PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever have Gout?

Barry Eller
08-03-2009, 07:58 PM
I have Gout. Damn it hurts. Dr. stuck a needle in the knuckle of my right big toe, removed fluid. There are crystals of Uric Acid in the joint. Blood test Wednesday will determine the level of my Uric Acid.

If anyone has had Gout before, you know the pain it causes!

McGary911
08-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Barry, I've had it a few times. I had it a few times in the ball of my foot. I didn't even know what it was. Figured I stepped on something hard. It went away after a few days. Last year, I had it in my left ankle. THAT hurt 10X more than when it was in my foot. That got me to the doc, as I really thought i cracked a bone in my ankle (I usually don't go to the doc unless I can see a bone). I was shocked when she told me I had gout. That time they treated me with an anti inflamatory, and course of steroids.
I did some research, and learned that some people just have higher uric acid levels in their blood. It was funny. The guy who I run my department with, got it at the same time. misery loves company. I avoid things like seafood and whole grains, which seems to help.
If I feel a flare up coming on (now that I know, I can feel it a couple of days out when it's barely noticeable), I take about a day's worth of indomethacin. No clue what it is, but the doc gave it to me. Once I do that, it never gets bad. Not yet at least.
I also just started taking some stuff for high blood pressure. The doc had to be careful with what she has me on, as some blood pressure meds can increase uric acid levels. Not good in my case.

Let me know if I can answer anything specific. Like I mentioned, misery loves company, right? :boggled:

The Hedgehog
08-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Been there. It is largely an inherited thing. It is terribly painful.

I had an attack in the knee one time. It had limited external swelling but hurt worse than the time I was in a boat/jet ski accident. The jet ski came through the side of the boat and took my foot through the bottom of the boat. I had 38 stitches and some nice internal bruising. Like I said, the gout hurt worse. I took a cortisone shot and was in the gym a day later. That is the only time I have had to resort to that. Mostly it is nagging and in the toes. I think that for me it is circulatory driven. I have almost never been hit on the warmer months (April - October).

You may want to consider allipurnal (sp?) I don't take it but would if I was attacked on a regular basis.

gcarter
08-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I had it for years and after doing a lot of my own research, I've licked it.
The source of the uric acid is foods that are high in purines. Purines after digestion become uric acid. If your body can't absorb the uric acid, it forms microscopic needles and because of gravity will settle in the soft tissue of the lower extremities.
Foods high in purines;
beer
wine, particularly red wine
animal internals
some people cant handle too much beef
fish and chicken are better
any shell fish
any beans that have been dried...almost the entire US bean harvest is dried. Even frozen beans have been dried and reconstituted
some green veggies like asparagus and spinich

I kid you not, if you eliminate these foods, you'll never have it again.

So, you say you can't eliminate beer and wine, not to mention shrimp and lobster......
It's up to you.
Is the pain worth it?

The Hedgehog
08-03-2009, 08:40 PM
These guys are both right.

Indomethecin is a strong NSAID (anti inflammatory). I do the same as McGary and it usually heads it off at the pass.

Gcarter is right but I can't basically become a vegetarian. I have not learned enough lessons yet.

MOP
08-03-2009, 08:49 PM
I agree with George 100% one of my best friends has Gout and has it under control doing just what George said. Diet has an awful lot to do with what happens with our bodies.
I have extreme arthritis, most of it I got from working in wet bilges many years. But I also spent three years in a "Lyme's Disease" research study, when it was over they told me the vaceen will accelerate my arthritis. I stay away from "Night Bloomers" potato's, peppers, egg plant, tomato's in any form. The difference in both swelling and pain level is dramaticly reduced as long as I stay on the diet. Barry do s a few searches get your diet under control, you will be good as new fairly fast.

Phil

The Hedgehog
08-03-2009, 09:14 PM
I agree with George 100% one of my best friends has Gout and has it under control doing just what George said. Diet has an awful lot to do with what happens with our bodies.
I have extreme arthritis, most of it I got from working in wet bilges many years. But I also spent three years in a "Lyme's Disease" research study, when it was over they told me the vaceen will accelerate my arthritis. I stay away from "Night Bloomers" potato's, peppers, egg plant, tomato's in any form. The difference in both swelling and pain level is dramaticly reduced as long as I stay on the diet. Barry do s a few searches get your diet under control, you will be good as new fairly fast.

Phil

Staying well hydrated helps too.

CHACHI
08-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Been fighting "The Gout" since 2002. Besides "lack of height" my Dad gave me Gout, brother too.

I am on colchicine. My doctor doesn't want to put me on Indomethecin yet, says better stuff coming soon.

Vioxx is my miracle drug, when I have an attack Vioxx makes it disapear in a day and a half, I am almost out.

My Doctor also said alcohol is the worst thing for Gout. Didn't beleive him so after my absolutly worst attack ever in my knee, hobbled me for over a week, I stopped drinking beer.. Three months later, Feeling all good and stuff, I have a few pops one night on vacation, two days later I couldn't walk. Coincidence? Don't know, don't care. Have less than 6 drinks a year.

I enjoy walking, not dragging a leg around.

Get a couple of mild attacks a year, they start off like "what did I smack my knee into" kind of ache, by the time I realize it is a Gout attack, I am into it for a day or so.

I guess I am a slow learner.

Thanks Dad.

Ken

Cuda
08-04-2009, 06:24 AM
A big guy I worked with used to get gout. He told me if he drank the juice from maricino cherries, it would go away.

Never had it myself.

Barry Eller
08-04-2009, 08:30 AM
I also just started taking some stuff for high blood pressure. The doc had to be careful with what she has me on, as some blood pressure meds can increase uric acid levels. Not good in my case.

Let me know if I can answer anything specific. Like I mentioned, misery loves company, right? :boggled:

I like that,"misery loves company"

I am on blood pressure meds also. My Doctor has me taking 800mg Motrin for now. After my blood work gets to her, she will address a new course of action. Looks like I will have a "Garage Sale" for beer and red wine!:frown:

Lenny
08-04-2009, 08:53 AM
beer
beef
is the pain worth it?

yes :D

The Hedgehog
08-04-2009, 09:04 AM

Agreed!:kingme:

Barry Eller
08-04-2009, 10:04 AM

Agreed!:kingme:

Garage Sale Canceled:kingme::beer::drinkbeer:

The Hedgehog
08-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Garage Sale Canceled:kingme::beer::drinkbeer:

Ah man, Weasel and I were going to head over in the ZX in Sept to load it up like a smuggler:drinkbeer::alky:

Barry Eller
08-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Ah man, Weasel and I were going to head over in the ZX in Sept to load it up like a smuggler:drinkbeer::alky:
Give me a call when you are in the area. Maybe meet up at Portofino Boardwalk and have a cold one.

http://www.visitpensacolabeach.com/island/default.asp

McGary911
08-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Give me a call when you are in the area. Maybe meet up at Portofino Boardwalk and have a cold one.

Thread starts off "If anyone has had Gout before, you know the pain it causes!"

and somehow morphs into: "Maybe meet up at Portofino Boardwalk and have a cold one."

And see who's gout is worse in the AM, LOL.

I LOVE this place :bonk::drinkbeer::drinkbeer:

VetteLT193
08-04-2009, 11:10 AM
I had it for years and after doing a lot of my own research, I've licked it.
The source of the uric acid is foods that are high in purines. Purines after digestion become uric acid. If your body can't absorb the uric acid, it forms microscopic needles and because of gravity will settle in the soft tissue of the lower extremities.
Foods high in purines;
beer
animal internals
some people cant handle too much beef
fish and chicken are better
any shell fish
any beans that have been dried...almost the entire US bean harvest is dried. Even frozen beans have been dried and reconstituted
some green veggies like asparagus and spinich

I kid you not, if you eliminate these foods, you'll never have it again.

So, you say you can't eliminate beer and wine, not to mention shrimp and lobster......
It's up to you.
Is the pain worth it?

That's a great post George. My father in law has Gout, and he swears after drinking it acts up. this confirms it. He drinks red wine and beer. I'll tell him to stick to something else. :wink:

The Hedgehog
08-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Sounds good

The Hedgehog
08-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Thread starts off "If anyone has had Gout before, you know the pain it causes!"

and somehow morphs into: "Maybe meet up at Portofino Boardwalk and have a cold one."

And see who's gout is worse in the AM, LOL.

I LOVE this place :bonk::drinkbeer::drinkbeer:

I am thinking a few cold ones followed by a steak and lobster feast with lots of red wine. Don't for forget a cup of crab bisc and nice desert. For sides we will have both spinach and asparagus. I will stub my toe in the am just to get some swelling started.

:rock::drinkbeer::alky:

gcarter
08-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I am thinking a few cold ones followed by a steak and lobster feast with lots of red wine. Don't for forget a cup of crab bisc and nice desert. For sides we will have both spinach and asparagus. I will stub my toe in the am just to get some swelling started.

I'll send you a card in rehab! :wink:

Barry Eller
08-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Yep, Misery Loves Company!!!

George, I don't like the pain, I am at the point in my life that I'm starting to think about growing up...a little...moderation???:crossfing::wink::pizza:

gcarter
08-04-2009, 12:57 PM
What I miss more than anything is refried beans w/my Mexican food.
Next would come 1 or 2 dozen butterflied fried jumbo shrimp (10 count).
Haven't really had any in over ten years.
Sometimes I'll have one shrimp, or one chip loaded w/refried beans!
What a treat!

Barry Eller
08-04-2009, 01:54 PM
What I miss more than anything is refried beans w/my Mexican food.
Next would come 1 or 2 dozen butterflied fried jumbo shrimp (10 count).
Haven't really had any in over ten years.
Sometimes I'll have one shrimp, or one chip loaded w/refried beans!
What a treat!

Tell me if you think my diet weekend before last, kicked this stuff off...Porterhouse as big as a bicycle seat, thick as a mules lip; grilled Cobia; grilled shrimp; beer and red wine, and a couple dirty martinis scattered about. Of course there was baked beans and potato salad, and a good salsa with chips. That was Saturday night and Sundays meals. The gout hit Monday, a week ago, in the middle of the night.

Also, I'm like MOP, I have arthritis. My hands were hurting from working on the Donzi, the Aleve was not cutting the pain...I bought some Arthritis Formula BC Powders that contain a large dose of aspirin. My DR. told me aspirin can set off the gout too.

Was that my last "BIG BINGE"? Maybe...I will try to be more careful from now own, knowing the possible consequences.

BUIZILLA
08-04-2009, 02:05 PM
damm, and I thought *I* was falling apart... :nilly:

Tim Morris
08-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Staying well hydrated helps too.
That's the conclusion I came to as well. I've had gout for 25 years.
Last few years, it only attacks 1-2 times and I pop an antidote pill.
It's gone overnight if I catch it early.
Tried daily allopurinal for a while, but I don't like drugs if I can avoid them.
It will strike me in the wrist as often as the foot.
I was told years ago to limit shell fish, red wine and beer.
Working the odds, I gave up the first two completely and doubled
up on the third.
As Hedge says 'hydrated helps'. And I am a helpful guy who likes
to help himself.

The Hedgehog
08-04-2009, 02:42 PM
That's the conclusion I came to as well. I've had gout for 25 years.
Last few years, it only attacks 1-2 times and I pop an antidote pill.
It's gone overnight if I catch it early.
Tried daily allopurinal for a while, but I don't like drugs if I can avoid them.
It will strike me in the wrist as often as the foot.
I was told years ago to limit shell fish, red wine and beer.
Working the odds, I gave up the first two completely and doubled
up on the third.
As Hedge says 'hydrated helps'. And I am a helpful guy who likes
to help himself.

Yes indeed. I traded red wine for vodka. Life seems to be better.

Oh hit the red wine now and then but try to limit it to a glass or two.

Last Real Texan
08-04-2009, 03:04 PM
You guys are all a bunch of Genetic Mutants!

Tex:kingme::kingme::kingme:

KerrLake
08-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Yes indeed. I traded red wine for vodka. Life seems to be better.

Oh hit the red wine now and then but try to limit it to a glass or two.

Your my kind of guy. This thread is cracking me up.

BUIZILLA
08-04-2009, 08:29 PM
keep drinking like that and the gout will turn to grout.. :eek:

CHACHI
08-05-2009, 06:25 AM
keep drinking like that and the gout will turn to grout.. :eek:...then call Cuda.

Ken

Cuda
08-05-2009, 07:10 AM
...then call Cuda.

Ken
I think it's the only malady I haven't had. :(

Team Jefe
08-05-2009, 10:39 PM
sounds like a pretty common affliction here....it used to he called the "Royal Disease" since you have to have alot of animal proteins and alcohol to set it off...po' folks couldn't get that stuff way back in teh day.

I too have it pretty bad, as does my dad. Allopurinol daily, Indomethican for the flareups and Colchocine for the really bad times:eek:

I also carry a list of Acidic & Alykaline Foods... the best (oddly enough) are Lemons. I keep a big jar of Pure lemon juice in teh house, then watermelon, Limes, Kelp, Grapes, Mango Dates, Papyaya, Cantaloupe ....and Cayenne Pepper (capsicum) So I'm covered. Also, Black Cherries are great...they even sell cherry juice pills as a gout remedy...I have some. Garlic helps as well...and is good for teh heart

All teh bad Stuff G mentioned is bad....I can live without beer and wine...I have to anyway. and I can live without a big Porterhouse.....its the seafood that gets me. Had shrimp today for lunch and can feel it in my feet this evening.

Some surprises for me on teh BAD list: Cranberries and Artificial Sweetners

LKSD
08-06-2009, 03:58 PM
:shocking: Yikes, just started reading this thread.. :eek: I hope I dont have the signs of that, Im starting to feel my aging lately.. I know I have been warned to spruce my diet a bit more.. This gout looks like it sux.. I hope I just keep the clout & dont end up having gout!. lol Jamie :angel:

Barry Eller
08-06-2009, 07:33 PM
:pimp::outtahere:
:shocking: I hope I just keep the clout & dont end up having gout!. lol Jamie :angel:
Clout or Clap?:kingme:
Penicillin will help...:outtahere:

LKSD
08-06-2009, 07:41 PM
:pimp::outtahere:
Clout or Clap?:kingme:
Penicillin will help...:outtahere:

Lol.....:nilly: Thats a good one.. :D Jamie