PDA

View Full Version : Rock Crawler-w/ 454merc

ITTLFLI
08-07-2009, 02:26 PM
My buddy just finished his 3yr long project. He started from scratch with a flat bed full of tubular steel.

Merc 454/330 pepped to 400hp
Propane
Rockwells

Take a look!

RedDog
08-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Dang that looks like fun. It runs on propane? Why?

RedDog
08-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Rockwells? Why would it have cover illustrations of everyday life scenarios created for The Saturday Evening Post magazine?

I must not understand this compulsion...

The Hedgehog
08-07-2009, 07:03 PM

That is bad ass.

I bet the propane runs better upside down. I have seen video of folks actually righting these from upside down in a ditch. Crazy stuff!

Makes me feel pretty inadequate with my Jeep and 36's.

Where is CJMike? He has a mean crawler. I have seen some videos of his stuff. They called him out as Mike "Let's break something" Knorr!:shocking:

ITTLFLI
08-07-2009, 08:12 PM

Here are a couple reasons ... :wink:

Extremely safe
Runs on any angle
No electronics or fuel pumps
100 to 110 octane
Does not go bad if not used
Automatically compensates for altitude
Removable tanks for easy refilling
Very tolerant to stalling (will not stall unless you stall it)
Restarts instantly after a stall

:shades:

ITTLFLI
08-07-2009, 08:18 PM
That is bad ass.
I bet the propane runs better upside down. I have seen video of folks actually righting these from upside down in a ditch. Crazy stuff!
Makes me feel pretty inadequate with my Jeep and 36's.
Where is CJMike? He has a mean crawler. I have seen some videos of his stuff. They called him out as Mike "Let's break something" Knorr!:shocking:

Yes...IT IS BADD ASS! He went with the YJ theme. I cant wait to ride in it!

We r going to work on a 4 seat design and start that late fall. This one will probably have 1 ton axles with a nasty small block!

Yes that thing dwarfs my CJ5!

Hedge, do you trail ride ever? We r thinking of heading down to southern ky/tn area a couple times after boating season.

ITTLFLI
08-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Rockwells? Why would it have cover illustrations of everyday life scenarios created for The Saturday Evening Post magazine?
I must not understand this compulsion...

So the 400hp big block does not shred them(axles):eek:

:wink:

The Hedgehog
08-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Yes...IT IS BADD ASS! He went with the YJ theme. I cant wait to ride in it!
We r going to work on a 4 seat design and start that late fall. This one will probably have 1 ton axles with a nasty small block!
Yes that thing dwarfs my CJ5!
Hedge, do you trail ride ever? We r thinking of heading down to southern ky/tn area a couple times after boating season.

Yes, I ride.

Don't come down here without talking to me!

That is a great riding area.

Have Jeep and will travel!

CJmike
08-08-2009, 01:38 AM
Watched the build over on Pirate 4x4. Not a big fan of huge trucks. Have seen them in action and they can be a ton of fun to watch. Much more in tune with the small competition style rigs. The fab work on that thing appears to be top notch from what I have seen in pictures though. Kudo's for that.

Big block's need rockwells. But I have seen a zz502 and an aggressive driver break those even. I don't recall what he has in there for parts but if they are stock he might be breaking some stuff. Overson Engineering has the bling for those rockwells.

ITTLFLI
08-10-2009, 08:29 AM
I will let you know when we head down Hedge!

Yes I think he has upgraded the axles. He has another set he want s me to use but I really want to use a 14 bolt and a 60. Ihave been checking around on using an LS motor also. :yes: No matter what power I use I want it to be EFI. Another option is to retro in the Scorpion 377 set up I have!:nilly:

Here are a few pics from saturday...

The Hedgehog
08-10-2009, 09:06 AM
I will let you know when we head down Hedge!
Yes I think he has upgraded the axles. He has another set he want s me to use but I really want to use a 14 bolt and a 60. Ihave been checking around on using an LS motor also. :yes: No matter what power I use I want it to be EFI. Another option is to retro in the Scorpion 377 set up I have!:nilly:
Here are a few pics from saturday...

That is pretty serious. They do a lot of that down here. We have Monsters of Mayhem at Viola (about 20 min down the road) and some place in Sparta (about 20 min up the road). The place at Sparta was on recent 4x4 show. I go over to Harrison Ferry Mountain and run some private stuff.

What are you doing to the CJ5?

ITTLFLI
08-10-2009, 09:52 AM
That is pretty serious. They do a lot of that down here. We have Monsters of Mayhem at Viola (about 20 min down the road) and some place in Sparta (about 20 min up the road). The place at Sparta was on recent 4x4 show. I go over to Harrison Ferry Mountain and run some private stuff.

The 5 will be getting a locker and then thats it. Just an ol beater for the grocery and maybe some mild wheelin trips.

I want to put time and $$ into building a 4 seat crawler.:shades:

The Hedgehog
08-10-2009, 10:06 AM
The 5 will be getting a locker and then thats it. Just an ol beater for the grocery and maybe some mild wheelin trips.
I want to put time and $$ into building a 4 seat crawler.:shades:

That pretty much defines my CJ7. Stock power, 4.88 gears, Moser axels, lift and lockers. A few other goodies here and there but nothing serious. If you bring the CJ5, I can hang out with you but I don't have a serious crawler.

RickyR
08-10-2009, 08:18 PM

Mayhem is a great place. We rode there with some buddies that live in Manchester. You live near there????

I really miss riding in Cowan... Stagecoach, Iron Gap, and Alan Gilmer's property were all our favorite places in TN..

Y'all have anything going on for Labor Day? I think the " Damn Locals" have a ride in Payne's Cove.
Wouldn't mind going back to Mayhem either.

Ricky

The Hedgehog
08-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Mayhem is a great place. We rode there with some buddies that live in Manchester. You live near there????

I really miss riding in Cowan... Stagecoach, Iron Gap, and Alan Gilmer's property were all our favorite places in TN..

Y'all have anything going on for Labor Day? I think the " Damn Locals" have a ride in Payne's Cove.

Ricky

I live about 20 min from Manchester!

I go up on the mountain a good bit in the winter. From April to October I usually hang out on the lakes and whitewater. I will probably be up on Harrison Ferry Mountain one afternoon this week. Tons to do around here.

Tex and I will be hanging around here on Labor Day.

ITTLFLI
08-11-2009, 07:26 AM

Ricky

I haven't ventured down to TN KY mountains since I was a kid buggying with my dad(15 yr ago). I am excited about a few fall winter trips down to that area.

Hedge...you and tex need to make it up to Dale hollow for sat of labor day weekend. I am going to observe (read: hassle) some of the jets and v drives down there during the day saturday. I think gero is usually down there as well!

ITTLFLI
08-11-2009, 07:37 AM
couple of pics from under the hood..

The Hedgehog
08-11-2009, 08:49 AM
I haven't ventured down to TN KY mountains since I was a kid buggying with my dad(15 yr ago). I am excited about a few fall winter trips down to that area.
Hedge...you and tex need to make it up to Dale hollow for sat of labor day weekend. I am going to observe (read: hassle) some of the jets and v drives down there during the day saturday. I think gero is usually down there as well!

Yes, we may have to check that out.

I am lobbying for Robbie to get a cruiser to use for hanging out.

CJmike
08-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Looking back over the pics on pirate the other day. Forgot your buddy got that chassis from Screamin Seamin. I had saw it when it was down at his shop. Many many years ago.

ITTLFLI
08-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Looking back over the pics on pirate the other day. Forgot your buddy got that chassis from Screamin Seamin. I had saw it when it was down at his shop. Many many years ago.

Yes...his chassis got a start there but it did not get to far before he brought it home and redesigned it himself(long story). :yes: His build thread is very impressive! He is very talented!

CJmike
08-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Yep, Screamin Seaman is no more and there is a reason why. Can't beleive he stuck with it over three years. Patiance, he must have tons of it. Very nice build.