PDA

View Full Version : Prop testing day... in a storm...

Lenny
08-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Well, Yeller (Glen) dropped off three props for Fogducker (Jeremy) to try. ( today ) We got us some great wind, seas, the works. Well, he just went by, stopped to chat for a second. The Labbed Bravo 27" is a bow steering disaster, he cannot lift it whatsoever with the shortie and Scorpion. Anyways, he is in his foul weather gear :bonk: goggles etc... I will let him chime in later with the numbers. Prop #1 sucks. This IS a day to carry the bow, a lot :D

Lenny
08-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Well, bailed out on that idea. Too rough, Jeremy went back to the LaserII in order to stay afloat and right side up.

Better day needed.

Update, he just called, lost a bolt from his tabs and is taking on water :( Bilge pump on and he is heading back to the launch to get it out, in a hurry.

Planetwarmer
08-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Try this project another day!

BigGrizzly
08-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I hope he got home safely.

fogducker III
08-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Home safe, a little wet and sore, it was very rough in certain spots at certain times...:eek:

Lenny, I have told you a MILLION times not to exagerate...:wink:

Yes the 27 four blade is not the prop for the boat, but as I told Glenn(Yeller) when he dropped the props off, I kinda knew my boat is not a four blade boat....nice meeting you BTW Yeller.

So after trying the prop we realized the weather was not the best and was not going to get any better, so I headed into a local dock and got "old Faithful" back on the boat. Headed out and halfway back to Lenny's cabin the boat started to list to the starboard badly, I tried to correct with tab, nothing, I shut down and opened the hatch, about a foot+ of water in the bilge :eek:

I turned on the pump and tried to quickly get on a plane, no chance... problem was too much water I thought, I let the bilge pump catch up to the "leak" there were two obvious spots where water was coming in, and it was a good volume flow....I again tried to get on a plane, we sort of managed a half plane listing right over onto the starboard gunwale, man we must of looked funny.......:boggled:

Got back to the boat ramp, I dropped my nephew quickly off at the dock and he ran to the truck and backed straight down the middle of the ramp into the water, he did a damn fine job...I drove onto the trailer and out he drove, total retreival time, about 30 seconds....

Turns out we basically ripped off the starboard trim tab, four of the 10 bolts were gone and that is where the water was coming in. Also BOTH trim tabs were locked fully down...??? Turns out the breaker up under the dash went, not sure if all this was related or???

Took the mess home, spent the next hour cleaning it up and replacing bolts and nuts etc and were back on the water.:wrench::)

There appears to be no damage to the hull itself, amazing how stainless bolts shear off like that.....so went and said hi to Lenny, Deneen and their guests.....sorry I didn't call back when we got off the water Lenny, by the time we got home, cleaned up the boat, dried ourselves and had something to eat, we crashes pretty early. So all is well, and I even have pictures of the retro "love den" they call their "cabin" :wink:

Will post them shortly...........

fogducker III
08-09-2009, 12:02 PM
So here are a few pictures of the day, I am sure Deneen won't mind if I post some pictures of their cabin, after all, Lenny keeps it SPOTLESS.............:eek:

A fun day was had by all, thanks again for the hospitality!!!

The cabin looks smaller from the outside then it actually is.....:confused::yes::wink:

PS. Am I back in your "good books" Buiz....I got pics.....:bonk:

BUIZILLA
08-09-2009, 04:49 PM
i'm almost afraid to ask what the teepee is for..

HOWARD O
08-09-2009, 05:11 PM

Me too! But a very cool roofing job. Is that your shingle work, Lenny? :)

What caused the trim tab to almost completely rip off??? :nilly:

boxy
08-09-2009, 05:22 PM
It's for Lenny's pet polar bear .....

fogducker III
08-09-2009, 07:15 PM
It's for Lenny's pet polar bear .....

I heard he was getting a tiger....:eek::wink:

Not sure what caused the trim tab failure, didn't feel like we hit anything....:confused:

yeller
08-10-2009, 12:01 AM
... The Labbed Bravo 27" is a bow steering disaster, he cannot lift it whatsoever with the shortie and Scorpion. Anyways, he is in his foul weather gear :bonk: goggles etc... I will let him chime in later with the numbers. Prop #1 sucks. This IS a day to carry the bow, a lot :DActually, the 4 blade I left was a stock 27P Hydro Q4. I kept the Bravo (also stock). The "labbed" prop I left isn't really labbed, it's a 29" Tempest + repitched to a 28.

Cabin looks great. Highly doubt I'll have any time this summer, but hopefully next summer I'll be able to run up there for a visit.

roadtrip se
08-10-2009, 12:18 PM

That's the guest suite for when the RTSE's come a visting!

FG, man, instant tab removal is quite the accomplishment. You better not be treating my old shorty the same way, it was gently used when you got it! (Said with straight face)...

Looking for Mirage+ 29 Canadian cash in the mail..

fogducker III
08-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Canadian funds were sent last Thursday, you should receive it shortly, I had arranged with Yeller testing these props before I decided to buy yours, I wanted to try them and see if in fact I could turn that big a wheel....:crossfing: I spun the 27 four blade effortlessly, just didn't ride right, next time out I will try the 29 (actually a 28) Tempest, see what that does, finally a 29 Mirage Plus, if I can spin that and get the right feel, I am sure I will be happy with yours....:yes:

I am by no means "abusing" any part of the boat, running it hard yes, abusing, no....:wink:

That's the guest suite for when the RTSE's come a visting!

FG, man, instant tab removal is quite the accomplishment. You better not be treating my old shorty the same way, it was gently used when you got it! (Said with straight face)...

Looking for Mirage+ 29 Canadian cash in the mail..

farmer tx
08-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Do you think the tabs being stuck down may give you some erroneous testing results?:alligator

Air 22
08-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Well, Yeller (Glen) dropped off three props for Fogducker (Jeremy) to try. ( today ) We got us some great wind, seas, the works. Well, he just went by, stopped to chat for a second. The Labbed Bravo 27" is a bow steering disaster, he cannot lift it whatsoever with the shortie and Scorpion. Anyways, he is in his foul weather gear :bonk: goggles etc... I will let him chime in later with the numbers. Prop #1 sucks. This IS a day to carry the bow, a lot :D

Mercury Racing doesnt make a 27 Bravo One? they are even pitch 22-36?http://www.mercuryracing.com/propellers/bravoisterndrive.php

Lenny
08-10-2009, 08:24 PM

That is a "kids playhouse" my dad built about 20 years ago when we all had young kids. (1's and 2's etc) It is an original Oak wine barrel turned into a playhouse and the roof was done to match this place here locally.

Pretty neat little kids zone from a long time ago.

Here is a link of what he copied. The "Wes" character seems a bit "interesting" :rolleyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmnfUrkgu2k

Air 22
08-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Actually, the 4 blade I left was a stock 27P Hydro Q4. I kept the Bravo (also stock). The "labbed" prop I left isn't really labbed, it's a 29" Tempest + repitched to a 28.
Cabin looks great. Highly doubt I'll have any time this summer, but hopefully next summer I'll be able to run up there for a visit.

Lenny... you gotta know the diff between a Bravo One and a Hydro Q4 labbed and stock...the only similarity is 4 Blades....they are different animals...

hope u find something u like:)

Lenny
08-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Lenny... you gotta know the diff between a Bravo One and a Hydro Q4 labbed and stock...the only similarity is 4 Blades....they are different animals...

hope u find something u like:)

Dwight, I was going on memory as I never saw them. Just Jeremy driving up to the cottage and telling me what he had... under the water. :)

my bad.... :(

:D

Air 22
08-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Dwight, I was going on memory as I never saw them. Just Jeremy driving up to the cottage and telling me what he had... under the water. :)

my bad.... :(

:D

Lenny No bad's...just more beer:beer:....keep us posted on ur findings...:wink:

fogducker III
08-10-2009, 10:57 PM
This stems from my mistakenly calling the Hydro 27 a Bravo I, I thought it was because of the four blades, I know difference now...:yes: so it is MY bad.....:boggled:

Bottom line, my boat does not like any kind of four blade prop, my theory is that the trim tabs, being as large as they are, and positioned as they are, give plenty of stern lift and I need a prop which will provide plenty of bow lift and at the same time some "grip" ..... the best prop to date has been a "labbed" 27P Mirage Pus, problem was, after I tried it, it was not for sale any more. That prop was finished by a local prop shop for a specific boat so I don't know exactly what was done to it....:confused:

I am very interested in trying Yeller's 29, pitched to 28 Tempest and just for fun, the Mirage Plus 29P. After a number of props and talking with various people on the site, I think the 29 Mirage Plus, re-pitched to 28 that I have coming might just be the trick, we will see......:wink::crossfing:

The Hedgehog
08-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Great pics. Looks like a large time.:pimp:

You all look like you are freezing your A$$ off though.