat seemed fine, all the gauges were fine, so I took her up, and she got up on a plane, no problem, and it seemed the problem went away.

Has anyone else ever had this experience? I have a Hi-Po 350 with a volvo 270 outdrive.

Oh yes, is there someone out in LI with a white/red sweet 16 and a dog as passenger, I want to say "hello." It is a rare moment to see another 16 in LI.

hardcrab
08-08-2009, 07:38 PM
sounds like you may have picked up a piece of trash on the I/O and cavitated the prop. then shook it off at idle ??

Just Say N20
08-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Agreed. Broken outdrives, and spun prop hubs don't heal themselves.

If it happens again, usually a couple seconds in reverse will shed the debris.

f_inscreenname
08-08-2009, 10:02 PM
I third what said. My last trip out I couldn't get the boat to trim right. Kept flopping over on one side or the other. It was trash.

mattyboy
08-09-2009, 06:52 AM
weeds trash seems i recall someone picking up a plastic bag then a bill for a new motor learn to watch more than the tach ;)

BigGrizzly
08-09-2009, 09:33 AM
ditto on the above

DonziBuoy
08-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Well then, I am going with trash too - sounds a lot better than what I have been thinking.

Jim

BigGrizzly
08-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Jim does it go in reverse? usually when clutches go it doesn't go in foward but goes in reverse. Some times zap the throttle, it will engage.

DonziBuoy
08-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Jim does it go in reverse? usually when clutches go it doesn't go in foward but goes in reverse. Some times zap the throttle, it will engage.

Yes, it does go into reverse. On another board, I have commented that it goes in reverse almost like i was slipping the clutch, and then it catches, again, like I let out the clutch.

Another issue I have had, is the prop does not seem to be grabbing much after 3500 RPM, again, like it is just spinning. However, between 1000 to 3300 RPM, it is very strong and fast. I have yet to take it past 4000 RPM - just scared I am going to blow the drive, and I don't know why. I touch the volvo and it is cool. My experience with Merc outdrives with a hard run, is they would be warm.

Should I be OK?

BigGrizzly
08-10-2009, 10:17 AM
OK the clutch is glazed. It can be taken out and lapped to the other mating surface. What I usually do id lap both forward and reverse in then flip them do the reverse cone and its matting surface is the forward cone and mating surface. I even do this on new ones. Both our 16 and Corsican have been done. works great. Just make sure you clean akk the surfaces really well befor reasembly or you will be lapping the bearings too:bonk:

MOP
08-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Post a shot of the cone when you get it out if the labyrinth is all worn away I have a new cone out in my stash. You know I won't be back in town until the 6th, I will check in here off and on.

Phil

DonziBuoy
08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Big Grizz, and MOP, you talk to me, like I am a fellow mechanic?! to that I say 'HUH?' All I know is the engine is attached to the outdrive.

Lap? Glazed? well at least I know it is n't something I am doing wrong. I think I will leave it up to the pros, and if I can come out when Phil gets back, that would be the best.

However, that explains so much, and I can't wait to get it up to spec.

In the meantime, can I still use the boat?

I took it out yesterday, finally a calm day, and the prop grabbed. I got up to 4000 RPM bringing her up slowly. 4000 RPM is so fast, and about as fast as my 18 with the 350 Merc at 5200 RPM The boat ran like a champ - until the temp gauge went up to 190 from 150. I idled and the Temp went back down, and again, checked the engine, everything looked ok, so guessing I am a victim of garbage in LI Sound.

BigGrizzly
08-12-2009, 10:27 AM
over heat, where is the trim setting in the farthest hole out. this some times poses an issue with overheating. Of course if you do not have a Thermostat this could also be an issue. My boat has a transom pick up. when I tee ed it into a lower unit pickup and shut off the transom pick up temporally the same thing happened. I only wanted the lower unit pickup to heep water in the impeller when coming out of the water. Yes leave it to the pros if your not a techee.

DonziBuoy
08-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Big Grizzly and MOP, I have been checking on other boards, and apparently this is slipping is a common problem with volvo 270. One guy recommended getting limited slip oil with W40 and that can help the problem - again, no explanation how that works, but I am guessing the friction will "unglaze" the cone:bonk:. One said to put a little graphite oil in the drive :confused:. ANother guy said, this has to be taken apart and the cone/clutch have to be reset together, which is not an easy task as there are special tools involved - Said it would cost somewhere between 700- 1000:nilly:. You guys were right on in your assessment.

My question is, can I still use the boat prior to the drive overhaul, if I take it easy - Finally MOP, I would rather throw some business your way when you get back. It would be nice to have this boat up to "good" before the season ends. I have given up on assuming the boat was fine when I purchased, and have taken on the belief pretty much everything is wrong, and lo, people do not tell the truth:mad: when selling something. I have to say after 1000 in repairs, it is becoming a nice little boat. What I would give to have your mechanical talents.

MOP
08-14-2009, 06:52 AM
Those drives have run perfectly well with 30wt for 30 some odd years, I think some of the newer oils can make them slip. Plus I am still not sure if it is the cone or the prop hub that is the issue, I know Randy asked if it ran in reverse. It is near impossible to load it up enough in reverse, you need to change rotation and prop to load it in the same manner.

Phil

BigGrizzly
08-14-2009, 09:28 AM
First NO graphite. The glazing is common to all the drives not just the 270, as seen by you. as for anti slip oil, don't do it. if it does work it I would be surprise. The reverse thing is because reverse is used less qand has less stress, that is why it is the last to glaze. Now the clutch is exactly the same style in either mode. The new drives use 90w which is what I use in the 290, the 16 still uses 30 wt. Don't listrn to quick fixes, they always bite you in the end.

DonziBuoy
08-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Randy and Phil, I hear ya! This has to be done right and that is the way I am going to go - For what it is worth I took it out for a little while, flat calm, and no strain on the outdrive, she was fantastic, finally got my speedo working, and clocked 57 at 4000 RPM, and that was just for a few seconds. I can only imagine what she will do with the right prop and outdrive all sorted out.

joseph m. hahnl
08-15-2009, 10:25 AM
The boat ran like a champ - until the temp gauge went up to 190 from 150. I idled and the Temp went back down, and again, checked the engine, everything looked ok, so guessing I am a victim of garbage in LI Sound.

190 is not an over heat it is optimum operating temperature. If it Goes up in the 200's then there could be an issue.

Phil knows best, I think if you can hook up with him your troubles will be gone:crossfing:

TD
08-16-2009, 04:24 PM
I lurl around here but don't post much anymore. I had Poodles old 18 and had a verysimilar problem when I put a 26 Ultra on the 280 Volvo drive. I tried many things, but the one that ultimately fixed the problem was removing the torque steering tab just behind the prop. It trned out that my prop was blowing out when it reached a certain RPM. The tab was only around a 1/4 inch from the prop. GO figure .......... But after removing it, I never had a slippage problem again. Maybe this won't apply to your situation, but it worked in mine
Good luck!
Terrell:boat:

DonziBuoy
08-20-2009, 03:22 PM
I just put a washer/line cutter in. I have a bronze, probably from an inboard, 21 pitch Ennis which seems to be great until I get to higher RPMs. I have been taking it out and I am convinced the clutch has a glaze as it seems to have all the traits (see above). however, I have not taken it up to high rpm s until recently - she seems more able to get to higher RPMs when there is no stress (no rough water).

I was also thinking that the prop is very big and maybe at higher speeds, she is catching air.

Jim

MOP
08-20-2009, 03:31 PM
You still have the possibility of the prop airing out at speed!