PDA

View Full Version : Todd S, speaking of Dams and recovery money...

Lenny
08-04-2009, 08:37 PM
How are you making out there?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/04/kentucky.flood.irpt/index.html

roadtrip se
08-05-2009, 09:40 AM
The tone for the summer was set the week before AOTH when we received enough rain to raise the level 20 feet, in one week!, just destroying the water. We had a good time any way.

It really hasn't stopped since. At least not for very long. Insane.

We got hit by some squalls yesterday, but nothing like what hit a few hours north, We are fine. Grumpy, but fine.

Thanks for checking in Lenny.

The Hedgehog
08-05-2009, 09:47 AM
The tone for the summer was set the week before AOTH when we received enough rain to raise the level 20 feet, in one week!, just destroying the water. We had a good time any way.
It really hasn't stopped since. At least not for very long. Insane.
We got hit by some squalls yesterday, but nothing like what hit a few hours north, We are fine. Grumpy, but fine.
Thanks for checking in Lenny.

It looked like you would be ok. My friends in Louisville got clobbered.

I hope that Byron in Cincy was ok.

Has all of this rain impacted the work on the dam?

Ghost
08-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Wow, I'm trying to recall how low the lake was at AOTH...did they let it stay up or with the dam maintenance concerns, are you getting foul water and no long term lake rise to show for it?

The Hedgehog
08-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Wow, I'm trying to recall how low the lake was at AOTH...did they let it stay up or with the dam maintenance concerns, are you getting foul water and no long term lake rise to show for it?

The lake was actually up from prior year.

roadtrip se
08-05-2009, 10:03 AM
We hooked up with Byron and family in party cove on Saturday. He should be fine where he lives. Jill talked to her mom in Cinci last night and she was fine.

Sunday, we took a tour in the SRT over by the dam, then to Grider Hill, and on to 76 Falls.

The dam work is going on 24/7. The company working on it now has some of the wildest equipment I have ever seen to bore the new dam inside the dam. Some of the locals hired on talk of 80 hour weeks and the goldmine to them that the checks mean to them and their families.

The water release was incredible at the bottom. Water was just flying out of the bottom, not through the generator station as is practice, just being released at huge volumes. They are dropping the water constantly too keep strain off the dam.

We have gotten used to it. A little drying out sure wouldn't hurt.