PDA

View Full Version : Take a guess- which Donzi is it...?

axelkloehn
08-07-2009, 03:07 PM
...you're right. It is a GT21...more than 40 years old.

In fact the cockpit-area was all cut away, someone wanted to make it a family boat. :nilly:

So I decided, while restoring it, to do some slight modification which means rearranging the cockpit-layout, put the steering on right side and move the windscreen further back.

Honestly I wasn't really sure how it turns out, but right now I am absolutely happy with the approach: it keeps the traditional and unique look of a classic Donzi, just a bit more modern. Now I can ride it with or without windscreen or design a nice bolt-on fairing (which I will do tomorrow)... :)

What do you guys think?

Cheers, Axel :germany:

The Hedgehog
08-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Cool project you have there Axel.

axelkloehn
08-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Cool project you have there Axel.

...thanks, will keep you guys informed about the progress...

axelkloehn
08-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Cool, can't wait to see how close to the renderings it comes out :)

I like the lights on the trailer. Is the rear crossbar removeable?

...yep, can pull it out approx. 4 ft... better somebody hits my crossbar and not my drive... :wink:

zelatore
08-07-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm diggin' the funky little RV in the background.

Pull that into the local KOA and I'm betting you'd turn some heads!

Ghost
08-07-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm diggin' the funky little RV in the background.

Pull that into the local KOA and I'm betting you'd turn some heads!

For some reason it seems vaguely reminiscent of a PBY "Catalina" flying boat.

Euro 95
08-07-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a Fiat :italy:

Sweet Cheekz
08-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Axel
Looking sweet Is it summer in Germany? You are cruising on this thing Looking forward to the updates so I can steal all your ideas and make a US model.
Parnell

Just Say N20
08-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Very nice job. Especially when you consider how cut up the dash was on the Starboard side when you started the project.

Looking very good. :yes:

Sweet Cheekz
08-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Similar to this I think

The Hedgehog
08-07-2009, 10:44 PM
You are all a bunch of tyvek wearing freaks! :shocking:

I am itching just looking at this stuff.

Pretty cool though

axelkloehn
08-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Axel
Looking sweet Is it summer in Germany? You are cruising on this thing Looking forward to the updates so I can steal all your ideas and make a US model.
Parnell

...it is summer in north germany now, very hot- perfect for epoxy to dry :). Try to make the fairing today or tomorrow if the weather stays good. They were talking about thunderstorms this weekend and due to spaceproblems I 'm working outside... we'll see. Parnell, how is your progress? The similarity of your cutaway is amazing...was it the same freak doing it here in germany with no success and then flew over to try it on your boat? crazy...

cheers, Axel :germany:

Pismo
08-08-2009, 06:06 AM
Are you going to make it Right hand prop now?

Sweet Cheekz
08-08-2009, 09:02 AM
...it is summer in north germany now, very hot- perfect for epoxy to dry :). Try to make the fairing today or tomorrow if the weather stays good. They were talking about thunderstorms this weekend and due to spaceproblems I 'm working outside... we'll see. Parnell, how is your progress? The similarity of your cutaway is amazing...was it the same freak doing it here in germany with no success and then flew over to try it on your boat? crazy...

Axel
Working outside explains the speed with which you are attacking this thing Mine is sitting inside so on nice days I am running around in the 16 I have a long winter to get it all done. The cutout on the dash I just did and actually it was the glove box so it explains the similar hackjob done in the same area of the dash. I am in the middle of making my fairing and I should be done in a week or so Then I begin strengthening the boat up front. I did get my seats ordered yesterday and I got my extention box yesterday also so progress is being made. Good luck and keep us updated
Parnell

axelkloehn
08-08-2009, 12:14 PM
yeeeaaaahhh....

I knew it will turn out... :superman:

...now a good german beer for a successfull day :cool!:

axelkloehn
08-08-2009, 12:59 PM
...gettin' close, isn't it?

Happy about what I have done, even if it's not a traditional GT21 anymore, but it has the look of a classic donzi indeed, the camber of the deck working together with the fairing, a lot of Donzi-style features in it... very recognizable!!

Planetwarmer
08-08-2009, 04:26 PM
nice job. I cant wait to see it finished.

2donzi2
08-08-2009, 05:03 PM
and fast, too. Boat is starting to come together.

Sweet Cheekz
08-08-2009, 08:30 PM
It looks great Clearly grass does not grow under your feet! What did you make that out of Well done
Parnell

axelkloehn
08-09-2009, 03:57 AM
It looks great Clearly grass does not grow under your feet! What did you make that out of Well done
Parnell

I got some laminated fibreglass-sheets approx. 0.2 inch thick, will glue 2 or three of them together with layers of fibreglass inbetween and epoxy when they are in shape, so that they keep the camber.
It's gonna be a bolt on fairing and painted separately.
I might use the same process later to built a frame for tinted 22-classic style windscreen, so I have the choice between fairing and windscreen.

Cheers, Axel :germany: