PDA

View Full Version : Wiring on Twins

RickSE
08-06-2009, 10:02 PM
So I'm out in TN working on my dad's 33ZX. The boat is a 2000 with low hours (30) & seems to have a problem with the wiring to the trim on the drives. Here's what it does,

Port battery on in any "on" position,
Port drive goes up & down with any switch, dash, throttle & up w/trailer button
Starboard tab goes up & down
Starboard drive does not work
Port tab does not work

Starboard battery on position "2" only, no other position will work
Port drive & Starboard tab work as above as long as Port battery is still on
Starboard drive goes up and down with dash button but only down with the throttle switch & won't go up with trailer button, so "up" only works w/the dash switch
Port tab goes up & down

Am I crazy or is something wrong with this thing? Whatever we do we can't get both drives to trim up with the throttle switch or the trailer button. We can drive it with the dash buttons but this isn't how you want to drive an 80-MPH 33. It seems to me that something is wired incorrectly.

Anybody got a wiring diagram?

gold-n-rod
08-06-2009, 10:38 PM
You have bad (corroded) trim senders on one or both drives.

So I'm out in TN working on my dad's 33ZX. The boat is a 2000 with low hours (30) & seems to have a problem with the wiring to the trim on the drives. Here's what it does,
Port battery on in any "on" position,
Port drive goes up & down with any switch, dash, throttle & up w/trailer button
Starboard tab goes up & down
Starboard drive does not work
Port tab does not work
Starboard battery on position "2" only, no other position will work
Port drive & Starboard tab work as above as long as Port battery is still on
Starboard drive goes up and down with dash button but only down with the throttle switch & won't go up with trailer button, so "up" only works w/the dash switch
Port tab goes up & down
Am I crazy or is something wrong with this thing? Whatever we do we can't get both drives to trim up with the throttle switch or the trailer button. We can drive it with the dash buttons but this isn't how you want to drive an 80-MPH 33. It seems to me that something is wired incorrectly.
Anybody got a wiring diagram?

RickSE
08-07-2009, 07:56 AM
...The boat worked before....

Hard to say. We thought it worked fine when he first put the boat in the water in New Mexico years ago but it's been several years. The last time he used it in Maryland he does remember the battery switch being funky. We'll probably pull the battery switch panel first but also see if we can get access to the back of the dash.

gold-n-rod, are you talking about the sending units on the gimble ring? The limit switches?? If so I don't think he has them since these are HD transom assemblies behind 500EFI's, but I'll look.

zelatore
08-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Not sure what brand battery switches you have, but I've had a number of Guest brand switches fail. The look fine from the front, although sometimes you can feel some roughness when you turn the switch. Pull them off the bulkhead and look at the back any you might see some melting of the plastic. But put an ohm meter on them and in the 'on' position you'll have a high resistance. Not total isolation, but far too high to work correctly.

Caused some weird charging problems for me a couple times.

Easy fix though - just pick up a Perko switch and install. Problem solved.

Trueser
08-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Hard wire each motor and avoid the switch.

I agree on bad switch.

And no trim limit switches are installed.

If it's the same as the Scorpion the panel pulls out easy and you can rewire.

BUIZILLA
08-07-2009, 11:30 AM
I had the same issue on my coach, I have 2 12v switches, one for each side of the coach... one side drove me crazy for a year, finally I dissasembled the switches and found the contacts never did line up correctly from new one the one that controls the one side that was flaking out, cleaned the contacts and re-aligned them internally and all is good now...