PDA

View Full Version : 60s-70s Volvo outdrive parts out there?

silverghost
08-08-2009, 09:15 AM
I wish to buy a 60s-70s Donzi classic.
I want a 100% original boat to restore.
BUT~
Before I do buy a project Donzi Classic I want to know about the old original Volvo or Holman-Moody/Volvo outdrive parts availability.
Can you still buy these older Volvo outdrive parts NEW from Volvo or a Volvo marine dealer? (gears, bearings, seals, shafts etc)
What about generic aftermarket internal outdrive hard parts?
Are there New Volvo parts out there that are fairly easy to find?
What parts can you NOT get easiy?
(housings lower units ?)
What about getting new aluminum & SS props?
Who supplies these older Volvo/Holman-Moody drive parts today?

OR ~
Will I have to scrounge for used or New Old Stock Volvo parts on eBay , or sites like this great Donzi website?
Are these old 60s-70s parts more costly than modern outdrive parts?
I always maintain that I can fix anything mechanical `~ ~~
IF I can find the parts !
I have restored many an Antique & Classic cars over the years .
My biggest problem has always been finding the old parts!
It seems I am always looking for that last elusive missing part to finish-up my restoration!
To me this is always a big pain in the butt !
Thank's for your input !
Brad Hunter

gcarter
08-08-2009, 09:21 AM
There's lots of bits, pieces, and whole drives on eBay.
Just set up a search and watch it daily.
Over time you will find everything you need.

mattyboy
08-08-2009, 09:29 AM
the volvo is the least of your problems, things like the interior and hardware like the grab rail and vents will be more of an issue make sure your project has all the hardware

check out www.donzi.org for resto parts

silverghost
08-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Yes I know eBay is great resorce for parts~
BUT
Will it take weeks, months, years.
OR
DECADES to find some rare & hard to find part?
To me that is THE REAL QUESTION !
BRAD

BigGrizzly
08-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Silver G, this is not a problem. there are even many new parts out there. Remember Volvo drive internals mostly interchange. Unlike Merc when they had an issue the fixed the problem not build a new drive. Just check how many different merc drives have been made since the 1960s.

f_inscreenname
08-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Like said, the Volvo is the least of you problems. Mine has been on my boat for almost 37 years. If they work at the start and are taken care of their lives are about infinite. I'm also now pushing about 450hp through the 270 for the last 2/3 years. It laughs at the extra power.
I just got done with a 1972 Monza. Volvo 280. Add a "T" transom shield to it for trim, and then from transom to bow light everything was redone. Only took about 9 months and that is over the winter when outside work is limited.
Also like said before the key to getting it done that fast was when I found the boat it had all it's original do-dads. The things that you will spend a fortune and years looking for. That is the key. Even though it had no motor, all the electrics had to be replaced, the interior was rotten and even having a small tree growing out of it those pieces sold the boat to someone that had done it before.
The funny thing is now that it is done I have had many people tell me they were going to buy it but thought it was to much work and would cost to much after seeing it originally. They just didn't understand at the time that motors can be rebuilt or replaced, gages can be bought about on any website. H.D. has miles of wire and then there is eBay. I can sell the boat now for an reasonable amount and still make money on it. Thats when you you bought the right boat.

That little red boat in the avatar tought me all kinds of lessons like that.

DonziBuoy
08-08-2009, 09:30 PM
The prices are comparable to Merc. The Volvos are built really well, as you would not see at '67 Merc, still on the transom, that would have been changed a couple of times by now. Take a look at ALL ISLAND MARINE, in Oceanside, NY. They seem to have those hard to get parts. And they have new parts.

BigGrizzly
08-09-2009, 08:47 AM
All Island Marine is the largest Volvo dealer on the east cost and the most Knowledgeable. If these guys can not fix it then it is not broke.

staarrl
09-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Did you end up buying an old Donzi? I live in PA and have one for sale. Let me know.
Bob